PDA

View Full Version : When you visit the parks.......

DisneyBunch
07-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Do you get stressed out? If so, what pushes your "stress" button?

ParkMan
07-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Had to pick cranky kids. When my wife & I went without the kids last year, there wasn't anything that could get me stressed.

The only other thing that comes to mind is when people start suggesting we leave the park early and head back to the hotel.

elmjimmlm
07-20-2008, 09:58 PM
It would have to be cranky family members...Nothing brings you back to reality more that a meltdown in front of thousands of stangers...:thumbsup:

bkfree
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Never met a rude CM and we go during value season ,so long lines not really an issue either/
My kids or family members never get cranky at the World.
But there are several type of guests that get my goat.

Groups of teens without an adult that are rude and totally oblivious that anyone else is at the park but them.

Stoller nazi's that have no respect for personal space, and seem blind to walking guests, especially children.
PS:Add to this strollers with 6,7,8 and 9 year olds being pushed around so they-what- don't get any exercise or so they can save their energy to run over the other kids in line that actually walked there.:-o

Adults that are inconsiderate of kids at the parks. I know we are all kids at heart at Disney, but I have seen some really not kid friendly behavior toward the younger set.

Simba'sBud
07-20-2008, 11:08 PM
My DW and don't have any kids yet, so we usually go it alone. We seem to have no problem overlooking your occasional 'rude' guests due to the fact that every where we turn is a reminder of where we are and that alone helps keep us stress free.

So far, we've not had the unpleasurable experience of encountering a disgruntled CM. As a matter of fact, they have all seemed to be more than willing to accommodate our every request or concern.

My advice is when you encounter a negative situation at the World, just think of all those people having to work and who knows what else while you are playing in the most fun place in the world to be!! Just relax and enjoy yourself, cause life could be a lot worse!:cool:

Polynesian Dweller
07-20-2008, 11:22 PM
Don't really get stressed but there are two types of rude guests that annoy us.

1. People at CS locations who just leave their dirty trays and food all over the tables. Folks, its busy there, think of the other folks enjoying the parks and take 30 seconds to clean your table.

2. Guests who talk throughout a show. Let me hear what's going on.

Mickey91
07-20-2008, 11:24 PM
#1 Rude Cast Members
#2 Rude guests

RAIDER
07-21-2008, 03:57 AM
I put down rude guests ...but its queue jumpers that really annoy out of all of those choices :thumbsup:

Vicki Mouse
07-21-2008, 05:50 AM
I know that everyone wants to be front row for the parades but last visit 2 people kept standing in front of my kids to take pictures of the parade and fireworks. They had large zoom lenses and i'm sure they could have gotten a good shot from any position. Any time a new float would come down they would jump off the sidewalk and stand in front of my DD7 and DS4. The kids were sitting and are very tiny! The only other thing is that I have seen a mom get mad at and hit her child across the face. The child was only a toddler and was being over excited, but what do you expect with all the over stimulation, heat and fatigue?? Seeing such a horrible act against a child where they should be having the time of their lives was disturbing and bothered me the whole vacation. I wanted to go and say something to the woman but DH wouldn't let me.

BritCody
07-21-2008, 06:50 AM
I went with rude CM/poor service. As for rude guests you sort expect to encounter them at some point, but rude CM/poor service you are not expecting and if it does happen it causes stress.

Jeniflower
07-21-2008, 07:45 AM
I have to say rude guests too. the CMs put in such an effort to keep the magic going and then you see people just dumping trash or blocking kids from seeing the parades. last year just before the show at the castle, we were queing to get some drinks and the man in front was really rude to the CM and then called his girlfriend a very bad word while demanding money. i don't know who was more embarrased, us or the CM or his family!!!

disneymom2000
07-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Rude guests gets my vote. I been on a lot of vacations and seven times to WDW. I have never encountered as many rude guests as I have at the World. Besides the line jumpers, unfriendliness to kiddos, parents slapping or yelling at their kids I really have a problem with the people who do wait til the last minute to get to a parade and then stand in front of the people that have gotten their place way in advance. I have seen a whole family (up to 14) get in the handicap area with one handicapped member and not have room for other handicapped visitors. I wish the CM's would patrol this a little better. For my luck, I have never encountered a rude CM. Usually people who have, are usually being reprimanded for an infraction and think their civil rights have been trompled on. Guys - that's not rude, just a CM doing their job (probably one they would rather not have).:mickey:

yjgirl715
07-21-2008, 08:32 AM
It would really really disappoint me if I did get a rude castmember but that would put me in a bad mood- luckily I haven't had this problem. I have to admit that rude guests can also put me in a bad mood- but again I must have gotten lucky really lucky on our last trip but I didn't encounter one of those either. :mickey:

spiderkd
07-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I don't get stressed... at least that's what I like to think. Anytime I start to let the little things (or big things) bug me I take a step back, breathe deep and smile, after all I am in my favourite place in the world. It could be so much worse :)

Ropachs
07-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I voted for rude guests. I'm always the person who moves out of the way when someone is coming into my path, I consider it polite. When I took a trip with my (older) mother who clearly can't walk too well, I figured this time people would move for her (us.) WRONG. Folks young and old, stroller or no stroller, made no attempt to move out of our way. Occasionally when we didn't move, people would brush against one of us rather than take an extra step.
I have encountered a rude CM only once, same trip. At the HM, Mom and I were on the platform ready to board and her shoe slipped off. By the time she got it back on there was no way we could make it up to the buggy we were supposed to be in. So we hopped into the next one. The CM glared at her and said "okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay" in an extrememly rude tone. Should have gotten her name, I was just hoping Mom didn't hear so she didn't feel bad...

Minnie Imagineer
07-21-2008, 09:40 AM
cranky family members for me! My dad and my sister and so impatient when it comes to lines and my sister also hates people! My mom is patient, but she does not like to stay out for a long time at night or walk a lot

MickeyMousse
07-21-2008, 10:01 AM
Wow, great idea for a poll! Too bad I was limited to just one choice as it was a toughy between rude CM's/poor service and rude guests.
I voted on rude guests. I mean, we're all there for the same reason...to have fun! Give it a break.
I can give a slight break to the cm's because sometimes I just wouldn't want to be in their shoes. (especially when dealing with RUDE GUESTS!!)

laprana
07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I had to go with cranky family members! Nothing ruins a perfectly nice afternoon at WDW like a good ol' family spat about what to do next, who's getting on who's nerves, etc.

But, I do have to say that rude CMs was a close second for me. Luckily, I haven't encountered very many of them, but when I do, it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. On our most recent trip, when we checked into the Poly, the guy at the counter was so unbelieveably rude to us, we were just floored! He was really snotty from the get go, and when he told us what room we'd be in, we asked if we could see the pool from our balcony. His response was, "Well, if you lean off your balcony and look REALLY hard to the left, you might get to see a little section of the pool, if you're lucky." When we politely asked if there was a room available that did overlook the pool, he huffed loudly and said, "The room you were given is the best we can do. If you don't want this room, I don't know what to tell you." He didn't even make an effort to see if there was another room available. The room we were in was fine, but the way we were treated at check in left us all in a bad mood and a little angry. Put a little bit of a bad spin on the first couple days of our trip, especially considering how much $$$ we spent to stay there!!

biodtl
07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't usually get too stressed at WDW, but sometimes DH's stress level affects me. He gets easily irritated and it makes me and the kids feel a little stressed, too.

Hair_Razor
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I am surprised that I am the only person so far that gets stressed about money concerns. I guess all the other stuff I can walk away from if it bothers me. I can't magically produce more money. I wish!;)

IloveDisney71
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
I don't really get stressed at Disney. I have been offended by rude guests before, but I don't let them ruin my magic. I just go with the flow and enjoy every minute I'm there!:mickey:

DisneyBunch
07-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I have to admit that I'm a little surprised that more people didn't say that money concerns stressed them out, because that is always my DW main concern. It doesn't matter if we pay the trip off six months early, or stay in a value or deluxe, she always worries that we won't have enough money. In all fairness though, my DW is stressed about money before the trip. When we are in WDW (as the poll asks), we sprinkle her with pixie dust and the stress magically disappears:pixie::coaster::fworks:

NJGIRL
07-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't get stressed. I work full time all year long and take two vacations a year. I refuse to spend that precious time stressed out especially since you are spending so much money at Disney. If I allowed my self to get stressed I would rather stay home and save the money.

Diznee4Me
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Another vote here for money. The guests and rude CM's (although I have never met one) don't bother me - I would tune them out. The family is great so money is my main worry. For me there comes a point where I start thinking that I should be spending the money on something else and in today's world that is a big concern. We are still up in the air about this year's trip because of money - we still haven't made a firm decision yet.

Imagineer1981
07-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Its not long lines for me, but staying on schedule...trying to make that 6:30 ADR

mdricks
07-21-2008, 10:51 AM
I said long lines but truthfully my biggest stressor is the guests that dont get it. Not rude per se but just not in the spirit. The people who really just dont want to be there. In a place like the world, a depressive sprit is quite infectious.

Mousemates
07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Stroller nazi's that have no respect for personal space, and seem blind to walking guests, especially children..

Need the guy from Seinfeld to catch them in the act, wrench their big blue beast out of their hands and declare,"No stroller for you.":)

CU Tiger
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
During our first trip many years ago, the combination of being overwhelmed and the heat caused us to stress. Now that we are veterans, we know how to approach the parks and enjoy a stress free visit.:mickey:

bkfree
07-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Need the guy from Seinfeld to catch them in the act, wrench their big blue beast out of their hands and declare,"No stroller for you.":)

Yeah, where is that guy when you need him:number1:
I think in regard to the strollers, so no one thinks I am anti stroller was this, that kept happening at all the parks.
There would be 3 or 4 families together and each one had a double side by side stroller and they insisted on all walking side by side to chat. This essentially stopped traffic completely on paths and streets, and you literally could not get around them. ANd they were completely ignorant of the droves of people clumped up behind them.This began to really push my buttons. Especailly when they had to stop and ponder their next move.

bruin1344
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
long lines with boring queue, its annoying and waste of time

KAJUNKING
07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
i work way too much to go to the world and be stressed

Lizzie
07-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I had to say rude guests. We don't often stay for late shows just because of it. We always have the double stroller and we pick a path and go slow with the crowd but its amazing the people that rush sideways to cut if front of you. And sometimes you hit them and than they glare as they continue to cut more people off.

But a close second is grumpy family members. They can ruin a trip. But if I need to my family will leave the group and go off on our own even if it makes them mad.

GrmGrninGost
07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
I can stay home and be stressed for free! When I go to Disney the stress stays behind at work or home! WDW is my laughing place! :mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Another vote for rude guests!

I hate it when people hit me with their strollers or physically push me so that they can get ahead of me in line. That is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I don't go to Disney to come home with cuts and bruises.

laward32
07-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Mine was rude guests. I know several times on all three trips I encountered this more than anything. My biggest pet peeve it when a big family walks in a single line across the walkway. When we go there are usually 4 to 6 of us and we walk in pairs. That and people who don't walk over to the side of the walkway to look at their map. They stop right where they are and then look at you like you are crazy!
I think that is the only thing that really stresses me out. Everything else I can pretty much handle.:mickey:

disneyboundagain
07-21-2008, 11:14 PM
I am about as high strung as you can get. I stress all year about saving enough money for our vacation so that we can do whatever we want without worrying about money while we are in Florida. We have been lucky enough to go Universal, Sea World, and DW every year. BUT, from the minute I lock the front door of our house to leave for vacation, I am 100% stress free. Rude CM's, haven't found one yet. Some are just more pleasant than others. Rude people, I just don't care, more than anything I feel sorry for them.

I do think that there should be one more choice. DW gets pretty stressed about the day we have to leave.

Needless to say, I voted that I don't get stressed.

ryca1dreams
07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
i work way too much to go to the world and be stressed

Yeah. If I come to Disney World and get stressed, I have issues. :cool:

stephntampa
07-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Mine was rude guests. I know several times on all three trips I encountered this more than anything. My biggest pet peeve it when a big family walks in a single line across the walkway. When we go there are usually 4 to 6 of us and we walk in pairs. That and people who don't walk over to the side of the walkway to look at their map. They stop right where they are and then look at you like you are crazy!
I think that is the only thing that really stresses me out. Everything else I can pretty much handle.:mickey:

My BIGGEST pet peeve is when people stop in the middle of the walkway to chat, look at the map, etc.. UGH.. maybe there should be a guidebook for theme park etiquette!

Kenny1113
07-22-2008, 07:39 AM
I don't get stressed, but I hate going through the main entrance of MK, where I see all the other people getting stressed. Pepole kind of standing around blocking walkways, families fighting,etc.

Spaceship Tigger
07-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Rude guests don't particularly bother me. I find it amazing that people can still act that way while on vacation, but whatever. I get stressed out at the thought of burning the day standing in lines, but I don't want to micro-manage our day either. So I just hope every day that the parks aren't too crowded and that we get in the gates early enough to avoid the big lines.

dolphinmickey9170
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
It would have to be cranky family members...Nothing brings you back to reality more that a meltdown in front of thousands of stangers...:thumbsup:

You are so right about that...my 13 yo DD (at the time) had a melt down in front of everyone in the seating area of IJ.....I was so embarassed. :blush:

However, I still chose those rude guests....I just can't tolerate them. If you aren't happy at WDW, the go home.

italiangrl.08
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
No doubt cranky family members ruin the day! Think about it, they are the one thing you can't controll. You can decide how much money you spend, you can leave a long line, and you can leave the area where rude guests or castmembers are, BUT your family has to be with you!!! So to have them cranky usally sets of a few others! It usally happens something like this:
:nono:, :confused: , and then :blowup: -:sob:

Then you just want to say ":spoiler:"

Simbajr4ever
07-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I voted for rude guest. As for rude cast members, I am encountered a few snarky comments but nothing forward. If you ignore it, or pretend you didn't hear it, they drop it. I won't engage.
$$ we expect to pay alot, know prices going in, so not a problem.
As for guest. A few come to mind: The large 20ish guy in Test track SINGLE RIDER line, who tried to line cut "to get to his friend". Or the 2 mothers arguing in the que at Pirates or Parita to see who got there first. But I especially enjoyed last summers trip when I was disabled in a boot using a evc for a medical reason. I won't even go there, but I can see why the stroller bergade are they way they are.:-o

Nut4DW
07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I had to say rude guests - we've encountered a few on our trips to the World. Those people who think they are the only ones who matter drive me crazy. Once while in line at R&RC a lady completely emptied her backpack on the floor - when the line moved she shuffled it forward. Then she began to open containers that were in the backpack - and when the line moved again, she just sat there on the floor holding us all up. I waited as long as I could, but I finally just went around her. I guess she thought I was the rude one cause she glared at me for the rest of the time we were in line. I just feel like being considerate of others doesn't take that much effort and it makes everyone's trip magical.

dteed
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Zero stress @ WDW. The only thing that may cause DW stress would be rude guests.

dixielandings
07-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Oh, the people! Be nice, folks! Please...

The only time I get stressed out (other than when I, DH, or both of us are hungry and we don't have an eating plan, which is rare) is when I have to witness or deal personally with common indecency. Is it that hard to be courteous? Everyone is paying the same amount of money to be there - which is a lot for most of us - and it bugs me to no end to see people trying to take advantage of the system or the service, mowing people over with their strollers and other wheeled vehicles, stopping in the middle (!) - which is as we know, UN-American - and generally being rude to each other, CMs, and other guests.

:soapbox: Ok - I'm done. Except for one last plea - be nice, folks. And let's all try and help each other have a good time out there!

RALPH
07-23-2008, 07:41 AM
"I had to go with cranky family members! Nothing ruins a perfectly nice afternoon at WDW like a good ol' family spat about what to do next, who's getting on who's nerves, etc."

This said it perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jszczur5
07-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Wow - this one was so easy: Rude Guests. I don't understand why my family of four has to walk single file in a line while other families of the same size walk abreast, and plow right into me. My husband decided last year that he was no longer going to step aside for rude people walking four or five across. He just let them bump into him. At 6' 8", 260 lbs, let me tell you that he wasn't the one who got the worst of it. If you see this normally friendly giant (wearing a Carolina t-shirt no doubt) this summer, don't expect him to move for your rude family - 'cause he ain't gonna anymore.

CraniumCommando
07-23-2008, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, it is rude guests. Although one thing that really causes me stress is when Disney does nothing to stop the rude behavior. It seems that the Disney attitude is to extend the magic to everyone, including those who are rude. Which really makes it worse for people who do the right thing, which is 99% of the people there. I have written Disney several times, but the response is always the same, they sympathize with my plight but are unwilling to do mcuh about it. :thedolls:

OK, enough ranting :D

DisneyCouture
07-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Rude guests! We have encountered many rude ppl on our vacations to WDW. From ppl who push in a line, to ppl who don't watch their kids and they run right into u with out an excuse me, to ppl who stand right in front of small children who have been waiting a good hour for a parade to start. That is pretty it in a nutshell. lol.

amd780
07-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I picked waiting in long lines. Actually, it's more like walking up to my favorite attraction, seeing that the posted wait time is ridiculous, and realizing that there's no way I'd want to wait in that line. Luckily though, this doesn't happen too often, because DH and I only go in January. :mickey:

PopDivaPaige
07-24-2008, 12:10 AM
I never had any bad service or rude cast members, so that can't bother me:mickey:. I also never met any rude guests or had very long lines. If I had long lines, I didn't mind because I would look at the stuff around the line (like the posters in Rock N' Rollercoaster). Mine would have to be cranky family members. If they didn't get enough sleep or are in a bad mood (which is highly unlikely at disney!), then I really get stressed out and annoyed. But that is very rare in my vacations. Disney seems to have the magic touch if they can unstress me, the queen of most stressed out and short tempered people in the entire planet!

Kisobel
07-24-2008, 03:41 AM
mostly other guests who think they deserve to cut ahead. sometime though my husband pushes my buttons and we need to take a break from each other.

kate

MickeysEars
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
I know everyone has a bad day, but i am ther for an experience and I drives me batty when a cast members is less then "magical"

Aggie97
07-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I voted for rude guests, in particular people who take flash photos or send text messages on brightly lit cell phones throughout dark rides/shows.... :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
07-25-2008, 09:59 AM
The thing that stresses me the most isn't just the long lines but big crowd levels in general because I know that DH hates it when it is really crowded. I just ignore the rude guests so as long as there are fewer people I don't mind if some are rude.

DisneyOtaku
07-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Rude guests for me. I personally haven't meta rude CM, and to be perfectly honest, I would tend to give them a little slack. Everyone has an off day, especially at work, and seeing the things they have to deal with, I can easily forgive it.

Rude guests, however, really bug me. Disney should be magical for EVERYONE. Everyone needs to wait their turn and be respectful to others. I think the worst is when adults run over children in lines and at parades.

Aurora's Spindle
07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
Rude guests are a definite for me, but I cranky family members can push my buttons too. The last time I was at WDW, I was with my parents and my aunt, and all I wanted was to see Fantasmic ...

Can't really recall the argument itself, but my mum flipped on my aunt and dad, and I ended up watching Fantasmic alone ... though I did, as always, thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

Disney Yankee
07-25-2008, 09:12 PM
Just like at home...rude people who think they are the only ones on the whole world. Even in the most magical place in the world people forget their manners!:mickey:

Arnold Simba
07-25-2008, 10:51 PM
I would have to say what spoils my time at WDW are crying children/babies. It's like a curse: it never fails that if I'm on a ride, waiting for a ride, waiting in line at a food vendor, seated at a secluded table in a restaurant, riding the monorail, riding the Ferryboat, taking the tram, riding a Disney bus, even Christmas shopping - crying babies follow me like a magnet. I wish parents would wait until their child reached an age where they could honestly enjoy DisneyWorld and Mickey Mouse. I've seen so many crying children who are NOT happy, have no idea what that Big Mousey Thing is, who are basically being dragged around DisneyWorld because Mom and Dad want to be there.

I remember in May 1985 my cousin and I visited DisneyWorld. We had a great time, but "my curse" struck - the crying babies followed us everywhere. My cousin laughed at it at first, but as time passed, even he became a bit annoyed. At the end of our trip, as we were driving home, my cousin said to me, "Someday I'm going to bring my wife and kids to DisneyWorld. But you can bet the ranch I won't do it until the kids are old enough to enjoy it." Well, 21 years later my cousin took his family, including his 7 and 5 year old sons down to DisneyWorld in 2006. And even though the kids had their moments when they got cranky (because of the heat), my cousin said they had the greatest time of their lives.

GoBlueLacheta
07-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Rude Guests,

But this one time a CM told my little brother to close his map and my brother then told him "its my dream to have my map open."

TikiGoddess
07-27-2008, 07:42 PM
I didn't answer the poll, as pretty much none of those stress me out. The only thing that stresses me out is when my family won't get moving fast enough in the morning. I can't get to the park early enough! When we do the Crystal Palace breakfast (ADR usually around 8:05), I so want us out of there before the park officially opens. (Last trip we finished at about 8:50am, went to the Castle, and was one of the first families on Dumbo. Bliss!!)

My husband understands my commando nature and I do try slow, deep breathing in the mornings. :D But watch out for me in the morning, especially if I'm pushing a stroller. :D

TikiG

homeschool mom
07-28-2008, 10:34 AM
I had to vote "rude guests", but the thing that really gets me stressed is when I'm up and ready to go in the morning and DH and DSs are slowly waking up. I'm an early riser even on vacation and DH wants to sleep in because he's on vacation! That drives me nuts. Next trip, DDs and I are leaving them in our dust and meeting them in the park later. :mickey:

KAT1811
07-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Nothing gets me stressed when I am in WDW. I go to WDW because when we are there the rest of the world and all of it's stress melts away. It's like being swept away on a comet for a couple of weeks.

I refuse to let people ruin my vacation, I like to think that we all have our moments and WDW can be stressful for some families. We try to turn a blind eye and chalk it up to the heat or the crowds. Too much good to let the bad cloud an otherwise fabulous day.