PDA

View Full Version : my mom the blind skydiver

drhama
07-22-2008, 08:14 PM
This is just too amazing. My mother who is now 71 had let her blindness control her life until 4 years ago when I said that I would take her to WDW if she would learn some daily life skills. She totally took it on. Signed up for a blind school and became their poster child. We did go visit Mickey in 2006 and had a great time. Now she is out to conquer the world. Decided to go skydiving and her story has gone nationwide. She wants to inspire others to live life to the fullest no matter what difficulties you may have. Here is the link if you would like to watch. Really cute even if she wasn't my mom.
http://www.kval.com/news/25105869.html?video=YHI&t=a

tinkerbellybutton
07-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Wow! What a wonderful lady, you must be so proud. She is just way too cute. The video is great and what a way to remember it. Thanks so much for sharing and thanks so much to your mom for being an inspiration!:thumbsup:

jennsky
07-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Okay, that is so cool that she's your mom. I am a television director in Toronto, Canada and we ran that story on our newscast up here! That is so neat! We all think that your mom looks WAY younger than 71...meaning she looks great for her age. We really enjoyed the story. That is so cool!! Small world that I'd find you on Intercot!!

Flower
07-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Yeah for your mom!!!

What an inspiration!!!

mrsgaribaldi
07-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Your mom rocks:thumbsup:
She is adorable and very inspiring:mickey:

Melanie
07-23-2008, 12:17 AM
That was awesome! Your mom is such an inspiration. I love how she said it felt like heaven.

Were you in that video too?

drhama
07-23-2008, 12:55 AM
Thank you all for your nice words.
She does look great for her age. She will probably out live me. Healthy as a horse and cute as a bug. All of 99 lbs and 5 feet tall.
I had pneumonia and could not make the hour drive from our house. My daughter and grandson were hugging mom before her jump. My dad was the old guy at the counter and my sister was the big girl with the camera.
Mom is pushing me to jump with her next year. We will see. Seems such a shame to jump out of a perfectly good plane.
Really cool that the piece was running in Canada as well. My mother the star.
And to think, it all started with a mouse.

mrsgaribaldi
07-23-2008, 03:04 AM
I've always said I wanted to do that and now I think I will seriously look into it thanks to your mom. :hug:

Jeri Lynn
07-23-2008, 06:18 AM
That is such a great story! Kudo's to your Mom and to you for giving her the encouragement that she needed to get out and live life!!

I hope she gets to go back to Disney soon!!

RedSoxFan
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM
What a nice story. You must be proud.

jrkcr
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Your mom is so cool!! :cool:

drhama
07-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I just talked to Mom. She is now getting calls from people who were inspired by her news piece and want more info so they too can sky dive. One was a person who is losing her sight and wants to jump while she still has some vision and one that is in a chair. How about that?
Go Mom.:thumbsup:

Marilyn Michetti
07-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Your mom is AWESOME ! What an adventure to jump out of a plane, not being able to see the ground coming up to meet you. She's incredible!:plane:

WDWFanatic
07-23-2008, 01:26 PM
What a great story! Please give your mom :thumbsup: from all of us here!

Ed
07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow!! That's great! It's tremendous that she's discovered that life can still be wonderful despite what some would consider "limitations".

And she's sooooo dang cute! :thumbsup:

murphy1
07-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Your mom rocks!!

I just had surgery last month and found out I don't have cancer, I have always grabbed life by the horns and been very positive. But when faced with obstacles and overcoming them, you feel you just have to live life to the fullest, and your mom is doing that!! Thanks for sharing!!

drhama
07-23-2008, 06:18 PM
So glad to hear that you don't have cancer murphy1 and nice to hear that you have always lived life to the fullest. I have lost too many friends. Cancer *****.
I am very proud of my mom. It is a shame that she waited so long before she figured out what she was capable of. Now she is making up for lost time. No telling what she will do next.
Maybe someone I know will reward her with another trip to visit Mickey.:mickey:

murphy1
07-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Nope, not too late, she found out exactly when she needed to. I truly feel that things fall into place when they are supposed to. I think it's great that you are so supportive of your mom, too. Believe me, it means a lot to her.

pianobabe
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
:cool:Too cool

drhama
07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
None of us could have dreamed that the clip would have gotten so much wide spread play. You can't help but be inspired which was the whole point.
For her efforts she got a special gift today.
My mother has been looking for an old friend for many years with no luck. As it turns out, a woman my Dad thought was Mom's old friend's daughter saw the clip and submitted a post stating that she knew this lady when she was a kid. It took several days before Dad saw the post and tried to contact the person with no luck. It was Mom's friend's daughter and I guess she told her Mother who contacted my Mom today after 25 years.
Miracles do happen.

IloveDisney71
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow! Your mom is an inspiration. It is too neat that her old friend found her thru this clip!!!

disneydeb
07-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Thank you for sharing! I bet your mom has blessed you ith some of her spirit. My 78 year of mom has lost her sight too. She spends her time listening to books on tape and visiting with her friends.

Dsnygirl
07-27-2008, 01:37 AM
:) What a wonderful story -- both how she has turned her life around and found old friends AND the jump! Amazing to watch! You must be very proud of her! :thumbsup: