PDA

View Full Version : Southern Flying Squirrel

q105birdman
07-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Last night around 9:30 PM at Disney's Hollywood Studios, after finishing a great dinner at Hollywood and Vine, I was walking on the far side of Echo Lake along the path that leads to the Sorcerer's Hat when I looked up into the lights and saw something float from one of the tall palm trees to another. As I walked closer it glided to the far left tree. From there it 'flew' to the base of the tree near the Snow White topiary. I hadn't ever seen a flying squirrel in action, only one that had ended up in a bucket on a back porch in Pennsylvania years ago. So if you are ever walking at night towards the big hat from the Indiana Jones area, take your time and take a peek up to the palm trees; you just may see your first flying squirrel. It was very cool!!!

Mousemates
07-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Cool :thumbsup:

And at least we now have a biological thread that will cause no widespread panic or discomfort among the intercot brethren...unlike the previous threads concerning snakes, aligators, bedbugs, spiders, fresh water amoebas, mosquitoes, etc.:)

andreallybadeggs
07-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Sure it wasn't a bat?...that could start a whole new panic. :D

MNNHFLTX
07-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Sure it wasn't a bat?...that could start a whole new panic. :DThat was my question too. I lived in Florida for over 15 years and never saw a flying squirrel--but saw plenty of bats. :)

MickeyMousse
07-25-2008, 11:27 AM
We've seen bats flying around but never a flying squirrel!!

Maybe it was an escapee from AK?? :dighole:

PopDivaPaige
07-25-2008, 11:50 AM
Awesome! I've never seen a flying squirell in my entire life. You are very lucky! I'll keep my eye out for them, maybe I'll see one! It would be awesome to get it on film, considering I'm bringing my video camera with me this year.

AHOTE
07-25-2008, 11:59 AM
Florida does indeed have Flying Squirrels. They are native to a large part of Canada, the US and Mexico. On our stay at POFQ in 2006 we had a family of them in a tree on front of our unit. There was one adult and two young. We would see them early in the morning, that is if we were up early, or around twilight. They were interesting to watch as they moved around the area.

PittFan
07-25-2008, 12:01 PM
We have alot of flying squirrels in Pennsylvania, I have seen many in Pittsburgh alone. That would be cool if they were also in Fla and others got to enjoy them as well. :cool:

Imagineer1981
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM
sweet...