PDA

View Full Version : Really upset about upcoming trip...

#1disneyfan
07-25-2008, 06:49 PM
We have this really great trip planned, a 5 night at Poly stay followed by 4 nights on the Disney Wonder. That part is great!

Here is the part I am really upset about. I have been sick for over 4 weeks. I was being treated for Bronchitis and just when I was starting to feel a little better, I am sick all over again. I went to the doctor's again today and they gave me a really heavy duty antibiotic, a breathing treatment, and told me if I am not better in 10 days I need to have a CatScan of my chest. So basically they don't seem to know what is wrong with me. I am so afraid that I will not be well for our vacation, which we have been waiting forever to take. I just want to feel better! And I wish they knew what was wrong and could treat me correctly!

Here's hoping all will be well, we leave in 17 days :confused:!!

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 07:03 PM
First off Get Well Soon!

Here is what bugs me about this:
I went to the doctor's again today and they gave me a really heavy duty antibiotic

Why do Doctors do this? An antibiotic will do nothing for Bronchitis. Bronchitis is usually caused by viruses, antibiotics (medicines that kill bacteria) usually do not help. If they don't know whats wrong they should not be giving you antibiotics. That is how things like MRSA become resistant to drugs!

I have found a Dr. that has more in his bag than a big bottle of anitbiotics, which unfortunatley for all of us seems to be most Doctors cure all...

#1disneyfan
07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah I know, bronchitis is a viral infection. However what I forgot to mention is that I have a sinus infection. I think that is what they are treating with the antibiotic.

And without getting to graphic, I definitely have an infection. I had a chest xray also, but I still think they are wondering about Pneumonia.

I don't know, I just want to be better. This has been the worse summer to date. I really just want to enjoy my upcoming vacation. We have saved for a long time for this.

Thanks for the well wishes, btw!

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry to "go off" but as someone who had to deal with MRSA this whole antibiotic thing burns my hide! Sounds like you do have a need for the antibiotics...:ill:

I will send some Pixie dust your way and I am sure you'll be on the mend and on the way to see Mickey and Friends as planned!!

faline
07-25-2008, 07:29 PM
Lots of wishes and pixie dust in hopes you are all better by time your vacation date rolls around! :pixie::pixie::pixie:

dnickels
07-25-2008, 07:32 PM
I have to think that a big reason doctors prescribe antibiotics all the time is that if they tell the patient "you have a viral infection, you just need to wait a week and your body will fight it off" then patients will get upset that their doctor didn't do anything and they wasted their time making a visit. The patient goes home, takes the antibiotics and thinks that's why they're getting better -placebo affect- when in reality it's just time that makes the difference.

I know exactly what you mean though, unless it's something that's bothering me for weeks and weeks I don't bother going to a doctor since chances are that if you have an infection it's viral rather than bacterial.

I like to think that also explains why I never get sick! :thumbsup:

mouseketeer mom
07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm sorry you're sick. Even when you get better, you will feel run down and tired out for awhile. You might need to take it a little slower in WDW, but who knows? Maybe that will give you just the boost to recover all of the way!

mickey&missy
07-25-2008, 09:34 PM
lots of :pixie: for you! I hope your feeling better soon!

DISNEYLOVERS5
07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Prayers And Pixie Dust Heading Your Way.

Dsnygirl
07-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Sending cruiseship's full of :pixie: :pixie: :pixie: that you'll be better by the time your trip arrives!! :thumbsup:

Beast_fanatic
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
:pixie: travelling your way! Hope they figure out what is wrong with you soon and that you're rapidly on the road to recovery!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-25-2008, 11:53 PM
I can sympathize! I got bronchitis last year 3 days after we got home from Disney. It took 3 months before I felt better! I have to admit that I've never had it that bad before. My doctor said that they can do a three dimensional cat scan that will give them a better look at whats going on. I hope you feel better quickly and are able to enjoy your trip to it's fullest!

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Sorry to "go off" but as someone who had to deal with MRSA this whole antibiotic thing burns my hide!

1) Sometimes.
2) I take antibiotics before go to the dentist, even for a cleaning.
3) Prevents infection.

pink
07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this. It's one thing if you're sick but you don't know what it is, I know how you feel. I really hope you get better before you trip! :mickey:

Minnie Imagineer
07-26-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm sorry you're sick...feel better
:pixie:

think positive!

FUN
07-26-2008, 02:29 PM
hope things go well for your trip

#1disneyfan
07-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for all your well wishes! I hope to be feeling better :ill: before it's time to go!

Thanks again!

Mousemates
07-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Sorry to hear about your illness...been battling a case of Bronchitis/sinusitus myself for a while...it just drains you and takes the wind out of your sails...lots of pixiedust your way and a prayer for you from the mousemates hideaway in the mountains of East Tennessee.

lindique
07-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Bronchitis can be bacterial or viral - I get it frequently. Usually the initial infection is viral and secondary infections are bacterial (at least, that's what I've been told - I'm not a medical professional) . And, unfortunately, it takes a long time to go away. Sending you Pixie Dust!

conorsmom2000
07-28-2008, 12:34 AM
I truly hope you are feeling better very soon so you can enjoy your trip!!! :mickey:

I was really, really sick this past April - sicker than I can ever really remember being. I was told it was Bronchitis, but when I still had a fever 4 days later I went back to the Dr and they did an x-ray, and it turns out it was a lower respiratory infection (basically almost pneumonia, but not quite pneumonia yet..) They put me on a heavy duty antibiotic and within a few days I was feeling 1,000 times better. So, whatever is going on with you, I truly hope the meds help!!! :thumbsup:

Faver
07-28-2008, 02:45 PM
I'd be very anxious too. I'm sure you'll feel better in time for your trip! You'll see........:minnie::minnie:

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 03:17 PM
Take care of yourself-
Do as much as you can to get better before you go-
Airplanes etc always make illnesses worse-

Maybe just being in WDW will make your adrenoline keep you going- but don't overdo yourself.-
Also remember to pack some Vicks- the cure-all:)

i hope you get better soon!!

KT1234
07-29-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you're sick! Bronchitis and sinusitis really make you feel terrible so I can really relate. Try to stay optimistic...maybe have a "disney" night where you watch specials about Disney or discuss the expectations of the trip with your family. I know it's easy for me to say not being in that situation but even when I'm feeling terribke, having my family get my mind off of feeling sick helps...even for just a little while. Best wishes and pixie dust are being sent your way for a speedy recovery before your trip :tink:

#1disneyfan
07-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Thank you all for your warm wishes for my recovery! I am praying that at the end of this round of antibiotics I will feel at least 70% better than I have been.

Other than these horrid antibiotics, I have upped my Vitamin C and have been diligent about taking my multiple vitamin. I am determined to get better!

Thanks again!