PDA

View Full Version : School Bread?

Bethis26fan
07-23-2008, 12:18 PM
What is school bread from norway. I've hear people on here for over a year now talk about how good it is but what is it. Well other than bread. :)

AvonleaCF
07-23-2008, 12:35 PM
It's sweet bread (VERY sweet). It's basically a huge donut. Filled with custard and topped with coconut and glaze.

I didn't care for it cause it was too heavy and rich on a hot summer day.

jszczur5
07-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Yeah, Avonlea described it perfectly. We picked some up two years ago, before going to dinner at Rose and Crown. Unfortunately, they sat out in the hot, humid night air for a couple of hours before we made it back to POP. We were too full to eat them, so we put them in the cooler until the next morning. They weren't that great, but I think that was our fault. I'm going to give them another try this year, sometime in the mid afternoon when I am hungry, and can eat it right away. I'll let you know if I end up revising my opinion.

Disney Doll
07-23-2008, 02:45 PM
I think they're good, but not as great as some make them seem. I don't know I guess they are just too rich for me. DH and I shared one last time and that worked out well. I like School Bread in small doses.

Bethis26fan
07-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks.

Jasper
07-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I would agree with the others that this is one of those times where you can indeed have too much of a good thing. I would think that for most people sharing one is probably enough at one sitting rather than trying to get through one by yourself. Not only because they are rather generous in size but just as much because they are very rich and heavy.

Ropachs
07-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Any chance you can use a snack credit for one?

MickeyMousse
07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I finally tried it back in November after seeing the posts about it. I loved it! It's like a big, soft donut (taste like white bread, I thought!) filled with a custard, topped with glaze and cocnut. If you don't like coconut, pass it up.
No, I don't think I'd like it as much on a hot, sticky day. It was November, on a nice cool evening paired with a hot chocolate. :thumbsup:

"SULLEY "RULES!!
07-23-2008, 09:00 PM
It sounds delicious!!! My husband and I will have to try it. Thanks for the info..:thumbsup:

Next trip: November 24th thru December 5th

Maleficent's Dad
07-23-2008, 09:06 PM
School Bread is:
1. Bread - do NOT think you're getting a donut - it is WHITE BREAD
2. BREAD that is shaped like a donut
3. Filled with custard
4. Topped with coconut
5. Revered here on Intercot, although I personally found it revolting - very disappointing

***I will recommend this - whether it's School Bread or another food/restaurant, everyone should/needs to experience it for themselves. So give it a shot!!! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
07-23-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't like coconut so I won't be trying it. Thanks for the info though.

Jul
07-24-2008, 12:51 AM
Try the cloudberry horn instead!!!! :tasty:

Bethis26fan
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Try the cloudberry horn instead!!!! :tasty:

What is that?

mouseketeer mom
07-24-2008, 09:09 AM
The school bread was over the top sweet and heavy. A heart attack in a box. I like to try everything that people make such a fuss about, but this time it didn't live up to the hoopla! We all picked on it, and ended up throwing alot of it away.

Going2HeavenRU
07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Has anyone noticed that the school breads are smaller than they used to be? I seem to remember that 4 of us could easily eat one a couple of years ago but now it seems only big enough for 2. May just be me. I like them but would never eat one on my own for the reasons that people list above about the sweetness

Marilyn Michetti
07-24-2008, 11:17 AM
I LOVE sharing one every trip with DH. We each get a dessert and coffee, and call it a late lunch.:cloud9: In Dec., it's perfect !

I can hardly wait ! :D

Jul
07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
A cloudberry horn is a flaky pastry shaped like a horn with sugar crystals sprinkled on top. It is filled with cloudberry cream. The taste is hard to describe. It is sweet without being overly sweet. Very worthy of a try!! :thumbsup:

Bethis26fan
07-25-2008, 07:38 AM
A cloudberry horn is a flaky pastry shaped like a horn with sugar crystals sprinkled on top. It is filled with cloudberry cream. The taste is hard to describe. It is sweet without being overly sweet. Very worthy of a try!! :thumbsup:

Sounds good

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-25-2008, 01:46 PM
My mom loves coconut but I'm concerned about the bread part-does it not get soggy?

dixielandings
07-27-2008, 12:53 AM
So does it come from the Bakery or Akershus?

Crow
07-27-2008, 02:23 AM
its in the Kringla bakery
good to have w a viking coffee

Magic Smiles
07-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I love both coconut and custard. Needless to say when I tried the Schoolbread on our last visit I thought it was AMAZING. This turned out to be lunch as it was so filling. Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/15708334@N03/2708121249/)

LeeAnn
07-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Can you use a Snack Credit for a School Bread

Mackflava99
07-28-2008, 12:08 PM
i tried one this year and it was very heavy- not as good as it was made out to be-
But not bad by any stretch.-

too much for one person- we had 4 people and left 2/3 of it

SBETigg
07-28-2008, 12:22 PM
It's sweet bread (VERY sweet). It's basically a huge donut. Filled with custard and topped with coconut and glaze.

I didn't care for it cause it was too heavy and rich on a hot summer day.

As a donut-lover, I have to disagree. I'm wth Frank (Maleficent's Dad). I was hoping it would be a donut. It looked like a donut. But the taste and texture? Nothing like a donut, or doughnut, if you prefer. It was more like, um, bread. Very dense and bready bread. Not light and airy at all. And not even sweet. The filling is a very buttery custard that is not actually very sweet, just lightly sweet. The topping is very sweet, but not enough to save the rest of it.

All in all, I was really disappointed. It's heavy, filling, and not delectable enough to tempt me back for another one, though others simply rave over them. You have to try it, I think, just to know what the fuss is.

LizLovesDiz
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
It sounded ssoooo good until you all mentioned the coconut topping,yuk!!!

Magic Smiles
07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
I added a photo of the school bread in my previous post if anyone who doesn't know what it is wants to have a look.

crazyred11588
12-30-2008, 12:35 PM
it is AMAZING. I seriously don't like coconut, but I loved the school bread. They definitely taste a lot better when they're chilled rather than warm imo. We ended up using several snack credits on them at the end of our trip last time and put them in the fridge in our room for breakfast the next morning!

thanks for posting the picture by the way. you're making my mouth water! lol :D

teambricker04
12-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Coconut doesn't seem very, I don't know, Norwegian. Just saying.

If you don't want to try the school bread or the cloudberry horn, try the lefse! NUM!!! It is sort of like a potato based tortilla (pretty much made the same way just made mainly out of potatoes!!). At our house we eat it with butter or butter and sugar (Usually with Swedish meatballs or herring), but at WDW it has butter and a light sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar. Perfect with some Viking coffee.

mouseketeer mom
12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I could not understand all of the hoopla over this school bread when we tried it. It was like a heavy big donut. Did not impress us!

GINNY69
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
If you could choose one snack that you can not ordinarily get on a regular basis from any of the countries in Epcot what would it be..?

:eat:

IamBelle
01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
We went to the Norway Bakery and didn't get the school bread, but we did get the cloudberry horn and a sweet pretzel with almonds on it. They were delicious!

Mommy2boys
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I think they're good, but not as great as some make them seem. I don't know I guess they are just too rich for me. DH and I shared one last time and that worked out well. I like School Bread in small doses.

I agree!

Crow
01-03-2009, 02:57 AM
i heard something about them changing the schoolbread...caramel instead of frosting?

Magic Smiles
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
i heard something about them changing the schoolbread...caramel instead of frosting?

Sorry but that would be AWFUL!

cindchan
01-03-2009, 10:23 PM
If you could choose one snack that you can not ordinarily get on a regular basis from any of the countries in Epcot what would it be..?

:eat:

I'd get a crepe with cherries from France, like I did last time I was there. Mmmmmm. :cloud9:

Cinderelley
01-05-2009, 02:07 AM
My mom loves coconut but I'm concerned about the bread part-does it not get soggy?

No,it's not soggy. It's just a little piece of heaven.

huzzah4
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Schoolbread has to be one of, if not the absolute best snack items in WDW. Although I know I probably should split it, I just can't bring myself to do so. It is a not so little slice of heaven right here on earth.

They have definitely gotten smaller, they seem to be about 1/2 the size they were previously (which actually works out well for me, I can eat what should be split between 2 people instead of 4). Also they have switched the topping, I don;t know that it is caramel, but it is definitely dark instead of the white frosting. For those that do not like coconut, if I had not seen that there was coconut on top of it, I do not think I would ever have known, there is almost no coconut flavor at all. And finally, yes, you can definitely use a snack credit for it.