PDA

View Full Version : Please say prayers for one of our local fallen military heroes and his family

murphy1
07-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Matthew died in Afghanistan July 13 along with 8 others from his Unit and was from the town I live in now, his service is this weekend:

United States Army Corporal Matthew Britten Phillips, age 27, of Cumming, GA, died Sunday, July 13, 2008 while bravely and proudly serving his country at a forward operating base in eastern Afghanistan’s Kunar province. Cpl. Phillips was one of nine soldiers to die that day; just days before his unit was scheduled to leave the base.

"We feel angry, even bitterly so, because our young men lived better lives, had higher hopes and more perfect love, than their attackers," Chaplain (Lt. Col.) Stevan Horning said during a memorial service held in Vicenza, Italy. "Please help us to not become weary of doing what is good; renew our courage so we complete the mission you assign each of us."

Corporal Phillips was a member of the U. S. Army’s 2nd Platoon, "Chosen Company", 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment (Airborne), 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, serving for the past 2 ½ years during which time he was deployed to Afghanistan for 14 months. While in the U.S. Army, Phillips was the recipient of the Bronze Star medal with one bronze oak leaf. He also had received the Purple Heart, the Combat Infantry Badge, the Army Achievement Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the National Defense Service Medal, the Afghanistan Campaign Medal with 1 Bronze Star, the GWOT (Global War on Terror) Medal, the Army Service Medal, the Army Overseas Ribbon and the NATO Medal.

Born April 13, 1981 in Florence, AL, Matt is preceded in death by his mother, Freida Lynn Phillips.

Survivors include his wife, Eve Lamb Phillips; father and step-mother, Michael Britten and Ellen Phillips; a sister and brother-in-law, Mary Phillips and Perry S. Nix of San Antonio, TX; grandparents, William Britten and Betty Jean Phillips, Fred Lee and Barbara Ann Cochran, all of Altoona, AL; a nephew, Matthew Andrew Nix; step-brothers, Spc. Dan Click and Spc.. Michael Click. Numerous aunts, uncles and cousins also survive.

Funeral services will be held Saturday, July 26, at 1:00 p.m. at Coal Mountain Baptist Church. Interment will follow at Coal Mountain Cemetery with full military honors.

The family will receive friends Friday from 2:00 until 4:00 p.m. and from 6:00 until 9:00 p.m. at Ingram Funeral Home.

Ingram Funeral Home and Crematory of Cumming is in charge of the arrangements.

J9
07-25-2008, 03:23 PM
I hate whenever I hear these stories - especially because I'm old enough now that the soldiers are always right around my age nowadays.

Prayers for the families of all our troops! :(

azdisneymom
07-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Such sad news. If I could talk the family I would say thank you for raising such an amazing young man. His courage and commitment to serve is greatly appreciated. America has lost one of it's heros.

God bless Cpl. Phillip's family. You will be in my prayers.

weswerx
07-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news. Sending tons of prayers out to his family.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Prayers and Pixie dust to his family and all the members of our Armed Forces.

mrsgaribaldi
07-27-2008, 08:52 AM
More prayers and :pixie::pixie::pixie:on the way.

joanna71985
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
How sad!:( Prayers going out to the family.

disneydeb
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Prayers for his family and loved ones.