PDA

View Full Version : Lyme Disease

JessicaRabbit
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Has anyone had experience with this disease? My husband was just diagnosed with lyme disease and from all of the stuff I've heard from around our town and the internet I'm scared that he might suffer some permanent damage from this disease.

I noticed a "bullseye" type rash on his back on Saturday and at first we both thought he was stung by a bee while he was swimming. Sunday he said he wasn't feeling well - run down and like he had the flu. This morning he was so achey that he could hardly walk and he could barely see b/c he had such a bad headache, so we went to the doctor and he was diagnosed with Lyme. He's on antibiotics (Doxycycline) for the next 21 days, but then they want to do tests on him after that to see if any damage was done. This is the part that scares me. There are two children in our town who were recently diagnosed with severe cases of lyme - one (13) is now in a wheel chair and can no longer speak; the other (8) is having seizures. I was under the impression that the reason these two children were so sick is b/c the disease wasn't caught in time - now I'm worried about the Dr. wanting DH to have these tests. Then I went on the internet and read a whole bunch of stories of people who say that even after their rounds of antibiotics they are still suffereing pain and asthma related problems, sometimes years after being diagnosed. Anyone know anything about this horrid disease? I'm sick with worry and doubly worried that one of my kids will contract it too as we are pretty sure DH contracted it from around the house. I'd love to hear from anyone whose had experience with this disease, good or bad, so I know what we're up against. Thanks!

btharvey
07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Both my wife and I were diagnosed with lyme disease within the last ten years. Both of us had the 'bullseye' rash, both of us had fevers, aches and pains.

Both of us received treatment when these symptoms showed and both recovered fully.

As far as I know, the only reason he will have trouble from lyme disease is if it is not treated within the first month of the rash (and you seem to be on top of it here) or if the treatment does not completely get rid of the symptoms (need to keep treating it until all of the symptoms are done away with!).

There are resources on the web that will explain more and better, but to my knowledge, complications generally only occur when it is left untreated for a goodly length of time or if the treatment doesn't rid one of the symptoms.

The children in your town may not have been diagnosed right away, and that may have led to the severity. If your doctors have not had much experience with lyme, then I can understand why they want to check for complications ... but you needn't worry, if the symptoms leave fairly soon, in my opinion.

While he will always test positive for lyme disease from now on (antibodies are andibodies, after all), and while you can get it over and over again, if treated promptly and treated so the symptoms go away promptly, he should be fine.

We are.

bjlaac
07-21-2008, 03:16 PM
Both my wife and son have had it as well as the family dog. All were diagnosed quickly, while the tick was still attached and treated immediately.

Three year later and you would not know they ever had it. A year later and the Dog is fine too.

Keep a positive attitude and be sure to check for ticks EVERYTIME your family is outdoors where ticks thrive.

WishingStar2006
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
The previous posters are absoluely correct. If it isnoticed, diagnosed and treated within the first 30 days of the rash it is almost always remedied with the 21 day course of antibiotics. The testing after your husband is complete with the antibiotics is to make sure that the lyme's is completely gone. Somtimes this is done with just a round of blood tests and sometimes they test the spinal fluid as well.

If left untreated and is later "found" when testing for symptoms with no known cause...that is when the effect can be debiitating and life long...leading to fybromyalgia and other generalized pain and autoimmune diseases.

My prayers are with your husband and family. And as far as your children are concerned, they can't catch it from their Daddy...only if they are bitten by the tick so check them carefully everynight when you give them a bath and avoid wooded area's where deer live and play.

Marilyn Michetti
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
My DD has Lyme Disease. It was diagnosed in 1989 - (she was the third DOCUMENTED case in the Delaware Valley). She was allergic to the Tetracycline that was supposed to "cure" the disease, so the Dr. stopped it after a week.

The good news for most people with Lyme Disease today is that it's manageable. If I'm correct, it's a virus that goes into remission and might or might not resurface later. Beth has symptoms like fatigue, some joint degeneration, and days she feels like she has the flu - you know, aches and pains, etc. They didn't know much about the disease in 1989, and have come a long way in diagnosing and treating. If you saw the "bullseye", it's early. We never did see the site, but she had long, dark hair, and the ticks can bite anywhere. We've read lots on the management, and from what I understand, early detection and agressive treatment is the ticket. I'm certainly no expert, so listen to your Dr.'s. I'm just telling you that almost 20 years later, DD is doing fine with some bad days, and is an RN doing 12 hour shifts in an ICU.

Here's "real" pixie dust - (I call it prayer), for you all. JUST GET BETTER !:)

SurferStitch
07-22-2008, 12:39 PM
My nephew got lyme disease when he was 5 or 6. He also got the bullseye rash (which doesn't always occur), and his parents immediately took him to the doctor.

He went on the 21 day antibiotic regimen, and turned out perfectly fine. He's now almost 16, and has had no health issues at all.

As others have said, permanent damage usually comes from lack of treatment, and recurring symptoms. The more times is reoccurs, the more damage is done. Sounds like you caught it early, so no worries!

JessicaRabbit
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
You all have really eased my mind! That is the trouble with researching stuff on the internet - it tends to scare you a bit.

DH is still feeling poorly - but I'm hoping the meds will kick in soon so that he isn't so achey. We'll be vigilant checking the kiddos that is for sure.

Thanks again for your well-wishes and responses. They really, really helped!

Sue

MNNHFLTX
07-23-2008, 09:46 AM
Just some additional reassurance--my nephew (who works with a state forestry service) was diagnosed with Lyme disease several years ago, after noticing the tell-tale rash. Following his treatment with antibiotics he has had absolutely no ill effects from the infection. As others have said, the chance of any lasting problems is greatly reduced if the infection is caught in its initial phase. :)

garymacd
07-23-2008, 03:57 PM
You caught it early enough and he is on treatment.

Just a hint: make certain he takes the meds EXACTLY as prescribed. Many people start taking medications and stop when they feel better.

Wrong!

If a doctor says you need ten days of antibiotics for strep throat, you need ten days of antibiotics, not seven. All you are doing after seven days is making the bacteria drug resistant.

So, continue on the meds until the doctor says stop. He should be fine. You did catch it early enough.

And when it's over? Go to DisneyWorld!