PDA

View Full Version : Opiniated Intercotees: why such discrepancy?

andreallybadeggs
07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
So I'm reading several of the replies to the post about which restaurants to avoid and it occurs to me that the WDW eateries get more passionately good and violently bad reviews than any other establishments I've encountered. Tons of people adore Le Cellier; others share my chorus of "OVER RATED" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap) Readers love or hate Sci Fi, call San Angel a can't-miss-it or a can't-stand-it. Why is that? I mean, I understand the concept of "to each his own" and perhaps it is just the sheer volume of WDW visitors but WHOA Nelly ---sure does seem to be as polarizing as politics. Do we have blue and red state/restaurants? Hmmm...that might be an interesting poll...do you prefer the buffet at
Chef Mic-CAIN or O-BOMAS?
and can't we just all get along? uhh....apparently no. Oh well.
To each his own ;)

jillluvsdisney
07-23-2008, 07:06 PM
IMHO....I think a poster that has a strong opinion good or bad about a restaurant is more likely to express themselves than a poster who just had a so-so, nothing special meal.

If you love or hate the food/service, you really want to let others know about it.

TINKERBELL_82
07-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Personally, I'd take any restaurant at WDW over a regular eatery ANY DAY! I don't really care what I eat- as long as I'm at WDW I'm a happy girl. :mickey:

P.S.- I am quite fond of "O-Bomas". ;)

Donald
07-23-2008, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=TINKERBELL_82;1695449]Personally, I'd take any restaurant at WDW over a regular eatery ANY DAY! I don't really care what I eat- as long as I'm at WDW I'm a happy girl. :mickey:

Ditto!! :mickey:

Strmchsr
07-23-2008, 08:21 PM
While I certainly agree that those with strong opinions are more likely to post, I also think that most folks go to WDW expecting a "perfect" experience. We spend so much money on these vacations and expect to be blown away by everything. When something is only "good" that's not good enough. Or maybe we're so caught up in the magic that even an average steak tastes like it was made for a king's table. So, I think mostly the very passionate views has much more to do with the atmosphere and expectations of WDW than anything else. Through my years of involvement with Intercot I've come to believe there are no rational, calm answers when it comes to opinions on WDW. :D

Natazu
07-23-2008, 08:25 PM
While I certainly agree that those with strong opinions are more likely to post, I also think that most folks go to WDW expecting a "perfect" experience. We spend so much money on these vacations and expect to be blown away by everything. When something is only "good" that's not good enough. Or maybe we're so caught up in the magic that even an average steak tastes like it was made for a king's table. So, I think mostly the very passionate views has much more to do with the atmosphere and expectations of WDW than anything else. Through my years of involvement with Intercot I've come to believe there are no rational, calm answers when it comes to opinions on WDW. :D

here here

Minnie Imagineer
07-23-2008, 10:53 PM
...do you prefer the buffet at Chef Mic-CAIN or O-BOMAS?

haha, thats clever. I like that!
:mickey:

why4k
07-23-2008, 11:20 PM
I have received a wealth of information from the members of this board, and I appreciate any and all opinions that I've read here. That being said, there are many variables that come into play when discussing personal experiences at any park, resort, or restaurant. Expectations are not the same for everyone. All cm's are not created equal. Anyone, including consumers, can have a bad day. I've determined that I will gather as much information as I can, but in the end, I will choose my resort, restaurants, and activities based on what I believe my family would prefer. If I have a bad experience, it won't necessarily stop me from trying it again. When your'e on vacation you want everthing to be perfect. Rarely, can everything live up to those expectations. We all enjoy Disney, at least in part, because of the wonderful service that we receive while there. The overall vacation experience can't be beat. But of course that's just my opinion.

bkfree
07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Oh, its not just Disney.

Anytime we go on a trip and I look up reviews on hotels, resorts or restaurants in the area, I get the same polar opposite of opinions of the same places.

I also think there are some people who have never had a satisfactory meal at any restaurant they have ever been to.

I also think the attitude you have going in helps to color your opinion. We don't go to Disney expecting gourmet meals. I can also say that I don't think we ever had a terrible meal or bad service. Could be our perception or luck of the draw.
I also think if you go in to a specialty restaurant, like the ones in WS and start comparing it to your favorite Mexican or Italian place at home, they will already be at a disadvantage.
I believe when you go Disney, you need to bring a little magic with you and Disney will take it from there.:mickey:

JPL
07-23-2008, 11:49 PM
I think one of the main reasons for different opinions is region of the country you are from. Living in the NY/NJ area we have alot of great Chinese and Italian restaurants at a fraction of the cost of the mediocre ones at WDW. So therefore when we eat there we are disappointed in the food. The same can be said for other regions of the country with certain or even a person's indiviual experience with a type of food. I know people who love the pizza at WDW and to me it's not even passable as pizza.

PittFan
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
We are simply answering the questions asked. I do agree that we all have different tastes and different expectations, we are simply stating our own opinion. Take it for what it's worth. I was fortunate enough to work in a 5 star restaurant and perhaps my expectations exceed those of other individuals. That doesn't make my opinion any more valuable than anyone else. It's simply a matter of taste. :)

Young@Heart
07-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I agree with a p/p that this difference in opinion isn't only related to Disney dining. It's just the way of the world. :mickey: I might love a movie that 'everyone' else hates. Same goes for a book, or a pair of shoes, or a child's name. Everyone is so different, that while it's interesting to read all the varying opinions, one can't place much importance on them. Try something, then judge for yourselves. :thumbsup:

r4kids
07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
We typically make our own decisions but do look at the majority. If most say no it's bad or yeah it's great, I will take it into consideration. There is no gourmet/high end rest. that will allow you to be seated in a tank top, shorts and sneakers. I enjoy the food at Disney for the most part. There are a few places we consider great: Le Cellier and Ohana come to mind but we are steak and potatoe people and we don't have anything like Ohana at home. However they have removed the potatoes so we'll see this year how it goes. Really when eating at Disney you are mostly paying for the experience.

Disney Lynn
07-24-2008, 07:57 AM

I too think it's our perception of a magically perfect vacation (including meals) that can cause us to be so affected when any little item does not meet our inflated expectations. Or to be so ecstatic when we do feel the Magic! For me, just the cost of WDW meals can trigger strong "opinions" probably because we rarely spend that much per meal here at home; I expect something special!

And as others have said, we bring our regional (or cultural) tastes to WDW and are often surprised that the food there is different. Different doesn't necessarilly mean bad or good just different from what we expect. And some people adapt to differences more readily than others.

TheDuckRocks
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
And as others have said, we bring our regional (or cultural) tastes to WDW and are often surprised that the food there is different. Different doesn't necessarilly mean bad or good just different from what we expect. And some people adapt to differences more readily than others.

I agree with this statement 100%. I did not post in the other discussion as I felt that the 2 places that are currently on my "I won't go back there" list are in part because of my last experience there and probably wouldn't happen to someone else. Did I express my opinion in my dining review at the time? Yes. But I did take the time to explain my reasons for my opinions. In planning our 2009 trip to WDW with my sister and her hubby, who have never been to WDW, these 2 restaurants will more than likely make the final list of where we will dine as any restaurant can have a bad day.

PS - if you really want to see some trash talk about dining, go to one of the discussion boards for cruise lines. Holy cow, those people can be really mean!

BelleCiavo
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
I think one of the main reasons for different opinions is region of the country you are from. Living in the NY/NJ area we have alot of great Chinese and Italian restaurants at a fraction of the cost of the mediocre ones at WDW. So therefore when we eat there we are disappointed in the food. The same can be said for other regions of the country with certain or even a person's indiviual experience with a type of food. I know people who love the pizza at WDW and to me it's not even passable as pizza.

:exactly:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
When you consider the masses that visit WDW and the diversity in age and culture, it is only natural that you are going to get a lot of conflicting opinions....For example, the area of the South I am from has a wide variety of Asian, Mexican and Cajun restaurants...so I will be a harder judge when it comes to my opinion on these type of restaurants....however, we do not have a lot of authentic Italian, French or German restaurants here...it seems to me that the Intercotees from the East Coast are much harder on restaurants like Tony's and Mama Melrose's because they have access to a larger selection of authentic Italian restaurants....

Having said that, remember opinions are opinions don't sweat it...if you like a restaurants that's all that matters..:)

brownie
07-24-2008, 10:28 AM
We all view the world through different lenses. Our personal likes and dislikes are already influencing how we will view a particular eatery before we even set foot in the door. When you add in how the day has gone up to that point (and even the trip) and our personal experience(s) at the eatery, it is no wonder that we find such a wide variety of opinions about a particular restaurant.

More important to me is knowing why someone feels a particular way about a restaurant. What have been their experiences over time at a restaurant? Have they eaten there more than once? There will always be differences of opinion, but if you can get at the reasoning behind the opinions and look at the trends, you can make good use of the information.

Stickey
07-24-2008, 12:11 PM
There are few things as personally subjective as opinions about food, thus reviews can vary widely. Sometimes, a bad experience may drive a negative review. Other times, preconceived expectations will result in disappointment with a particular restaurant. Regional dining experiences are also a major factor.

Despite my preference for good NY style pizza, I do not have a problem with the pizza at WDW. The mini pizzas at Pizzafari are very good. It is very difficult to make a bad pizza, at worst it is acceptable. I can only remember a few examples of bad pizza and those did not occur at WDW.

luvdiznee
07-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Hmmm...that might be an interesting poll...do you prefer the buffet at
To each his own ;)

Good one. :secret: I just give my opinion when someone poses a question about a restaurant I've been to. Whether good or bad. As far as for myself, I just take everyone else's advice with a grain of salt. :DGotta decide for yourself for the most part. ;)

PopDivaPaige
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
So I'm reading several of the replies to the post about which restaurants to avoid and it occurs to me that the WDW eateries get more passionately good and violently bad reviews than any other establishments I've encountered. Tons of people adore Le Cellier; others share my chorus of "OVER RATED" (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap) Readers love or hate Sci Fi, call San Angel a can't-miss-it or a can't-stand-it. Why is that? I mean, I understand the concept of "to each his own" and perhaps it is just the sheer volume of WDW visitors but WHOA Nelly ---sure does seem to be as polarizing as politics. Do we have blue and red state/restaurants? Hmmm...that might be an interesting poll...do you prefer the buffet at
To each his own ;)
I much prefer restaraunts at WDW any day. Especially when I think about the service there and other places around home. Service at restaraunts around home (like Denny's or Bob Evens for example, they don't always have bad service though) makes WDW's restaraunts look like eating in a castle.

Mousemates
07-24-2008, 04:17 PM
. do you prefer the buffet at Chef Mic-CAIN or O-BOMAS?

Which do I prefer? actually neither. :thedolls:

However, given the fact that unlike the many good options for TS dining we have at Disney, here the culinary choices are EXTREMELY limited. So, in this particular mealtime decision I will have to choose between one of the two CS options on the electoral menu (even though I am not particularly enamored with what either Chef Miccain or O-Bomas is serving up. :)

McGoofy
07-24-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree with a p/p that this difference in opinion isn't only related to Disney dining. It's just the way of the world. :mickey: I might love a movie that 'everyone' else hates. Same goes for a book, or a pair of shoes, or a child's name. Everyone is so different, that while it's interesting to read all the varying opinions, one can't place much importance on them. Try something, then judge for yourselves. :thumbsup:

This is exactly what I was thinking when I first read the question! There are so many people that post on Intercot, that you are bound to have just as many varied opinions. Just last night I watched the Seifeld episode where Elaine had to go see the movie "The English Patient." She hated it and was very passionate about the fact that she hated it. However, her friends and co-workers loved it and thought she was nuts for not liking it. It's the same way on Intercot with dining opinions. I don't think you are going to find any places where 100% of the people either like it or hate it. There will always be a mix of both. I also agree with the fact that usually the people who only feel so-so about a place are less inclined to post. I'll usually post if I want somebody to know "yes, indeed I had wonderful experience" or "that was awful--don't go there!" At any rate, the only way to really know how you feel about something is to experience it yourself. You may be the one person that likes something when everybody else hates it!

Strmchsr
07-24-2008, 04:42 PM
I also agree with the fact that usually the people who only feel so-so about a place are less inclined to post. I'll usually post if I want somebody to know "yes, indeed I had wonderful experience" or "that was awful--don't go there!"

So, does the fact that we now have 20+ posts of people giving opinions on giving opinions mean we feel very strongly about being opinionated? :D

PittFan
07-24-2008, 04:51 PM
So, does the fact that we now have 20+ posts of people giving opinions on giving opinions mean we feel very strongly about being opinionated? :D

:laughing: I bet we could get 20+ posts with a response to this...LOL :thumbsup:

andreallybadeggs
07-24-2008, 05:08 PM
:laughing: I bet we could get 20+ posts with a response to this...LOL :thumbsup:

:laughing:
I'm a little surprised myself at so many responses yet pleased to see they've all been civil. And not one person pointed out "o-pin-i-ated" was misspelled. (Found out I could edit the body but not the title!) Perhaps y'all just correctly surmised that I'm a southern gal and decided to treat me with gen-til-ee-tay. :D
Have enjoyed reading all the comments, though. Certainly agree that restaurant reviews are likely to be influenced by what's in your own neighborhood. Oddly enough, though, we avoid WSC Japanese food because we have a much better selection in our corner of the Ozarks. Go figure.

Jimenyfan
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
With the exception of Cali Grill, I have yet to be blown away by any disney restaurant. I was raised in the north and now live in the south and can't claim any restaurant as being a favorite based on where I live. I certainly cant pick a buffet based on the candidates either.

bkfree
07-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I felt the same as Elaine about "The English Patient".
I also find so many times that if a critic gives a movie a great review, that I will not like it at all.
The ones given one or two stars I usually really like.:confused:

RALPH
07-25-2008, 07:38 AM
All good points.

First, most people don't mind paying a high price for a meal as long as it's good. Fail here, and a bad review is a certainty! Let's face it. All food at WDW is high priced. So any letdown here will come to the front in a bad opinion of the place.

The real devil is in the details, the menu level. One people can go to a place and order an item, that:

A: They mess up.

B: The just don't do well.

C: Does not compare to food from home.

The Italian and Chinese food at WDW comes to mind here. There are so many fine places to eat from our home regions that WDW has a high probability of providing a less than stellar experience than our local favorite, and at a higher cost.

As an example. I love Benihana's Teppanyaki dining experience. We are lucky to have one close to my home and work. This has become my standard to compare any Japanese restaurant. So, when I eat at WDW I naturally make the comparison.

I love the fried rice at Benihanna's, but in Epcot they did not serve fried rice, only steamed. Did that ruin the meal? No, but it dropped the enjoyment pleasure a little. Each item, from the grilled entree's, to the salad, and sauces is compared to what I have set as my measuring stick. Replace what I have said with any other food item, steak, poultry, pasta, etc. You will make that comparison.

I have what I describe as a fine pallet. No, I'm not a food snob, but I love to eat, and love to judge different dishes. My boss, has a limited food tastes and to him a fine meal is a burger well done at Beaches and Cream, or Cosmic Ray's. :ack:We are at opposite ends of the food spectrum.

What I would like to see, rather than a blanket up or down opinion of a place is more info. Tell us exactly what you ate and why it was good or bad. Someone did that with Momma Melrose explaining the water problems (which made them sick) to the entree's and appetisers and desserts. Only then can you make an informed decision. Either way, your still going to have an opinion clouded with food static.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

big blue and hairy
07-25-2008, 08:32 AM

That is true. That is why when people ask about restaurants I don't go back to, I mention Marakesh, but I always qualify it by saying that it wasn't the quality of food or service, just that we didn't care for the spice blends.

:sulley:

big blue and hairy
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
:laughing:
I'm a little surprised myself at so many responses yet pleased to see they've all been civil.

At it's most argumentative, and I've been one of the argumentative, I think you'll find this is a very civil board.

:sulley:

ThunderChunky21
07-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Many people seem to rate a restaurant based on one visit and one visit only. I'm not sure that is the most fair way to rate a restaurant. Some will call the food disgusting, but they only tried one dish. The may call the service horrible, but they only have had one waiter.

Others love a restaurant and go back time and again, then out of the blue have one bad experience and vow to never go back. Again, that is not quite fair. (If it is a noticeable trend downwards, then it is fair). Everyone has good days and bad days.

Maybe "reviewers" could start giving info about how many times they have been to that restaurant and give more info about why they did or why they did not enjoy it.

I find it best to come up with your own judgments about the Disney (or any) restaurants. Visit the ones that sound like they might be appealing to you (menu/atmosphere/location) and decide for yourself. We are all individuals and individuals tend to have enjoy different things. :mickey:

Mackflava99
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
This is an interesting Post because this is a discussion I have with friends often.
I have certain restaurants I like, others I don’t. My opinion is solely based on my experience.
In a place like WDW you have Millions of people file in and out so the number of people who eat at places like San Angel or Ohana’s which have so many people in and out is mind-blowing. I think it’s pretty awesome that the percentage of
Customers that get a good experience is so high.
What other sit down restaurant in the USA can boast the turnaround and people served to stack up to Disney restaurants? Not many- so think of it that way- for the VOLUME- the % of great service is actually phenomenal.
I am from NJ/NY area where we get used to good food- I actually live close enough o ocean to get awesome seafood, but even with that- there are good and bad restaurants here too. People have their preferences.
First impressions are important too-
If you go to a restaurant the first time and get a great experience- you are more apt to be more lenient the next time if it isn’t as good, with hope a 3rd time is back being good again. I have found with Disney restaurants, the ones we have gone to more often, in all cases at least 2 were very good, and over 50% have all 3 as good-
• Whispering Canyon – 4 visits – 1 bad
• Spoodles – 4 visits – all good
• Cape May 5 visits 1 bad
• Boatwrights 4 visits no bad
• SCi Fi- 3 visits 1 bad
• Garden Grove 3 visits one fair
It’s a VERY GOOD PERCENTAGE
We have not been to any other more than twice because we have been trying to try new places recently.

So I guess people sometimes don’t look at the whole picture and are quick to make assumptions.

lighteningqueen
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I tend to see where the poster is from if they have it in their info. That says alot to me. In Texas you really don't find bad food anywhere. Meaning larger chains or local mexican food. But Northerners have way different taste in their foods and taste. Italian is way different up there than here, I am sure Mexican must be different becasue most up North seem to like San Angel Inn... so that says that it must taste like what they get there. Steaks are just plain good in Texas so why eat a steak at Disney and pay 4 times as much for it at Disney. We can eat that when we get home. Really how can you mess up a breakfast menu anywhere. This is just my opinion about it all. But if you will see where they are from you might take that into consideration as to what part of the United States you are from. I would think foreigners foods would not even come close to our foods down here. So I guess it's each to it's own

wire0monkey
07-25-2008, 04:21 PM
<i>I think one of the main reasons for different opinions is region of the country you are from. Living in the NY/NJ area we have alot of great Chinese and Italian restaurants at a fraction of the cost of the mediocre ones at WDW. So therefore when we eat there we are disappointed in the food. The same can be said for other regions of the country with certain or even a person's indiviual experience with a type of food. I know people who love the pizza at WDW and to me it's not even passable as pizza. </i>

I think this is a huge part of it. Tons of people rave about Flame Tree BBQ , but I find it to be mediocre fast food at best. (Better than a burger, but not OMG! outstanding.) I come from the midwest (St. Louis and Kansas CityO and south (Memphis), though, and have regular access to several champion BBQ joints, so my standards for good BBQ are sort of high.

Friend of Figment
07-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I think when reviewing Disney restaurants, it's important to note whether you weigh the food and service or the atmosphere more heavily. For example, I think some people love the Sci-Fi becasue there is nowhere else like it. The atmosphere is more important than the food. A place like LeCellier, which doesn't have a view or atmosphere particularly, gets judged more by the food.

Another factor is your general outlook. Some people are hyper-critical on vacation because they are thinking of the money they are spending. Other people are super-positive because "hey I'm on vacation".

Reading any review, you have to suss out the writer's biases and see how they line up with your own.

bkfree
07-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I have to agree about Sci Fi. The atmosphere was so unique and my kids were so enraptured and had such a great time, that they could have served luke warm water and soda crackers and we would have loved it.

I do equate the atmosphere along with the food at WDW and I also think because we so feel the Disney magic when we are there, that we are not nearly as cued in on the food as we would be when dining out at home.

But we have never been to Disney expecting fine dining. But we have always been pleasantly surprised at the good meals we have had and the good service.
I also agree with another poster, that your attitude from the minute you walk in is key to your overall experience. And if there is an issue, being polite, gracious yet firm about what you want, is also key in having a good time and meal.
We always note our servers name, ask how their day is going and engage in some small talk and smile. Our children are well behaved and we are polite.
The CM's have always acted that way in return.

SFTrny
07-25-2008, 10:48 PM
This thread certainly doesn't meet my expectations. I prefer several of the other threads over this one.

Goes4FastPass
07-28-2008, 06:28 PM
We've said, "it's the guests" about a jillion ways. Maybe, sometimes it's the restaurant. I've gone back to a favorite WDW restaurant on apparently a bad night and seen a big difference. Maybe tomorrrow night it will be good again.

I don't want to rely on luck to be seated where the server isn't overworked or otherwise having a bad day.

I don't want to get the dried-out overcooked entree before a new batch is made.

I just want consistency - like the way I consistently pay every time I visit Disney World.

conorsmom2000
07-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Very well said!!! :mickey:

This is also exactly what I was thinking when I first read the original post.... :thumbsup:

Gibbs
07-29-2008, 10:46 AM
I believe when you go Disney, you need to bring a little magic with you and Disney will take it from there.:mickey:[/QUOTE]

I like the way you think!:mickey:

MOJoe
07-29-2008, 01:25 PM
We've said, "it's the guests" about a jillion ways. Maybe, sometimes it's the restaurant.

I just want consistency - like the way I consistently pay every time I visit Disney World.

You are very close.

Consistency is the hallmark of the Disney experience. I am certain that Disney Dining strives to provide the same consistency at their restaurants that the guests of The Haunted Mansion or Expedition Everest have. But as intricate and complicated are all the Disney attractions we love to visit, creating and serving a stellar meal has one more layer of difficulty - the human element.

On my last visit, i was fortunate enough to dine at Cali Grill. It was my first time there. My server said something that stuck with me. "The food here is great. The only way we can mess it up, is if i drop it on the floor." Well i am certain that if my sushi was dropped on the floor at the Cali Grill, it's next stop would be the trash can. But would that be true everywhere? I have some restaurant experience, and i know the answer to that question. And it is not the answer you want to hear. This would be a glaring example, and totally inconsistant with the high standards we expect of Disney. But the point is, humans make subjective decisions and errors. This is true on both sides of the menu.

Restaurants are not theme park attractions. (With Sci-Fi being a possible exception.) There are just too many uncontrolable variables. So until we all eat "replicated food" a la Star Trek, consistency will be a goal. Not a guarantee. That's why we can all have, and be entitled to our opinions.