PDA

View Full Version : Which to buy - AKV, WLV, or BCV!?!?

Figment78
07-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi everyone... after years and years of debate, DH and I are realistically looking to buy into DVC. Right now, our main issue is deciding which resort (or resorts).

First, a few basics.

We have a 5 month old son, and both of our parents love WDW also, so I forsee many many visits there in the future.

Yes, I know that only AKV is available direct through disney and we would have to buy BCV or WLV through the resale market (unless Disney somehow had some availability). We are willing to purchase direct thru Disney or resale, our first priority is getting the resort we want. We have read too many people having issues making ressies at "the smaller resorts" at the 7 month window. We want to own where we want to stay! The problem is, we like the idea of each of these locations.

We will most likely be vacationing in the spring or winter. Yes, I know holidays are "expensive points" times and plan to use banking and borrowing to accomplish some of those trips.

We love WL, stayed there often, and love that it's close to MK.
We love having dinner at Epcot, and think that our DS (and any future kids) would love Stormalong Bay.
We also love the AKL, and think that AK is a great park for young kids. Plus the membership is longer, and the accomodations look gorgeous!

I also like the look of Vero Beach, but do not wish to purchase points there. I have heard it is not too difficult to make those ressies 7 months out, so would just use our points that way if we wanted to go there.

I'm considering purchasing moderate amount of points at two locations, and using banking and borrowing to have enough at one of the resorts at the 11 mo window every year.

Which one or two resorts would you buy and why!?! :confused:

Thank you SO much in advance!

DVC Mike
07-24-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm considering purchasing moderate amount of points at two locations, and using banking and borrowing to have enough at one of the resorts at the 11 mo window every year.

Which one or two resorts would you buy and why!?! :confused:

We faced a similar decision, and ended up buying points at our four favorite resorts.

Everyone's wants and tastes are different. Some have SSR or OKW as their favorites. While they are nice resorts, they aren't our favorites.

VWL has a magnificently rendered theme - probably the best! It features a quiet, peaceful and romantic setting. It's also the smallest DVC resort at WDW and is just a relaxing boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom. We love VWL!

BCV has the best location of all DVC resorts, just a few minutes walk to Epcot! It is the 2nd smallest DVC resort at WDW and features the fantastic Stormalong Bay 3-acre mini-water park. Plus, there is close proximity to the Boardwalk. We love BCV!

AKV has a great exotic theme (African game reserve), is the only DVC resort with Concierge Rooms, and (best of all) features the Savannah with views of the animals (20+ species). It offers point-saving Value accommodation rooms and a quiet, relaxed atmosphere with a feeling of remoteness. Plus, the 1-BR can sleep 5 and also has an extra bathroom (Kidani). We l,ove AKV!

Tough choice!

FiggyFan
07-24-2008, 07:44 PM
I would say BCV first, then VWL, then AKL. Here are my reasons:

I put AKL last because both BCV and VWL are on the small side, while AKL looks much larger. A few years from now, I expect AKL to be more available than the other two at the 7 month window. It will probably take a few years for AKLto be completely built and the crowd of people who want to try "the new place" to settle down. I have to say, I am curious enough that I may be part of that crowd.

Putting BCV ahead of VWL is simply personal preference. We love being able to stroll World Showcase in the evening, then hit the Boardwalk for ice cream and a view of the Epcot fireworks on our way back to our room. Stormalong Bay, as many have said, is amazing. We have stayed at VWL and liked it very much, but for us BCV comes out ahead.

Horizon93
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM
All three are tremendous resorts. I am a little biased toward AKV as it is our home resort. The rooms are beautiful, the resort is incredible, the animals are there, great restaurants, and as has been noted, a remote feel, but not very remote in reality.

BCV gives you that great access to Epcot and DHS, plus SAB.

VWL is beautiful with great proximity to MK.

It comes down to what your priorities are. As you said the expiration date for AKV is 2057 with BCV and VWL having a 2042 expiration. But that would not be a deal breaker for me.

You should buy the resort or resorts that most appeal to you overall.

One thing I might suggest is to buy either VWL or BCV for the small resort feel, and AKV for a different feel.

Good luck with your decision!

Figment78
07-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I would say BCV first, then VWL, then AKL. Here are my reasons:

I put AKL last because both BCV and VWL are on the small side, while AKL looks much larger. A few years from now, I expect AKL to be more available than the other two at the 7 month window. It will probably take a few years for AKLto be completely built and the crowd of people who want to try "the new place" to settle down. I have to say, I am curious enough that I may be part of that crowd.

This makes a LOT of sense to me. (Although I admit I would also be one of those who can't wait to try AKV....) It brings up an interesting question. Does anyone know the number of units in each DVC resort? More specific than WLV is the smallest, etc.?

Thanks for all the good insight guys!

DVC Mike
07-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Does anyone know the number of units in each DVC resort? More specific than WLV is the smallest, etc.?

OKW - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 274 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 230 Lockoffs - 27 Grand Villas = 531 Units / 761 Max. Available Rooms

VB - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 18 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 36 Lockoffs - 6 Grand Villas - 112 Inn Rooms = 172 Units / 208 Max. Available Rooms

HHI - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 76 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 21 Lockoffs - 5 Grand Villas = 102 Units / 123 Max. Available Rooms

BWV - 97 Dedicated Studios - 130 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 0 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 149 2BR Lockoffs - 7 Grand Villas = 383 Units / 532 Max. Available Rooms

VWL - 20 Dedicated Studios - 27 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 44 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 45 2BR Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 136 Units / 181 Max. Available Rooms

BCV - 36 Dedicated Studios - 20 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 78 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 74 2BR Lockoffs - 0 Grand Villas = 208 Units / 282 Max. Available Rooms

SSR - 0 Dedicated Studios - 0 Dedicated 1Bdrm - 360 Dedicated 2Bdrm - 432 Lockoffs - 36 Grand Villas = 828 Units / 1260 Max. Available Rooms

AKV (Jambo & Kidani): 458 Units / 708 max available rooms
46 Dedicated Studios
140 Dedicated 2-BR villas
250 2-BR Lockoffs
22 GVs

MarkC
07-25-2008, 10:12 PM
I don't know the number of units although I think you can find it on this site somewhere. Although it's personal preference, we love Beach Club. A lot of it has to do with 2 main reasons-- my wife and I love the world showcase at Epcot and the kids absolutely love Stormalong Bay. It's wonderful for kids of all ages and they will also love Beaches and Cream for the ice cream. At least you know where my vote lies, but depending on when you go you still may be able to stay at more than one. Mark

Figment78
07-26-2008, 08:56 AM
DVC Mike - THANK YOU for the detailed information! That is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a numbers sort of gal.

Given the numbers, it is really easy to see why it is difficult to get ressies for BCV and WLV - they ARE significantly smaller than the other WDW locations.

This definitely helps.

BTW, I received a DVC "brochure" yesterday and it was a hardback coffee-table style book! Plus, an adorable coloring book. WOW. If this is an indication of how you are treated as a member, I'm certainly impressed.

Figment78
07-28-2008, 01:05 PM
As I was contemplating our DVC resort choices, I found myself thinking, "We'll buy BCV to be near Epcot and WLV to be nearer to MK". Then I thought, maybe we should just buy BCV now, and wait on WLV. Instead, maybe purchase at the "rumored" Bay Lake Tower DVC at the Contemporary since that will be very convenient for trips to MK when kids are little and still in strollers.

I am certain BLT will be a VERY high demand resort - I spent years saying, "If they ever built a DVC on the monorail...." Do any of you think that the demand for BLT will help free up some reservation availability for WLV? I mean, I know there are lots of other great reasons people love WL (I do!), but maybe others will have the same thought process I just did and end up at the contemporary instead (leaving WLV for me to book at a 7 month window sometimes!)

Simba's Mom
08-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Be sure to consider the time of year you want to go, not just the size of the resort if you're looking at desirability. I was surprised to see that VWL is smallest-I got ressies at VWL in late October but I'm on the waiting list at BCV (my first choice) and AKV. Both of those are, or will be, bigger. BCV is nearest Epcot, and with the Food and WIne in October, that makes that one so hard. AKV doesn't have Kidani house, so it's much smaller now, and even Kidani house won't help if you want a Value or Concierge villa.

aurorafan
08-04-2008, 10:45 AM
As the previous poster said time of year will make a difference--VWL is extremely popular in December because of the Christmas decorations, and I've read several times on different boards that people purchased there specifically to be able to get ressies in Dec. Same thing for the Epcot resorts and the F&W Festival.

One other thing to think about--as of right now AKL is the only DVC where you can sleep 5 in a one bedroom unit (other than the value 1 bedrooms), and I believe the sleeper chairs are included in the 2 bedroom and GV's as well, so depending on what size family you're considering you might want to factor that in as well ;).