PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a replacement for the Disney Magazine.

caryrae
07-20-2008, 09:56 AM
:DFrom wikipedia, the last paragraph was interesting. I know I am signing up.

The magazine began life as the Disney News at the end of 1965. The first issue was sixteen pages long, and the cover showed Walt Disney surrounded by several costumed characters in front of Disneyland's Sleeping Beauty Castle. The magazine was initially a free benefit for members of the Magic Kingdom Club but later started charging a cover price (discounted for members).

The publication changed its name to the Disney Magazine in 1994 to better reflect the increased size and content of the magazine. When Disney shuttered the Magic Kingdom Club in 2003, the magazine continued, but circulation numbers began dropping.

In 2005 publication ceased abruptly, with subscribers able to change their subscriptions to either FamilyFun or Disney Adventures, or taking a refund. The Magazine's website says that the end was due to an increase of people choosing to find information on the Internet, and thus lack of readership.

In 2007, a new magazine called Orlando Attractions Magazine launched in response to many fans missing Disney Magazine. This new publication claims to pick up where Disney Magazine left off in both style and content. In addition to covering Disney-related topics, Orlando Attractions Magazine also covers Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando, and all other attractions local to the Orlando-area, branching out as far as Tampa's Busch Gardens.

From the orlando attrations magazine webpage.

A new issue of Orlando Attractions Magazine is released six times a year, each filled with an exciting new look at Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, SeaWorld, and all other Orlando-area attractions. Our first four issues include articles featuring Epcot's 25th Anniversary, Animal Kingdom's 10th Anniversary, SeaWorld's Aquatica, The Simpsons Ride, Toy Story Mania, Jungala at Busch Gardens, and more!

You can still buy 3 of the 1st 4 back issues but the very 1st issue is sold out.

WDW&MK
07-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Oooo!!! Thanks so much for the info. I was a subscriber to Disney Magazine and was soooo mad when it was discontinued. I think they did such a poor job of advertising it that many big Disney fans didn't know it existed. I wouldn't have known about it except that a coworker showed it to me. I'd never seen it in the parks or at the resorts. I had just introduced another disney fan to it right before it ended. She was shocked that she had not known about it.
So, if this is as good a magazine... we'll all have to spread the word :thumbsup:

MMouse6937
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I have subscribed to this magazine and it's great. Also just announced is Lou Mongello from the WDW Radio podcast is releasing a new magazine just about Disney. I'm looking forward to that too!

caryrae
07-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Got my back issues of the Orlando Attractions Magazine today and they are great. They mostly have info about the 3 major parks in orlando WDW, Universal and Sea World. Seems to have more info on WDW. I highly highly recommend this magazine. I like how they have info on all the parks in the Orlando area, nice to see whats new and going on in all the Parks. It is a very new magazine just came out the end of last year. Disney fans will love it. They even have the readers little stories on the 1st few pages like the Disney Magazine had.