PDA

View Full Version : What to "Upgrade" on GMR?

Arnold Simba
07-19-2008, 01:41 PM
What to "upgrade" on GMR? Tough question. I'm partial to the old "Golden Age" (B&W) of movies. Yet my niece and nephew, who are in their early 20's, don't relate to anything pre-Indiana Jones except for "The Wizard Of Oz". Here's my list of what to "upgrade" (meaning replace), and what to "Keep":

"Upgrade": Busby Berkeley dancers (the thing never rotates), Gene Kelly segment, Western shootout segment, Alien segment, Tarzan segment, Fantasia tunnel, ending clips of movies.

"Keep": Mary Poppins, James Cagney, Gangster shootout, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Indiana Jones (maybe add Sean Connery and replace it with a scene from "Indy Jones & The Last Crusade"), Temple Jewel robbery segment, ancient mummies, Casablanca, Wizard Of Oz.

RedHead
07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
What to "upgrade" on GMR? Tough question. I'm partial to the old "Golden Age" (B&W) of movies. Yet my niece and nephew, who are in their early 20's, don't relate to anything pre-Indiana Jones except for "The Wizard Of Oz".

Perhaps you could use GMR as a great stepping stone to show your young-adult niece and nephew some "classic" films that they may find incredible and memorable - like "Singing in the Rain," "Brigadoon," "South Pacific," "Stagecoach," "The Shootist," "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance," "42nd Street," Johnny Weissmuller's "Tarzan," as well as films like the Road films of Hope/Crosby, "The African Queen," "Miracle on 42nd Street," "101 Dalmations," :mickey: "Arsenic and Old Lace," "Philadelphia Story," Hitchcock's "North by Northwest," Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood," and Bogart's "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

As to the ending clips - it's a geat tribute to the wonder that Hollywood has created in the last century - not just the bang and thrill in the last few decades. Hollywood and the movies have a great history, one well worth appreciating. :beer:

Imagineer1981
07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I actually like the idea of GMR being more general. While I love the indy scene and Mary poppins, I think the ride works better with the mixed areas like the begining scenes/gangster/western...

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry.

I'm 23, meaning the same age as your niece and nephew. I absolutely love the early segments, especially the one Gene Kelly.

Did you know, on the day he filmed that scene, he had a fever of 105 degrees?

If anything, they should update the technology, not the films portrayed.

I agree that maybe showing your niece and nephew some of the classics might broaden their horizons a bit? There's nothing I find more amazing than old classical films.

But then again, everyone I know says I was born in the wrong time period. I'd have a PT Cruiser with the full retro look and have my hair done up as a pin-up girls if it wasn't for time and money.

Polynesian Dweller
07-21-2008, 03:37 PM
I tend to agree with Jessica that the biggest thing needing upgrade is the technology. newer technology could make many of the very static scenes come to life better, including Tarzan and Gene Kelly. The Busby Berkely dancers could be animated and the cake move. In general. more animatronics throughout could bring life to these classics and classics is what the ride is about.

Stich8818
07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I tend to agree with Jessica that the biggest thing needing upgrade is the technology. newer technology could make many of the very static scenes come to life better, including Tarzan and Gene Kelly. The Busby Berkely dancers could be animated and the cake move. In general. more animatronics throughout could bring life to these classics and classics is what the ride is about.

I think that the ride is just fine the way it is. It just needs to have some TLC done to it. The last time I was there in Oct is was still a great ride it just looked like the AA were "unfluid" ver herky jerky..I think it's fine the way it is...I guess the update I would like to see would be the return of were the cowboy/cowgril takes over the car not jsut the gangster.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
The cowboy still takes over. There are two loading bays, the first one is the one that gets the cowboy, the second gets the gangster.

Usually, when it's slower, they only use the second one. If you wanted, request the cowboy and they should let you go get it.

Arnold Simba
07-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm sorry.

I'm 23, meaning the same age as your niece and nephew. I absolutely love the early segments, especially the one Gene Kelly.

Did you know, on the day he filmed that scene, he had a fever of 105 degrees?

If anything, they should update the technology, not the films portrayed.

I agree that maybe showing your niece and nephew some of the classics might broaden their horizons a bit? There's nothing I find more amazing than old classical films.

But then again, everyone I know says I was born in the wrong time period. I'd have a PT Cruiser with the full retro look and have my hair done up as a pin-up girls if it wasn't for time and money.

I give you two thumbs up :thumbsup::thumbsup: for your love of classic B&W movies! Unfortunately, my niece and nephew look at old B&W movies as "dull stuff they did with limited technology before cool color movies with computer technology came out." lol I don't think I can convert them. lol

I can wholeheartedly relate to your feeling of being born-out-of-time. I used to say to my parents that I should have been born around 1918, so I could have grown up during the 30's and 40's. Mom reminded me that there was such a thing called "The Depression". However, the films (love Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, and most Cary Grant films), the fashion for men (cool looking suits, even cooler looking fedoras), and the way women looked back then hold a special place in my heart. When my niece and nephew ask who in the movies I think is hot, I respond, "Most definitely Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Ava Gardner, and Veronica Lake." They say, "No no no - more recently, not the old days." Then I say, "Olivia Hussey & Julie Newmar" (both of whom I've actually met :blush:)

If they ever did replacements, they should put in the Cary Grant/Eva Marie Saint scene where they are dangling from Mount Rushmore in "North By Northwest", with the evil Martin Landau stepping on Cary's hand.

WDWFREAK101
07-22-2008, 01:25 AM
I think the ride should stay the same but if I had to add some new things, I would add, Jurrasic Park, Back To The Future, Die Hard (That one might be a little hard to do based on the content) and The Karate Kid. WAY too many times I keep hearing kids want to watch the new stupid parody movies or some stupid garbage that Hollywood keeps releasing every week rather then watch the classic films. For Instance, my friend's son would rather watch Epic Movie (How sad) then Back To The Future. Why must all these classic films be shoved aside to make way for these TERRIBLE TERRIBLE films?!?!? I understand if the movie isn't out to change the world and to just waste an hour or 2 but why must every 2 months we are released with another parody movie or another asian horror movie? Whatever happened to films like Indianna Jones or BTTF or Karate Kid or Die Hard?

DDuck66
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
I think that the ride is just fine the way it is. It just needs to have some TLC done to it. The last time I was there in Oct is was still a great ride it just looked like the AA were "unfluid" ver herky jerky..I think it's fine the way it is...I guess the update I would like to see would be the return of were the cowboy/cowgril takes over the car not jsut the gangster.

We actually had the cowgirl take over when we were at DHS for the Toy Story Mania preview. After being so used to the gangster it was a pleasent change. I agree that the ride needs a general rehab and some TLC, but I to love many of the classics and the way the ride flows through the time periods.

Guya103
07-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I think that the National Treasure movies would be great additions to GMR. The scenes could portray action scenes with landmarks.

I love GMR but truly feel it needs a complete overhaul. The classics are great but I would like to seen modern day classics represented. After riding it over fifty times and just about memorizing all of the dialogue, our family feels it is time for change!:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I think the ride should stay the same but if I had to add some new things, I would add, Jurrasic Park, Back To The Future, Die Hard (That one might be a little hard to do based on the content) and The Karate Kid. WAY too many times I keep hearing kids want to watch the new stupid parody movies or some stupid garbage that Hollywood keeps releasing every week rather then watch the classic films.

Jurassic Park and Back to the Future are both Universal properties and are represented at the parks.

As for the comment of limited technology, if your niece and nephew actually watched the movies they would find that what they did considering the 'limited technology' was quite amazing and spectacular. Take for instance just about any scene from GWTW. And most dance musicals were simply wonderful and that kind of talent doesn't exist anymore. Today's actors are of a lower caliber than those of the past, with limited versatility.

And trust me, I completely love a lot of modern actors such as Johnny Depp (see screen name), but the ones who get my higher respect are the ones who end up paying homage to those of the past with a taste of the talents of past such as Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane (for their wonderful Broadway performances in several shows).

Or they can visit Universal if they want more films that relate to their tastes.

bruin1344
07-22-2008, 01:18 PM
the attraction should add some new movies and change the show around a bit, i feel the cast members arent into it much anymore and its going through the motions

Disney Doll
07-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I love that the GMR features classic movies. I think that to even be considered a great movie it has to be something that will stand the test of time. I would hate to seem them get rid of the classics for a few flavors of the month. I don't necessarily think it's an age thing. I wasn't around when some of these classic movies first came out, but I do appreciate being able to see the history and enjoy some of the famous scenes.