PDA

View Full Version : Gameboy/Blackberry in parks

GrumpyFan
07-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Pardon me while step up on the :soapbox: for a minute.

I think it's really sad to see kids and adults who can't take a vacation without their electronic device (gameboy, PSP, blackberry, etc). I've seen kids and adults all the time walking down Main Street, Hollywood Boulevard, etc, glued to their little gadget, all the while missing the atmospehere, missing the fun, the magic that's all around them.

I used to be one of these people myself. My first trip to WDW, many years ago, I carried a cell phone and a pager, and checked them numerous times on my trip. But then I realized, this is MY vacation, whatever is happening on the other side of this phone/pager, will still be happening when I get back, and I will deal with it then. Right now I'm going to enjoy my hard earned (and expensive) vacation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a gadgeteer too, and I own at least one of these devices as do all my kids, but I choose to leave these things, and I insist that my kids leave theirs in the room or at home when we're at WDW.

If you can't go to WDW and have fun without being tethered to one of those gadgets, then why bother going? Seems like a waste of a ticket to me. But, that's just my opinion.

Okay, stepping down now, preparing for the backlash.

wdw4us
07-23-2008, 11:45 AM
I do agree with you, however I think there are times when a gaming device would be nice. Like when parents are enjoying a meal longer than child likes. Keep them from being bored. Sitting waiting for a parade might also be a good time. I certainly agree with not walking and playing. There is too much atmosphere to take in.
I see you are also from Houston, do you ever drive or just fly?

Missy_Mouses_Dad
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
I agree with you 100%. If they are going to spend their whole vacation on their electronic devices, stay home and do it in the basement!!

:thumbsup:

GrumpyFan
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I see you are also from Houston, do you ever drive or just fly?

We've been in Houston for almost 4 years, but we've never driven. It just seems too far. However, I will say, that if we did drive, I wouldn't have an issue with the gadgets in the car for the trip.

Ropachs
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Agreed. We WILL be taking our cell phones on this trip - just to be able to communicate when we are seperated, but that's it!

PittFan
07-23-2008, 12:27 PM
On our last visit, DW and I agreed to allow the kids to take their Gameboy Advance to kill time on the 20+ hour drive to the WORLD. We figured since they had it w/ them that they would bve allowed to put it in their hip pack incase we had a very long wait at a restaurant or something similar. Not once did they pull it out. They said they don't even want to bring them this year! DD is 12 & DS is 10. :mickey:

cfoshe
07-23-2008, 12:31 PM
For some of us, it is required. Last week I was one of them using my PALM TREO, my job requires me to be available 24/7 365 days a year. I had a few issues come up at work that could not wait until I got back. Now I did limit my usage to about every 3 hours, and only addressed the things that had to be done right away.

thrillme
07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
I admit I like having them too. ESPECIALLY for my son. Waiting for resturants (we don't do ADRs), waiting in "forever" lines (I use fastpasses but what are you supposed to do till your "fastpass" time...sometimes you've just got to stand in line). They come in really handy. My son swears the line goes faster when he plays his game. The DS's are cool because if there's other kids in line with their DS's...before you know it we're all playing a game together.

We do make phone calls "Ma Reports" to grandma...to tell her neat things that we see and do...but other than that we really don't use the phone much except to locate each other or other people in our party when we get separated.

I guess what blows my mind and I absolutely hate is when you're on a ride or in a show and then you're suddenly distracted by some :mad: who absolutely MUST flip open their blinding cell phone and spend the rest of the show/ride texting someone. I don't care that they're texting but please NOT on a ride or show (or in the movies :mad::mad::mad:). It's very distracting.

DizNee143
07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
truthfully i could careless what other people are doing on their vacation..i use my cell phone every now and then while im in disney..
and i still manage to have fun and a good time..so it really doesnt interfer with my vacation..if i didnt want to use it..then i wouldnt..
and just because people use those 'gadgets' how do you know they arent having a good time???

Jeri
07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
We bring our cell phone but they are always on vibrate and we don't use them doing shows and stuff.
We do bring my older sons gameboy. He doesn't use it walking down the street but for long waits in line he does. He has Aspergers, and severe anxiety and he tends to get fidgety, and has a hard time being so close to other people so for those times he will use it for a distraction. All I can say is if you are near us in line you would be happy he was playing it and not freaking out or banging into people from fidgeting. Plus if he has something to do with his hands then he wouldn't be peeling the skin off then too.

So for some people there isn't much choice for leaving them home. I think we wouldn't be having as much fun if we left them home.:(

One other thing if you saw my son walking down mainstreet you probably would never be able to tell he has anything wrong.:secret:

ibrowse17
07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
If I am paying for their tickets, no PSP's or Gameboy's or whatever else. If I want to see them glued to one of those, I would stay at home.

btharvey
07-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll take my Blackberry for a few reasons.

First of all, it's my only cell phone, and I believe in carrying one in case of emergencies. Yes there are numerous folks around, but if you're in Space Mountain (for example) and there's a problem/stoppage or someone's injured/sick, yelling doesn't do well. Phones can, and emergency folks can get numbers and alert folks quickly.

Secondly, DD will get bored waiting in line some times (as do I), and it does have a few games that keep her occupied for a while. Likewise, I carry my books on my Blackberry, so I can always call up something to pass the time.

Third, while I'd love to stand out and proclaim that I absolutely refuse to be of any assistance to my co-workers during my vacation absence, I understand that (because we aren't a "huge" company) sometimes I'm the only one who knows something. Yes it's documented, but not everyone keeps the doc as they're supposed to, especially clients. I'd rather spend 5 minutes helping out -- and it doesn't hurt for them to know they've interrupted me waiting for Expedition Everest -- than endure fifteen minutes of a tirade of why wasn't the info available when they threw it out themselves but it's my fault anyway.

Finally, I do agree that you should enjoy the park, don't text, don't stare into the little pack (else why spend the $$ on tickets, etc.?). But there are (almost) no absolutes out there, much as I'd like to believe there are. Just pity the poor fools who don't look up when they walk into that baby carriage while texting.

SBETigg
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
I definitely agree with you. My kids love their gadgets, but have never even considered bringing them outside the room at WDW. My husband is practically attached to his BlackBerry, but when we're on vacation, it stays in the hotel room. He does have to check in to see what's going on at work, but he does it only twice a day, morning and night, before and after our days out and about. I bring my cell phone and the kids bring theirs, but this is only so that we can separate, meet up, and keep track of each other in parks. Otherwise, no electronic devices.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Okay, I understand about the gameboys in line and even that cell phones and walkie talkies help you stay connected to teens in the parks....however once you get on or enter the attractions, nobody's experience should be ruined by continuous talking or beeping....we had this happen several times during our last trip with those groups that love to carry walkie talkies....imagine riding Pirates of the Caribbean and hearing yo-ho, yo-ho, beep-beep, hey where you at dude?..life for me....Oops did we just miss something:rant:

Lorraine444
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I will not allow my son to bring these items on a trip to Disney!
I want to put a hammer to the XBox @ home as it is!
He's at camp now for 2 weeks, and he is probably having withdrawels! HEE HEE!
Those things take a child out of reality, and they are addicting! HATE THEM!
Go ahead Holla back @ me....

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I bring my cell phone so that I can stay in touch with the others in my party who are there with me. I also keep it on because my Mom is getting up there in age and in a nursing home. And I have a nephew with health issues. And yes for work too. As you can tell from my screen name, I do the payroll for 650+ employees. And unfortunately I don't have anyone trained for back up. I'm trying to change that before my next trip. So if something really needs to be answered then they need to reach me right away. Most people can't wait until I get back to do a manual check if their pay was wrong. But I don't use it to just chat, unless of course it's to rub it in that I'm in Disney and the other person isn't. But even then I don't rub it in but rather want to share my experiences.
And I can see parents using them to keep the kids occupied while waiting in lines etc. Me, I'd rather people watch, it's so much more interesting!