PDA

View Full Version : Does Magic Kingdom have that Disneyland "smell"?

Canadiana Jones
07-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Hey all! As a WDW newbie (Honeymoon in 8 days woohoo!) I was wondering if the bigger and younger sister of our beloved Disneyland has that unique old smell to it (may sound weird but I just love the old musty smell of Disneyland). Walking through the tunnel at DL and having that smell hit you is one of our favorite things in the world (again, I know it sounds weird but we all have our little things that speak to us). If anyone has any words of advice for a 3 week first time stay, feel free to comment. You all have helped the time fly by with your endless wealth of knowledge, tips, and wonderful posts. Thanks! :mickey:

#1disneyfan
07-19-2008, 12:19 AM
Well first let me say WELCOME to Intercot!

Secondly, congrats on your upcoming nuptials and honeymoon. Can't think of a better place to spend a 3 week honeymoon!

Take your time and relax. Enjoy all of it, it will come to and end far to quickly.

Also, while I can't compare WDW to DL, since I have never been to DL, WDW most definitely has a smell to it. I wouldn't say musty, but definitely has a wonderful aroma as you walk down Main Street in MK.

Have a great time and make sure you write a trip report when you return!

Canadiana Jones
07-19-2008, 12:36 AM
Thank you for all your wishes and we will be sure to write a trip report! I can't believe that I check this site almost every day and this was my first post :confused:

CaptSmee
07-19-2008, 01:56 AM
Well, i've never been to DL either. But there is no distinctive smell when you enter WDW. Now on the Monorail however, that's another story...:thedolls:

CaptSmee
07-19-2008, 02:00 AM
...and congrats on the nuptials! And WOW! 3 weeks at WDW! That's crazy! I don't know what i'd do with myself with that much time spent there. Are you planning time away from Disney as well? Sea World is lots of fun, and you could certainly hit up Universal Orlando and maybe even the Kennedy Space Center.

Our last trip to WDW we were chatting with a couple on the bus that was telling us how much better TOT, Haunted Mansion, Snow White, and some other rides were than what they were used to at DL. I thought it was interesting because we've never been to DL. They did rub it in our faces though that POC is much better on the west coast.

Someday i'll make the trek out west and have a comparison of the 2...:mickey:

Doug The Disney Man
07-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Congratulations!

I've never noticed any smell, except when at Animal Kingdom's Oasis (not bad, just-well the only word that comes to mind is "lush") and approaching Tower of Terror. It actually smells like no one has been to the abandoned hotel in 80 years!

What to do at WDW with 3 weeks? IDK...EVERYTHING!? A few suggestions though, visit Blizzard Beach a few times (Typhoon Lagoon once), ride Tower about 20 times, do all the little stuff the people who are only there for 1 week skip (Swiss Treehouse, Tom Sawyer Island, DisneyQuest at Downtown), and take the time to visit each country in Epcot and really talk to the people. I've met some amazing people that way.

Finally, I always have to suggest restaurants...
MK-Crystal Palace (Pooh Bear and puffed French toast-great way to start the day),
Contemporary-Chef Mickey's (huge buffet and a bunch of classic characters),
Studios-SciFi Dine In Theater (clips from old Bmovies and you eat in an old car),
Epcot-Pretty much every country especially Mexico and Canada. Italy and France are really romantic, too,
Grand Floridian-Any (expensive, but delicious and romantic).

Well, have fun and I'm guessing with all that time, you are also planning on visiting the other parks and attractions in Florida. So enjoy those, too. Unless you can think of something else to do on your honeymoon...oh. Well, um, I hope you have a nice room.

Vito
07-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Hey all! As a WDW newbie (Honeymoon in 8 days woohoo!) I was wondering if the bigger and younger sister of our beloved Disneyland has that unique old smell to it (may sound weird but I just love the old musty smell of Disneyland). Walking through the tunnel at DL and having that smell hit you is one of our favorite things in the world (again, I know it sounds weird but we all have our little things that speak to us). If anyone has any words of advice for a 3 week first time stay, feel free to comment.I've never really noticed the smell at DL outdoors. The only outdoor smells that remind me of DL are popcorn, food, candy, etc. Oh, and also the AWFUL smell near/behind PotC and in the part of the queue that winds by the side of the building on the left. YIKES.

The "musty" smell that you speak of - the one that I've only noticed inside some attractions, is present at WDW as well... Carousel of Progress has a smell, PotC, HM, Splash, Hall of Presidents and many of the dark rides. I'd say the smell is fairly similar to what you find at DL. American Adventure at Epcot is another one of those "old" smelling attractions.

I'm usually quick to pick up on smells but again, I've never really noticed any sort of dusty/musty smell walking underneath the Main St. RR station tunnel. Maybe I just never think about enough to notice!

And 3 weeks? NICE.

You all have helped the time fly by with your endless wealth of knowledge, tips, and wonderful posts. Thanks! :mickey:One of my favorite parts of waiting/planning a WDW trip is reading posts, asking questions, and just discussing here as the trip gets closer and closer! :D

mickey&missy
07-19-2008, 07:46 AM
First, :welcome: to intercot and congratulation on your upcoming wedding and magical honeymoon!!

I'ved never been to DL, someday... So I can't speak as to if WDW smells like DL. But, it suprises me that some many people said they've never noticed a smell at WDW. WDW smells wonderful! There are so many different smells. The popcorn, candy and sweet (they pipe an aroma out on to main street at the bakery) whatever it is that they put in the water. Etc, I have to agree with the poster that said some of the ride smell a bit musty. I've always thought it was just the effect of years of sweaty people passing through, yucky I'm sorry! The monorail does smell, but on our last trip we stayed at GF and took the monorail often, it didn't smell nearly as bad as it had in the past!

Have a wonderful trip! 3 weeks!! WOW!!

CAS
07-19-2008, 08:14 AM
WDW definitely has some smells that make it unique. I know the musty smell you're talking about but it's more inside the attractions, not outside. You can smell the age of the interiors and the effect humidity and moisture have had on them. The water-related attractions are stronger in scent.

WDW mustiness is something I've grown to love!:D

TheRustyScupper
07-19-2008, 08:26 AM
I get to DL about 4-times per year when I go to San Diego & Tijuana on business.
My personal opinion:

1) Disneyland park (which does not include CA) is superior to WDW Magic Kingdom.
. . . rides are better
. . . park has more of that "Disney feel"
. . . has more nostalgia
2) However, WDW as a whole id better than Disneyland.
. . . four parks vs 1¼ parks (CA doesn't count for much)
. . . huge acreage advantage to WDW
. . . isolated from surrounding area
3) So, I guess it is a mixed-bag
. . . the individual MK park comparison favors DL
. . . the total experience favors WDW

andreallybadeggs
07-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Agree with Rusty. I love the first, the original park. (Did Calif Adv last trip to CA and was less impressed but then I'm a geezer so I go for nostalgia.) I also loved the DL POTC and the Peter Pan portion of Fantasmic (which in WDW is not in the MK but the Studios) Fireworks-- thought the DL ones were great and again-- here's that word-- nostalgic--but Wishes! is fabulous and always makes me cry. Smells, well, not my area of expertise but if you're sensitive to that you'll certainly notice lots of them in the World. Overall, as Rusty points out, WDW wins for sheer volume and huge variety of activities. Try to have at least one meal in the castle-- it may or may not be you're favorite but it is, after all, THE castle.
If you get homesick, head to EPCOT and catch a fast pass for Soarin!
Congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon.:mickey:

Canadiana Jones
07-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the wishes, welcomes, and tips. Yes we are planning on doing everything we can including Universal, Sea World, Discovery Cove, Kennedy, Shopping, Resort Touring, and maybe even a Tampa Bay Rays Game (even though I'm a Blue Jays fan and she is part of the dark side - Red Sox Nation). About the smell - for those visiting Disneyland, the smell is most evident in the morning and is best represented by walking through the Bank just as you walk through the right tunnel (yes we are a little nuts). Thanks again, and if you see a heavily sniffing Canadian wearing a Mark Messier, Edmonton Oilers Jersey, be sure to say hello!

johnO
07-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey don't feel bad you're not the only one...Our sense of smell is a powerful memory trigger. We relate memories with smells for some reason. It's like that for me though I'll smell something and suddenly I'll recall an event or a place. It's normal. You obviously enjoy your time at DL so it's no wonder that you associate that aroma with the park. WDW definitly has unique aromas. I havent been to DL in a long time and perhaps that memory of it's odors have faded for me so I can't compare. You'll love WDW.......

:mickey:

Marceline
07-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I don't know the DL smell...will sniff it for the first time next year. :thumbsup: BUT there is a very musty smell that hits me at the Magic Kingdom, specifically in Frontierland and Adventureland. It is the smell of Florida humidity mingling with Disney genius to me. :cloud9:

I luuuuuurrrrrvve that smell. :D

Vito
07-20-2008, 04:35 AM
Somewhat related, but all this talk of smells reminded me..

Splash Mountain has a very distinctive smell. It's a bit due to the chlorinated water (a bit of that swimming pool smell) but there's a distint and different element to it - I think it comes from all the air conditioning vents blowing on you during the ride, especially the arcitc freeze blower at the very end before you unload.

Anyway, since we would always drive to WDW, I noticed that the air conditioning in our car would smell JUST like Splash Mountain. I first noticed it on the way home after our first trip, and it made me so sad!! Subsequently, whenver we'd drive somewhere with the air conditioning on in the car, I'd be reminded strongly of Splash, and closing my eyes I could almost imagine I was on the ride.

That smell and connection has stayed with me for years, but I've never found a car air conditioning that smelled quite like Splash Mountain since that first one.

VolMickey
07-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Never noticed one...

castlelady36
07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
Congrats on the wedding and your trip!! I do think there is a smell. One of the many reasons main street is one of my favorite places to be!! And there is the water smell on ride such as POTC and IASM. Can't explain it but it is for sure there. There are times when I am shopping or something where a smell will hit me and I am instantly reminded or WDW so yes I think there is a smell and the best in the world if you ask me!!!:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey:

Mousemates
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
No, I dont think DW has the same smell or quaintness of feel of DL...mainly because it's a little more spread out. We made our first trip to DL in 2007 and absolutely loved it...it just felt very warm and homey (even thou we had never been there).

WDW, while an absoultely wonderful place that is certainly magical in its own right, falls a bit short of its older and smaller sister in this one particular regard...but you will love it too when you visit and have a great time as you work your way through the attractions...hope our east coast version of POTC doesn't disappoint you though---if it does our splash mountain will more than make up for it.

Imagineer1981
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Well, i've never been to DL either. But there is no distinctive smell when you enter WDW. Now on the Monorail however, that's another story...:thedolls:

ugh...nothing worse than the monorail at 11 at night in the middle of August when they are packed...talk about a smell:sick:

mattandmandy
07-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I definately think WDW has wonderful smells. Especially as others have mentioned some of the rides and Main St. USA. Even watching it on tv or seeing pictures bring back those yummy aromas of the confectionery!!