PDA

View Full Version : Disney Marathon

Imagineer1981
07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
I wanted to perhaps participate in the Marathon...does anyone know the dates and has anyone done it before? Is it worth it?

caryrae
07-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Found this on Info Central.

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend
January 8-11, 2009
Disney's Health and Fitness Expo Jan 8-10, 2009
Family Fun Run Kids' Races Jan 9-10, 2009
Disney's 5K Family Fun Run Jan 9, 2009
Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge Jan 10-11, 2009
Walt Disney World Half Marathon Jan 10, 2009
Walt Disney World Marathon Jan 11, 2009

brewcrew26
07-25-2008, 05:04 PM
You can find more information on the Wide World of Sports website. I believe it's disneyworldsports.com, otherwise you can google it. I believe the route map is on there, the information about hotels to get discounts, and how to register online for the event.

We just made our accomodations ressies this morning for the Princess 5K in March. We were surprised at how much cheaper the room rates and tickets were. For three people it's cheaper than our honeymoon!

SAHDad
07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
You can find a lot of information on disneyrunning.com - which has some very friendly forums. Here is my personal $.02

The good:
It's Disney.
I've only run the full once (Goofy in 08), but ran the half in 06. Both times it was very well organized.
Nice bling
Decent expo (though I wish more Disney running clothes were available elsewhere during the weekend)
Decent entertainment along the course, good crowd energy in spots.
Flat, potentially fast course.
Easy for spectators to follow you along course
Great chance to see rarely-seen characters

The bad
Course can be very tight, especially along the World Showcase or along the path by Boardwalk
Course has some very long, less-than-entertaining spots
Early start pretty much means 2 days of little park time (not wanting to be tired from day before, and too tired on day off).

But - it's a good course, all things considered. It's a great first-timer course, and, unless you are trying for a PR, just relax and have fun. Make sure you take a camera, so you can have your pics taken with the characters.

spiderkd
07-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Out of curiosity, how does this affect normal park attendence?
Do they shut off the parts being used for the runners?
I'm going to be there when it's on and it would be cool to cheer on the runners but is it better to leave the world for a bit while this event takes place?

SAHDad
07-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Out of curiosity, how does this affect normal park attendence?
Do they shut off the parts being used for the runners?
I'm going to be there when it's on and it would be cool to cheer on the runners but is it better to leave the world for a bit while this event takes place?

I'm not checking the appropriate sites, so this might be a little off, but it's probably in the ballpark.

The race starts at 6 am, and goes from Epcot to MK to AK to DHS to Epcot (where it ends). There are some significant road closures, but the Disney buses can get around, and the monorail works fine. Since there is a cut-off time, measured at various points (ie, if you are not out of the MK by 8:45, they pick you up), MK is only minimally affected. AK opens about the cut-off time for the runners, so it should be fine. DHS and Epcot have some issues, but you can avoid the race route - it's fairly well marked, and crossing in front of the runners is acceptable, if you can do so without causing them to lose pace.

And, if you do choose to go cheer - thanks. We always appreciate it.

kdbianchini
07-28-2008, 08:13 AM
I have been a cheer-er for the marathon twice. It's fun to watch! The only thing that it affects are that some road ways are closed off and some of the park walkways are blocked off, but not to the extent where it would be a problem. The buses know how to get around. As for the parks, we have had no problems getting around and the attendence is (in my opinion) slow. Most rides are walk-ons.

Flower
07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
For 2009 the Goofy is already sold out, the half marathon is already sold out, and the marathon is at 75% capacity - so register soon for the Marathon if you are going to do it!

The marathon is Sunday January 11th, 2009
The half is Saturday January 10th, 2009
The Goofy means that you run both the half & the full on back 2 back days! You get 3 race medals upon completion - the half, the full and a special Goofy medal!

They also offer kids races during the expo (My 2 boys both 'ran' in January - it was great fun, each child that enters gets a medal!) Then there is a 5K at Animal Kingdom on Friday January 10th.

Just an FYI, the Goofy and the Half usually sell out by February, registration for the following year begins the day AFTER the current years race.

We have been at WDW several times during the marathon - DH was registered a few years back but was unable to run due to an injury. He ran it this past January and really enjoyed the course.

As for how it affects the parks - the race course is pretty well blocked off as it is for parades. MK was packed with spectators along Main Street - if you arrive early at the parks and are there to cheer on the races you do not need to pay admission up until a certain time! (I think it was before 8 am, they do not advertise this). Surprisingly I was able to find DH along Main Street and catch a few photos of him as he ran thru the castle!

EPCOT was better spread out as it is pretty well where the race ends. World Showcase was blocked off because it was early in the morning and WS does not normally open until 11, so the crowds were thick at the WS entrance.

As a spectator, I did not attempt to 'race' to MGM or AK, the crowds would have been too thick and everyone was saying about bus delays.I was surprised that I was able to locate DH as often as I did. I saw him 2 times at the EPCOT race start after (They do a continuous loop and branch off after the second go-round). I saw him running up MS USA, running out the castle and running back down MS USA, I then headed back to EPCOT and caught him leaving WS. I then had to boot it to the finish line - he finished well before I got there. The times when I saw him we were able to switch up water bottles and such.

It was a good race and he would like to do it again, I think he wants to try the Goofy in 2010.

Be warned that you will not get much sleep the night before the race. Race start is 6 am and you have to be at the corrals by 4 am.

HJL413
07-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I am registered for the marathon and we are making it a family trip. We are also being joined by our great friends and their DD. We will look at the maps and try and figure out good viewing spots. It just looks like so much fun and a great way to see all 4 parks

HARRY

Young@Heart
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I am not a runner at all. :blush: I work out 2-3 times a week at the gym (tredmill and elliptical) but rarely get over 3 miles/hr. However, I would love to do a WDW marathon. Is this something only experienced runners are allowed to do?

Melanie
07-30-2008, 12:56 AM
My husband has done the marathon twice, and did the inaugural Goofy's Challenge. He really enjoys this marathon. And the week after, the parks are heavenly with low crowds. Great time to visit!

Greenlawler
07-30-2008, 12:57 PM
I wanted to perhaps participate in the Marathon...does anyone know the dates and has anyone done it before? Is it worth it?

I ran last year. It was my first marathon. It was awesome! You should go for it. I have already registered for the Goofy Challenge 09. It was just a great experiance. My wife ran the half. I would recomend disneyrunning.com as I sawone else did. They have race reports, you can also go on youtube and I think someone has posted their half marathon. We love the characters, that was our entire inspiration. I only saw two characters I had not met before but they were good ones: Hades and John Smith

Young at Heart wrote....
I am not a runner at all. I work out 2-3 times a week at the gym (tredmill and elliptical) but rarely get over 3 miles/hr. However, I would love to do a WDW marathon. Is this something only experienced runners are allowed to do?

You could actually rotate between a slow jog and a good brisk walk and do okay. You have to finish in under 7 hours in order to medal. I was a novice, in decent shape but I did my training, and had little trouble jogging and finished in 5 hours and 30 minutes. Including stopping for every character and one 20 minute stop to wait for Hades to come out.

The key is training.

Flower
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I am not a runner at all. :blush: I work out 2-3 times a week at the gym (tredmill and elliptical) but rarely get over 3 miles/hr. However, I would love to do a WDW marathon. Is this something only experienced runners are allowed to do?

Beginners are definitely welcome!You need to keep up a 16-minute mile race, if you are slower than that they do come along and ask you to :number1:leave. You have 7 hours to finish the marathon.

Greenlawler
07-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Beginners are definitely welcome!You need to keep up a 16-minute mile race, if you are slower than that they do come along and ask you to :number1:leave. You have 7 hours to finish the marathon.

Not to sound redundant but as I said in the post before this one: a brisk walk/ jog would be fine.....you would not have to worry about the time limit. Do not let the 16 minute thing intimidate you.

For Examplele: A slow runner can do 12-14 minute miles easily. I would think someone who walked most of the marathon would have little troubles finishing as long as they watched the clock, and did not stop too often. I have seen brisk walkers whizzing by some joggers by the end of my races. The training is the most important thing find a program and stick to it.

Young@Heart
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Not to sound redundant but as I said in the post before this one: a brisk walk/ jog would be fine.....you would not have to worry about the time limit. Do not let the 16 minute thing intimidate you.

For Examplele: A slow runner can do 12-14 minute miles easily. I would think someone who walked most of the marathon would have little troubles finishing as long as they watched the clock, and did not stop too often. I have seen brisk walkers whizzing by some joggers by the end of my races. The training is the most important thing find a program and stick to it.

Thanks! I'd like to make this a goal for myself, hopefully in 2-3 years.

tomatoe pie
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
i was there one year when the marathon was being held and it was so exciting and i was not even around to see the race, only the runners after the race. the caracters and disney employees also enjoyed the whole thing.

two years later i took a family member down to run the race. she had never run a flat marathon before and loved it. it is so much fun. i had a ball just observing. the buses came to the resorts to pickup the runners at 4 to 5 am and take them to the starting line. they also had a bus for spectators at 4 am but i did not take it. all the roads going to the parks were closed to outside traffic, even taxis, unless they were going to the airport. we were staying at the beach club and i just pulled a lawn chair out to the lake and watched. i did once manage to get to the monorail and ride it to epcot to be at the finish line. the runners were amazing. there was even a groom who carried his new (runner) wife over the finish line. the goofy runners were amazing. :goofy2:

i would like someday to take part in the 5k. there was, at one time, a walk/run 5k that went thru the majic kingdom. :mickey: i don't know if they still do that one or not.:walk:

SAHDad
08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
i would like someday to take part in the 5k. there was, at one time, a walk/run 5k that went thru the majic kingdom. :mickey: i don't know if they still do that one or not.:walk:

There is still a 5k event. It's on Friday morning, and last year it was at AK. (It's at AK next year as well, I believe.) There were a fair number of Goofy runners for that one, plus a healthy contingent of kids, and plenty of walkers. It was fun, and the shirt and medal were nice.