PDA

View Full Version : Randy Pausch (The Last Lecture) died this morning

sgdisney
07-25-2008, 11:16 AM
I just read that Randy Pausch died this morning. What an inspirational message he brought to millions of people in his last months on this earth. If you have not read his book or seen his "Last Lecture" I highly recommend it.

WDWFanatic
07-25-2008, 11:19 AM
How sad. May his family find some peace.

I really enjoyed his lecture.

MNNHFLTX
07-25-2008, 11:24 AM
I heard about his passing this morning too and my heart goes out to his family and friends. But all the wisdom and joy he left behind is a wonderful legacy.

murphy1
07-25-2008, 11:33 AM
I am so, so sad right now. I checked his site a couple days ago and have not had a good feeling, I just knew. What an inspiration he has been, I leaned heavily on his positivity as I was waiting to see if I had cancer and going through surgery. He has forever left his mark on this world. Many prayers to his wife, Jai, and his beautiful children and family and many friends.

spiderkd
07-25-2008, 11:42 AM
It's so sad and my thoughts are with his family. He was an inspiration and his last lecture and the message behind it is one that I hope to carry with me always.

conorsmom2000
07-25-2008, 12:44 PM
I am so, so sad right now. I checked his site a couple days ago and have not had a good feeling, I just knew.

I had been following his updates on his website as well, and he hadn't posted in almost a month - that was unusual for him and I just had a sinking feeling that he was near the end of his journey.

My heart goes out to his family and friends. He was truly an inspiration and if you haven't seen his "The Last Lecture" video, I highly recommend you google it. A very sad loss. :(

Stitchahula
07-25-2008, 01:09 PM
I haven't seen the video or read the book but I have seen him on tv. He seemed like an amazing man and one the world really needed. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends.

AHOTE
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
:sadwave:

J9
07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
To anyone interested in seeing the lecture on video, you can download it for free from iTunes U. It's been posted by Carnegie Mellon for some time now.

I'd suggest grabbing it now, because with all the publicity there could be a strong chance they will start charging for it soon! (Of course if they charge to donate to cancer research or something, that's fine by me!)

I was so sad to hear of his passing. I had heard about the lecture, but never got the chance to see it before now. He was a really cool guy (and an Imagineer too!) I was a computer science major in college and my favorite professor co-designed ALICE with Prof. Pausch. I remember Dr. Cooper would always talk to us about the status of the project and how proud he was of it, and how awesome everyone he worked with was. I think Prof. Pausch even gave a talk to my class, but I could be wrong. That was 8 years ago now - I was a freshman and didn't particularly pay attention all that much. Now I'm sorry and wish I had.

RIP

brownie
07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
The video of the Last Lecture and some of his other lectures is also available via Youtube. Very sad; I've been checking his update site and nothing has been posted since late June. This would explain why.

Dsnygirl
07-25-2008, 03:52 PM
:( This just makes me so sad... when I first heard about his lecture, I was amazed... and then when I saw it, I cried and it changed my perspective on a lot of things. I, too, have since kept in touch w/ his website and watched him on Oprah, etc., and was hoping and praying he'd beat this... but yet kind-of knew in my heart he wouldn't.

What a wonderful legacy he leaves behind, what a message for all of us to remember. I haven't gotten his book yet, but plan to -- I hope I can reach my children with the same message of love, hope and daily happiness & joy that he carried.

What an amazing man, my heart and prayers go out to his family right now. May he rest in peace.

MegaDisney
07-25-2008, 05:32 PM
Very Sad. I have seen the lecture on iTunes and just ordered the book yesterday.

GrumpyFan
07-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Very sad. A great inspiration he was, on how to live and die.

If you've seen the video and enjoyed it, go buy his book, titled, The Last Lecture.

ElenitaB
07-25-2008, 08:25 PM
How sad. :crying: But if anyone has given us an example of how to live and die with grace, wit and intelligence, it's him. God bless!

pianobabe
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I could not believe it when I read that today. I had just started reading his book LAST NIGHT. It is so good, I didn't want to put it down. Of what I have read so far, he was a very remarkable man who actually knew how to live. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children and the rest of his family.

princessgirls
07-25-2008, 10:27 PM
What a sad loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to Randy's family.

However, what a legacy he left to his children. His kids will know their Dad.

He touched so many.
Julie:mickey:

disneydeb
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
He taught the world a great deal about living.

DAKustodial
07-26-2008, 01:33 AM
I watched his "Last Lecture" a few months ago when it was first brought to my attention on YouTube.

I watched it again today when I heard he had passed away.

I was completely heartbroken today when I read that he had died, but I know that this man's courage and legacy will live on.

"Tell the truth. All the time."
-Randy Pausch

PittFan
07-26-2008, 01:50 AM
As a Pittsburgher that has frequented CMU on many occasions and have nothing but respect for the messages conveyed by Randy Pausch I want to send my deepest sympathies to the Pausch Family and offer our condolences.

TheMartellFamily
07-26-2008, 10:23 AM
He should be a great inspiration to us all.

offwego
07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
So sad to hear this news. The book was just so touching and in a way very uplifting.

I hope his family has some small sense of how many people he has touched.

Kisobel
07-28-2008, 11:01 PM
i feel like a live under a rock. i have never heard of this guy. i will have to go over to youtube and check it out. my thoughts are with his family.

kate