PDA

View Full Version : Service with Disney Dining Experience

snerd475
07-27-2008, 10:37 AM
I've read on these boards so many stories of bad service when people are on the DDP, but has anyone had bad experiences with DDE? I'm considering getting this for upcoming trips, and if it makes the service worse, it's not worth it.
I'm thinkin' that since the 18% is included, service should not suffer, however, that also could be a reason for bad service, knowing they will get their 18% even if they are awful.
Any insight? tia

DizneyRox
07-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I believe the included gratuity damaged service on the DDP. Thus I have no reason to believe it won't suffer with the DDE as well. I will reserve judgement on this, however I will guarantee that if service isn't worth the 18% I will be getting management involved, etc. Actually, I will probably be taking cash so I can leave EXACTLY what I think is appropriate.

Gusgus
07-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I hope not to confuse things here, I thought they removed the 18% from the DDP and now each person needs to tip in cash or charge. Am I wrong?

IceCreamlover
07-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Are you sure the gratuity is included with the DDE? Is this something new? We've had it the past 2 years & I don't remember the tip being included. Also, never had any trouble with service. For us, it's well worth the money.

snerd475
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Are you sure the gratuity is included with the DDE? Is this something new? We've had it the past 2 years & I don't remember the tip being included. Also, never had any trouble with service. For us, it's well worth the money.

Yes, I believe it began in January of this year. I've never done it before, as we have always gotten CS in the past, but I have a lot of ADRs for December, and I'm sure it will pay off. I just don't want any 'tude from service.

Maleficent's Dad
07-27-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm thinkin' that since the 18% is included, service should not suffer, however, that also could be a reason for bad service, knowing they will get their 18% even if they are awful.
You do not have to produce the DDE card until the end of your meal when you ask for your check. Thus, your server does NOT know whether or not you have the DDE.

I hope not to confuse things here, I thought they removed the 18% from the DDP and now each person needs to tip in cash or charge. Am I wrong?
The DDP - YES, the gratuity has been removed and you have to pay out of pocket.
The DDP is different than the DDE

Are you sure the gratuity is included with the DDE? Is this something new?
Gratuity is not "included." It is now automatically added on when you use the DDE. If you feel that the service doesn't deserve 18%, you can get the restaurant manager and adjust your tip.

Jarrod
07-27-2008, 03:49 PM
We have used our DDE several times this year and service has not suffered since they made the 18% gratuity automatic. But, like someone else said, we don't ever present the DDE card until we receive the check at the end of the meal.

sillyolbear
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
We've been asked at restaurant check-in if we have DDP or DDE and having DDE has been noted on the slip that the server picks up off the table when they first come to the table. Even with that foreknowledge, we've had very good service with the DDE.

Aggie97
07-27-2008, 04:39 PM
We've used the DDE card several times this year and have received consistently good-to-excellent service. Sometimes we are asked about it at check-in, in which case the server knows in advance; other times we have not presented the card until the end of the meal. I do not feel that it has made any difference for us in service quality. :mickey:

SurferStitch
07-27-2008, 08:17 PM
We've had nothing but top notch service using DDE, both before and after the gratuity was included. We always let our server know, as well as the host/hostess, that we are on the DDE before the meal. We also had excellent service on DDP when gratuity was included (we had that before we started with DDE).

The only place we've ever had rude and downright terrible service was at Citricos. Once we paid OOP, and another (about 6 years later) we had the DDE before gratuity was included, and both times the service was horrendous. Other than that, nothing but the best!

Crow
07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Im sure some if they know they are getting the tip anyway mayb not provide as good as service...but I havent had any instances of it really. You can still talk to the mgr if theres a problem so it shouldnt make a difference. But also dont forget to talk to the mgr if you have a good experience!
I used DDE in Feb; there is an 18% gratuity automatically added in. When they asked if I was on DDP, I said no but DDE
I will be using both DDP & DDE in Sept.
last yr the tip was included in DDP & I still had great service in Marrakesh. now the tip isnt included in DDP this yr. I think it must be a tough job though, having to keep running & trying to keep everyones orders straight & figure who is on DDP, DDE etc

hubbyofadisneyholic
07-28-2008, 08:08 PM
When we were there last month we used the DDE card for 2 dinners and two character breakfasts.
Service for breakfast at Tusker house and dinner at Hollywood & Vine left a LOT to be desired and we will not be returning to either anytime soon.
Service for our breakfast at Chef Mickey's was not as good as it has been in the past, but was acceptable.
Service for dinner at Biergarten was nop notch, as always.

So, I guess it's like the level of customer service everywhere else at WDW in recent years...inconsistent.

DDuck66
07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
We have had the DDE for the past year and the service has been the same with or without the card. Most of the time the staff remembers to add the gratuity but several times they have forgotten. The only problem that I have is with Buffets. 18% seems to be a big tip for someone that just gets you a drink. But on the positive side, I have had several wait staff go above and beyond at H&V and 1900 Park Fair. I usually either let the 18% stand or give more if the service is excellent. We are probably going to renew our card next month.

dixielandings
07-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Our most recent FS meal was at San Angel Inn and our server did ask at the beginning if we were on DDP or "using any discounts today". I thought that was interesting. I really would rather be incognito if there's even a possibility that our service will be "less than", you know?

Frankly, I don't agree with "gratuity automatically included" in any case. I understand that some people abuse servers and are "tip jerks" but that's not us. And a tip, by definition, is a bonus. I'd rather the servers just get a raise and have the raise worked into the cost of my meal. I actually enjoy tipping a great server. But if I don't have the choice, it doesn't carry any weight.

To the OP, it's hard to say whether service has suffered b/c of the discounts or just b/c it's hard to find really good, consistent anywhere these days, even WDW.

SBETigg
07-29-2008, 10:01 AM
I may be one of the few who doesn't believe there's a difference in service depending on method of payment, DDP, DDE, or paying OOP. Why would a server sneer at any of them and risk a tip? I tip equally well regardless of my payment method or discounts, but depending on service.

I think some servers just shouldn't be in the service business, and others could be just having a bad day. But I truly believe that every server approaches a table with the same attitude as the next. Most of our experiences at WDW restaurants have been good. Some have been outstanding, and some have been far less than stellar. Our worst service experience was before the Dining Plan was implemented. Our best was with the Dining Plan. I don't think it has any bearing.

dixielandings
07-29-2008, 10:56 AM
I may be one of the few who doesn't believe there's a difference in service depending on method of payment, DDP, DDE, or paying OOP. Why would a server sneer at any of them and risk a tip? I tip equally well regardless of my payment method or discounts, but depending on service.

I think some servers just shouldn't be in the service business, and others could be just having a bad day. But I truly believe that every server approaches a table with the same attitude as the next. Most of our experiences at WDW restaurants have been good. Some have been outstanding, and some have been far less than stellar.

I agree mostly. I do not think at all that all servers are created equally and some should find a different job that they would better suited for.

The point is, with DDE (which we have), gratuity is automatically included. So our servers already know that they're getting a tip and how much it's going to be. The only incentive they have to be excellent servers(other than the satisfaction of being excellent servers) is the outside chance that they might get more than the included 18%.

SBETigg
07-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I agree mostly. I do not think at all that all servers are created equally and some should find a different job that they would better suited for.

The point is, with DDE (which we have), gratuity is automatically included. So our servers already know that they're getting a tip and how much it's going to be. The only incentive they have to be excellent servers(other than the satisfaction of being excellent servers) is the outside chance that they might get more than the included 18%.

Yes, I understood the point, thank you. I still think most people have a work ethic that would prevent them from discriminating depending on how much they think they will get out of it in the end or if the tip is earned regardless of performance.

Why would anyone deliberately do a poor job knowing it will reflect on them in the end, whether in tips or in job performance? Would you? I would still have a pride in what I do. Even if a tip is guaranteed and not based on actual service, why give less than your best? Maybe I have too much faith.

DizneyRox
07-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Even if a tip is guaranteed and not based on actual service, why give less than your best? Maybe I have too much faith.
Yep... Around here, even without an included tip I've seen some horrible servers. When I know tip is included, unfortunately, you almost need to stay on top of the servers to get what you want/need.

Now in WDW, they are having a hard time finding decent help. I have noticed a significant decline in the quality of CM (I really hesitate even calling them CMs) in recent years. Things that would have meant immediate termination don't seem to concern many of them. I think 1/2 the time they are just happy to have people show up for work.