PDA

View Full Version : Portable Chairs for Illuminations

angel8783
07-24-2008, 09:52 PM
My husband and I are considering finding and bringing with us some portable lightweight chairs to Epcot to wait for Illuminations. I just don't like sitting on the ground, but I want a good spot without standing forever!

Does anyone have and suggestions as to what kind to get, or has anyone done this before?

Oh, and they need to be VERY lightweight and able to fit into a backpack. We would be ok with just bringing one. My husband has volunteered to carry them if he needs to, so its really just a size issue. Also, I don't want to spend more than $30 per chair.

tys_mommy
07-25-2008, 10:40 AM
Sorry I can't help you with chair suggestions but I think a better option may be to try to find a table next to the water front - maybe make ADRs for the time before the show if there are any available.

DDuck66
07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
The worse problem with the portable chairs is that you have to carry them with you. I would either get a spot on one of the benches outside the shops in front of the World Showcase or if you are taking the chairs, make sure that you rent a locker to store them in until that night. We use the lightweight chairs that you can find at Wal-mart in the camping section. They are usually about 10 bucks.

dnickels
07-25-2008, 11:13 AM
I would second what the others have stated, is it really worth it to haul around a chair (even if it's lightweight) all day so that you can sit for 20 minutes? I'm about 50% paralyzed from the waist down and completely from the knees down and I've never thought twice about standing for that time.

PopDivaPaige
07-25-2008, 12:05 PM
My family and I never brought chairs with us and still got great spots. The best spot is the bench next to the stores in showcase plaza. Another good place is in France, sitting on the fountain. If both spots are taken, try sitting somewhere around the Canada showcase. But the bench was very helpful. We got to see the show and not have to stand all day. We also went into the stores in showcase plaza while we were waiting, so that is a good advantage.

Main Street Jim
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Portable chairs are NOT PERMITTED into the Disney theme and water parks, unless they are also being used as a walking aid (cane-foldup-type). Please see my thread titled "Park Policies" elsewhere.

Thanks!

Imagineer1981
07-25-2008, 01:30 PM
in addition you don't want to sit, because if you do, people AlWAYS step in front of you...ALWAYS

Young@Heart
07-25-2008, 01:50 PM
in addition you don't want to sit, because if you do, people AlWAYS step in front of you...ALWAYS

ITA w/ this! Even if stools or chairs were permitted, I wouldn't want to bother with them. :mickey:

brownie
07-25-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd claim a good spot to sit in advance. You might have to sit there for an hour or two, but it would beat carrying chairs around with you.

TheRustyScupper
07-26-2008, 08:28 AM
1) I don't see a problem with standing for 20-minutes for most people. *
2) Besides, chairs are not allowed to be brought into the parks.

* If there is a medical problem, you will need to stake out a seat 1-1½ hours early.

angel8783
07-26-2008, 05:07 PM
thanks everyone...

DH and I usually end up waiting for about 1.5-1 hours (usually sitting on the ground for this amount of time and also standing some). I am having a medical problem where when I stand for too long (15-20 minutes) my legs go numb, which was the reason for the question.

We will find a bench since we tend to wait awhile anyways.

Goes4FastPass
07-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Truer
Excuse me
Words
You're standing on my foot
Have never
Yes, your child can stand in front of me
Been
I didn't say Uncle Frank and Aunt Betty could join her
Spoken.

This seemed like a great spot for the last 2 hours. Then 5 minutes before Illuminations started the largest family in the country decided to occupy the 2 feet by 3 feet space between this bench and the fence.

dixielandings
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Truer
Excuse me
Words
You're standing on my foot
Have never
Yes, your child can stand in front of me
Been
I didn't say Uncle Frank and Aunt Betty could join her
Spoken.

This seemed like a great spot for the last 2 hours. Then 5 minutes before Illuminations started the largest family in the country decided to occupy the 2 feet by 3 feet space between this bench and the fence.

LOL - WAY OL! People are amazing, no?

To the OP, I'm sorry about your condition. I don't blame you for trying to plan ahead for these kinds of situations. Sounds like the best thing is just to grab a seat in the shade and ride it out. I suggest my DH's favorite spot - there's a couple benches under a tree and facing the water in Germany. Get a cool drink, or a latte if it's cool out, and just enjoy the view while you wait! WDW (especially Epcot) is one of my favorite places in the world to sit and do nothing. :blush:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
If it is possible buy one of the little chair/canes. Try a medical supply store or even on line. I'm not sure what they cost. But then you'd have it for any other time you might need it. You could store it in a locker until you need it.

LizLovesDiz
07-28-2008, 08:59 PM
the last time we went we lucked out and got a table at the Mexico area outside,right near the wrought iron gate.Noone could stand in front of us,which was in itself a miracle !! :mickey: