PDA

View Full Version : Milestone for my oldest, I am a wreck!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-27-2008, 01:07 AM
My son heads to camp tomorrow. 7 days, 6 nights sleep away with Boy Scouts. He has never spent more then a night away from home. I have left him for hospital stays, a few days away with my husband, etc, but never for this long.
The camp is a little over one hour away.
He is really excited to go but, anxious too. I have not let on that I am nervous at all. I just keep telling him he is going to have a great time. 6 of his closest friends are going as well. He is bunking with his oldest buddy, so that is good.
I know he is going to be fine. I am just having "Mom" issues.:blush: He is going to be 11 on August 6th. I know he is ready. I just don't know if I am. I packed all of his stuff and we got his bike all ready. He is all set to go.

Have I totally lost it or is this to be expected when your child leaves you for this long the first time? Someone tell me I am not nuts!:blush:

Dsnygirl
07-27-2008, 01:21 AM
:) No, you are not nuts!! :)

I can totally imagine I will be the same way... my oldest is turning 10, and although she's not doing "sleep away" camp this year, I can see it coming in the next year or two, and I'm sure I will have the exact same reaction -- and I went to "sleep away" camp and LOVED it!

One of my co-workers has a DD who is 14, and she just went on a 3-night hike with her youth group... and her mom was a total wreck... "what-if's" that even she said were totally ridiculous, but she couldn't help it... so no, you are completely normal and neurotic and hopelessly worried about your babies, just like all of us, no matter their age... ;)

PittFan
07-27-2008, 01:37 AM
If you weren't nervous or worried, then I'd be worried! You are NORMAL. IMO, we as parents fail to see how fast our children grow and mature. There is nothing wrong with this, we do it because we love them. We always want what WE feel is best or what WE feel is SAFE! My only hope that they realize, how much we truly do care, and care as much for their children someday as we care for them.

Cinderelley
07-27-2008, 04:13 AM
You're 100% normal. I go through "withdrawals" every time my kids hit a milestone - and the oldest is 18. :D

mrsgaribaldi
07-27-2008, 08:19 AM
You're not nuts but you better start getting used to it. It's only going to get worse;) I hope he has a great time and that you are ok too:pixie::pixie::pixie:

princessjojo
07-27-2008, 08:39 AM
You, as a parent, should be worried. That's part of your duty. Our younger son went away to Boy Scout camp for the first time this year also. I was a wreck the day he left. But his older brother was with him also, so that did ease my concerns some, but then I had to worry about the brother-on-brother battles that were sure to occur. Just remind yourself that they don't let just anyone become scout leaders, and that he'll more than likely be around older boys as well. Those older boys are often of another breed and want to see the younger ones do well also. Sure they're going to play and cut up, but that's just being kids. There're so many safeguards in place that he'll be fine. We sent the boys with their phones, though we don't think we were suppose to. But kids practically sleep and bathe with them now. They called us each evening around 10 every day until their batteries died.

Just be ready to scrub him good when he gets home. A week camping in the heat makes for a dirty boy. He'll have a blast.

murphy1
07-27-2008, 09:39 AM
Totally understandable! My two oldest girls (9 & 6) just went next door last night for their first sleepover, I was up a couple times, but knew they were fine as I'm good friends with their mom (she's a single mom and teacher). Nobody came home, so I think it went well! And my oldest just got her ears pierced a couple of weeks ago, all these changes....:)

kakn7294
07-27-2008, 10:09 AM
I feel your pain! Our school takes the 4th grade on a 3 day, 2 night "nature" trip about 2 hrs from home. The kids are not allowed to call home during that time. I totally panicked about sending my oldest DD when it was her time to go and I almost didn't. I even bought her a cell phone so she could call home even though she wasn't allowed to have it - and she never called - she had a great time!

Sean Riley Taylor's Mom
07-27-2008, 10:14 AM
I feel your pain! Our school takes the 4th grade on a 3 day, 2 night "nature" trip about 2 hrs from home. The kids are not allowed to call home during that time. I totally panicked about sending my oldest DD when it was her time to go and I almost didn't. I even bought her a cell phone so she could call home even though she wasn't allowed to have it - and she never called - she had a great time!

This is part of my problem! He wanted to take a cell so he could say "Goodnight" to us each evening. He is not allowed to take a phone. We will see how he handles that.
We are leaving here at 11am. The moment of truth is almost here, lol.

Thanks for all of your thoughts everyone. I am glad to hear I am not crazy!

Tink&Goofy
07-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I hope your son got off to camp today without any issues.

My middle DD who is profoundly deaf went away to camp at age 8 for 5 nights. Her older sister was there as well, but in a totally separate area due to their age difference. I was a wreck that week. I was not only worrying about homesickness, and her needing a night light - but also how was the whole hearing/equipment issue going to work. She came home with a HUGE smile on her face. LOVED every minute. This summer was her 5th year going, and I never had any concerns after the first year.

I'm sure your son will do fine - especially since he has some buddies with him. I believe at most camps they keep the kids so busy, they don't have time to be homesick. Try to relax. He will be home before you know it!

conorsmom2000
07-28-2008, 09:49 AM
Oh, I so feel your pain! I haven't been able to bring myself to send Conor yet!! :blush: My deal was that he could only go if Mike went - and with Mike's job ending last week (when the camp was) he couldn't go. Maybe in a year or two, when he's 9 or 10, I'd be ready....but right now, uh uh.

But, I do know your son will have a great time! My brothers all went to Scout camp and they had a blast - it's a great experience for them. But, what you are feeling is totally normal and I think any parent here totally knows what you are going through!!! :hug: