PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom or Studios?

FaithTrustPixieDust
07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
So many people seem to spend only 1/2 day at Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios. If you had to pick one or the other, where would you spend your time?

elmjimmlm
07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
AK would be my choice...There seems like to me so much more to see and do there...

GrumpyFan
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
While I like both parks a lot, but for different reasons, I picked DHS. Hollywood Studios evokes something strange in me, that is hard to describe. I get "silly", for lack of a better word. I come out of my normally shy and somewhat introverted shell and interact with the Street Performers, volunteering to be in the shows, and just generally goofy.

TTA Metroliner
07-23-2008, 11:16 AM
DHS would be my choice. More attractions, longer operating hours, more thrill rides, and FANTASMIC!!

Disney fans..
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I choose DHS over AK. I love both parks but AK feels a bit like a really big zoo.

Mackflava99
07-23-2008, 11:24 AM
DHS has alot of funthings and also has ALOT of character appearences.
Both are good- but AK just isnt as fun- except EE which rocks!!!

ryels
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
I have to go with DHS also. Although neither park is in the same league as MK or Epcot, all the parks seem to improve every time I go. DHS does have a unique feel to it that AK just doesn't have yet.

But it's getting there. Everest was a huge boost!

disneymom15
07-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I also picked DHS. Rockin rollercoaster is my favorite ride. I also like the shows and the street performers.

SBETigg
07-23-2008, 11:53 AM
We love AK more each time we go. Now we spend two half days there each trip, and less time at DHS than we used to.

Mousemates
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
DS has three great rides - ToT, RnR, toystory and one great night ending show Fantasmic

AK has two great rides Dino and EE...and no finale show

so for us its DS

RBrooksC
07-23-2008, 11:58 AM
For some reason AK evokes this wonderful feeling of being transported elsewhere. While it may be a "big zoo" it still designed to send you to some place else where you are there. DHS does the same thing but I don't think as completely as AK does. Also, the Dinosaur carnival area to me is a neat little place for me to go that reminds me of my trips to the beach and boardwalk each summer when I was a wee lad.

goofy89
07-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I spend much more time at DHS. Some of my favorite rides are there and I love the atmosphere :mickey:

DNS
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Animal Kingdom for us. We spend equivalent to a day an a half to two days there. We spend just a few hours at the Studios. Other than Fantasmic!, I really do not care if we even go to the Studios anymore.

PittFan
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
We generally spend a 1/2 day at AK and then go to DHS from there. We also spend at least 1 full day at the Studios. So it's a no brainer for us.... DHS !!! :number1:

KAJUNKING
07-23-2008, 12:26 PM
i picked hs, but it was very close imo

ThanxForNoticin
07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
We find AK to be the most relaxing of the parks. Most of the time, we'll enjoy the attractions, but we usually are looking for an enjoyable day with good entertainment. The Animal Kingdom definitely does that for us - in fact, we'll usually spend a whole day, not just half.

SurferStitch
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I chose AK. We really love this park, and do spend more time there than at DHS. DHS is cool, but if I had to choose one, it would be AK.

krorx
07-23-2008, 12:38 PM
AK is one of our favorites! But really, how can you go wrong with either?:mickey:

donnah77
07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Though I'm learning to enjoy AK more the more I get to know it, I picked DHS. I love the atmosphere and think it has great shopping. DD loves the Little Mermaid and HSM shows and has asked to go back a second day rather than AK.

Charlee
07-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Animal Kingdom is a half day park for us with only a few attractions to do: EE, Dinosaur and the Safari - we try to do Festival of the Lion King but mostly we are in and out of Animal Kingdom within a few hours.

Hollywood Studios is usually at least two or three days for us, we do all the shows and attractions and spend time just relaxing in the park not rushing to get on things.

Diznee4Me
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Another vote for AK. There is so much detail at AK - everywhere you look there seems to be something new to experience.

jszczur5
07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
DHS would be my choice. More attractions, longer operating hours, more thrill rides, and FANTASMIC!!

Ditto here. Tower of Terror and Rock'n Roller Coaster :thumbsup:

DisneyOtaku
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Studios for me. As much as I love Everest and a few other rides, Studios has the better package for me. Besides, it always seems hotter at AK than any other park. :confused:

Imagineer1981
07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
AK only because I used to work there. It is sooo hot there that I almost picked DHS just for that reason alone

spiderkd
07-23-2008, 04:40 PM
The Studios were a childhood fave and still rate very highly for me. :thumbsup:
On the other hand while I do really enjoy some parts of AK, I still tend to skip out on several lands (Dino U.S.A and Camp Minnie/Mickey).

FiremanDisney
07-23-2008, 05:28 PM
We really prefer A.K. over the Studios.
I like A.k. more and more every visit.

PopDivaPaige
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Hollywood studios 100%. I love the movies, spotlights, and Fantasmic!
:director::director::director:

bkfree
07-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Didn't even have to think a second on this one.
DHS all the way.
In fact, my kids would not even miss AK if we skipped it.And we are big animal people. But it is just a half day park for us and it seems to have no breezes and less air then the other parks. Along with the narrower paths, it just seems to wear us out.
But we all have such fun at DHS and spend about 2 days there.The shows, the rides and the atmosphere just seemes very relaxed, fun and energizing.
In fact,if I asked my kids to choose between MK and DHS, they would have a hard time deciding.
We spend the same amount of time at both.

PopDivaPaige
07-23-2008, 11:25 PM
I love DHS, my favorite ride of TOT! WOOT! I love scary things, so this is like, totally me!

EDIT: Oh, I already posted here ROFL... Awkward.....O.o...

Coolwench
07-23-2008, 11:29 PM
I have to go with DHS. I love the lure of Hollywood. The shows, the rides and the shoping.

JPL
07-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Animal ingdom Hand down. It has the most details of all the Disney Parks and it truly is a different experience everytime you go. I really enjoy walking down the trails and seeing the animals & riding the Safari at different times of day gives you a unique ride every time. I can spend a good hour on each trail just walking and taking in the sights and talking with the CMs out on the trails. I think to truly enjoy AK you need to relax and take your time and step back from the traditional WDW mindset of rushing to the next attraction. Think of how more likely you are to see something interesting if you watch the Gorillas for 5-10 minutes rather than the run past I see most people doing.

MickeysEars
07-23-2008, 11:43 PM
I love the different continents we get to visit. the only thing is, it is sooooooooooooo much walking!!!

ParkMan
07-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Didn't have to even think about it - it's AK for me.

It's got great themeing - we are always amazed at how much attention to detail there is at AK.

it's got some great shows. In particular we really like the Nemo & Lion King shows.

it's got animals - we really like the 2 walks as well as the safari.

Sure, DHS has more rides, but for me, the rides are such a small part of the whole experience.

Young@Heart
07-24-2008, 12:12 AM
At this point, I'd say DHS. I prefer this park, and so does DD. DH and DS's would probably pick AK, but.....we haven't been on TSM yet. I bet in a couple weeks, they'll prefer DHS over AK. :thumbsup:

Kisobel
07-24-2008, 03:39 AM
AK- because i love EE very much.

kate

RAIDER
07-24-2008, 04:01 AM
A couple of years ago i would have gone for Hollywood ,but with EE and Nemo amongst other things now i have plumped for AK ....JUST !!!!:thumbsup:

tjstrike
07-24-2008, 04:14 AM
I'll say AK because at DHS I find myself walking in circles or from one side of the park to the other waiting on a show to start. RnRc is my favorite ride but there's way to many shows, not enough rides at DHS.

GrmGrninGost
07-24-2008, 05:45 AM
EE made it a bit closer, but I still much prefer DHS! :mickey:

Rhetoric2000
07-24-2008, 06:38 AM
Animal ingdom Hand down. It has the most details of all the Disney Parks and it truly is a different experience everytime you go. I really enjoy walking down the trails and seeing the animals & riding the Safari at different times of day gives you a unique ride every time. I can spend a good hour on each trail just walking and taking in the sights and talking with the CMs out on the trails. I think to truly enjoy AK you need to relax and take your time and step back from the traditional WDW mindset of rushing to the next attraction. Think of how more likely you are to see something interesting if you watch the Gorillas for 5-10 minutes rather than the run past I see most people doing.

:high5: Quoted for Truth.

I feel a bit of a headdesk moment every time there is a complaint about there being little to do in AK, given how much richer it is than any other theme park I've ever visited, with only the other three WDW parks being close. Asia inparticular is a triumph, an unbelievably richly themed space with all sorts around - which people duly rush past on the way to get to EE (before, apparently leaving he park announcing there's nothing else to do. As I say - headdesk).

Half day park? I usually spend about three there, as opposed to what is usually a single full day at MK, 1.5 days at Studios and 2 at EPCOT.

BritCody
07-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I love EE, but even with that we typically only spend a little over a 1/2 of a day at AK. DHS has more to offer for my families touring needs

wdwfansince75
07-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I voted DHS....before last trip, it would have been a tougher call. I love both EE and RnRC, and enjoy the other attractions and shows at both. But the addition of Toy Story was the tie breaker. But since this is a hypothetical question, my solution to this hypothetical dilemma would be to add an additional day, and do both. They are both becoming a full day park....However, since we are incurable park hoppers, we tend to do half days, with the end of the day at MK or EPCOT.

I did 3 half days at DHS, but only one at AK. Thanks to the baby swap, and Sam's first visit, did get to do EE three times in that half day. And I was 6 of the 300,000 guests on Toy Story in its first month.

Giselle
07-24-2008, 10:15 AM
We really like AK and often will spend a couple of days of our vacation there. We have a 4 yo and there are lots of things to do there that aren't "thrill rides" that she enjoys. Lion King Festival, Tricertop Spin, Kilimanjaro Safari, Its a Bugs Life, Character Meet n Greet, Nemo musical and others.:mickey: and of course the animals. I just wonder why its 10 degrees hotter there than the rest of the parks?

WDWHart
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
I like DHS for obvious reasons, ToT and RnRC:rocker:, but my DW loves the monkeys :monkey: and gorrillas at AK. I like the LONG quite walks. Oh wait I forgot about the load children and the people in those single rider people movers!:thedolls:

brownie
07-24-2008, 10:41 AM
We've only really put in a half-day at Animal Kingdom. We probably could spend most of a day there, but with so much else to do at Disney World, something's got to give somewhere.

Davyjones
07-24-2008, 10:48 AM
AK for my wife and I. We'll spend a whole day there and open to close it. :thumbsup: DHS has just never really interested us, even back when it was MGM. We hardly go there anymore. AK is a "Big Zoo", but isn't that what it's there for? We spend more of the time watching the animals than seeing the shows or doing the rides. Although I finally got my wife to ride Everest last time we were there. :) She loves it now!

MickeyMousse
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Animal Kingdom. :simba: My family finds so much more to do there than at DHS. Last trip we tried to spend a day there because we had early ressies at Sci Fi, and it was a struggle! I think we could do DHS in about 30 minutes sometimes......:(

Crystal Palace
07-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Animal Kingdom - no contest!

kdsjjb
07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, for this upcoming trip and for all previous trips I would say Studios.

BUUTTTT...

If you are talking about a trip next year (after they cut Fantasmic down to two nights a week) I'm sure that we will be spending less time there and more time at AK.

I can't even imagine what the Studios will be like on Fantasmic nights, and I may wind up avoiding it altogether.

laward32
07-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I picked DHS because I am a huge movie nut and I love the atmosphere. Plus my youngest DD6 looooves TOT, she will ride it over and over.:mickey:

Mad About Mickey
07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
We really enjoy AK and always make a day of it by taking our time and doing everything. But our children absolutely love TOT and RnRC, yet to try TSM, so we picked DHS over AK.