PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes & Central Florida

TexasPrincessAurora
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
How do the hurricanes really impact the central Florida (and WDW area) in reality? Do they or have they historically incurred much damage? Or is it just major rainstorms and wind that come through? DH is contemplating moving a few years down the line and we love this area...but if we are going to live in constant worry of a hurricane it wouldn't be worth it to me anyway.

ibrowse17
07-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Growing up along the Gulf Coast, I have been through more hurricanes than I can remember. You get used to it after time, just like other areas worry about snow or something. At least you can see them coming for days ahead of time, and get the heck out of dodge if needed. The biggest worry is storm surge, or the water that is pushed ashore by the storm. At least that is the case here in Mobile, AL. The further you go inland, the more wind and tornado damage seems to be. While I have never been close to Disney during a hurricane, I would guess that water is not their major concern. I would think wind to be foremost in their minds, and would act accordingly. In talking to folks that have been at Disney during a storm, Disney has a good plan to take care of it's guests, just like we would expect them to:thumbsup:

MsMin
07-21-2008, 09:14 AM
I too grew up with hurricanes and have "weathered" many ;) We lost our house when I was young. Inland in Florida there is a reduced risk but as mentioned wind and tornadoes are always a threat. The problem I've seen in Fla. is that so many people live in trailers and they really take a beating in a storm.
While you don't have to go a sea on a raft in a storm, sometimes you just have to believe that if it's your time it can happen anywhere. Remember too that your elevation is important and get familiar w/ your area flood plain. An oceanside trailer is out of the question...

murphy1
07-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I grew up on West Coast of Florida and the wind is what gets Central Florida plus tornadoes. When my sister and I were kids, we ran outside to see a water spout!! That was pretty scary. I can tell you that when you live in a coastal area, you either drive to the other coast or inland when there is a hurricane evacuation. Insurance coverage is expensive with less and less coverage. To be honest, I am actually more afraid of the weather here in GA than Florida, it rolls in very fast and there is no time to get out. I was never really scared of hurricanes.

TexasPrincessAurora
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
That does bring up another question...homeowners insurance. How expensive is it in the Orlando area? And does it cover everything or do they put exemptions on things that would be the real worries as far as disasters?

dnickels
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
The insurance thing has been a big deal down here the last few years. Much higher rates and some companies have stopped writing policies altogether. For the most part it's more of a problem closer to the coasts than it is inland like near Orlando.

It's just one of the prices you have to pay for living in the biggest hurricane target possible (a peninsula sticking out into tropical waters).

In answering your original question I'd mention that I was living in Miami when Katrina and Wilma blew through. Wilma came in from the other side of the state, crossed the peninsula and basically shut down South Florida for a week (we had no power for 10 days, most street lights down, etc.) and that was a pretty weak hurricane when it hit Florida.

If a big category 4 or 5 ever hits (and it will, it might be later this summer or it might be 30 years from now) then it won't matter if you live in the central part of the state, you'll suffer some major damage and go without electricity during a Florida summer for an extended period.

Winter storms in the north, tornadoes in the midwest, forest fires in the western U.S. There's really nowhere that you can avoid all risk.