PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to AKL- Talk to me about it.

bkfree
07-18-2008, 01:47 PM
We just upgraded from the POFQ to AKL for our Dec. trip. SInce we could do it for just $400 more for the week, we decided to go for it.
It will also be our first Christmas trip.
Last trip we stayed at YC and loved it but wanted to try something different.
We were very excited about POFQ, but Pop Warner that week sorta made us gun shy and the chance upgrade for so little money was an offer we just could not refuse.

Ironically, the first night we arrive, we already have an ADR at BOMA, so that was sorta serendipity.:cool:
I really know nothing about AKl. It will be me , Dh and two kiddos ages 7 and 9. We will have a standard view room.
So will the AKL lovers give me your top 5 things not to miss or top 5 favorites about AKL or top tips when staying there in regard to food, entertainment, buses, etc.
Thanks!

RedSoxFan
07-18-2008, 02:38 PM
You will love AKL.
We went at Christmas time 3 years ago. Very nicely decorated. Take time to look at the lobby. So awesome. The gift shop is great too -- lots of neat stuff in there. BOMA -- you'll love it. Even my picky kids loved it. The busses were great. Hardly ever a wait and you didn't have to share with other resorts. We had pool view rooms. We would walk around the grounds to see the animals every morning with our coffee. Enjoy.

NLODisney
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
We have stayed here three times in concierge level. We have always had a savannah view room but there are a lot of viewing areas to see the animals. We always spend time walking around the resort and there is a lot to see. We have found a great place to see some animals is to go out on the stairwell at the end of the resort and there are usually lots to see. The pool is nice with zero entry and a small slide that kids have fun on. You can go out in the evening after dark and find a CM with a night vision goggle to view animals with. There is also story telling in the evening. We like eating at Jiko but my family didn't really care for Boma but most people do like it. The buses come quickly here we never waited more than 5 minutes and they usually weren't crowded. The gift shop has a nice selection of unique and unusual things and we always spend time looking around.There was a parade in the afternoon for younger kids and there were other activities offered for kids also. There is a schedule that you can check to see if there is something you would be interested in doing. I can't wait to get back there hope you have a great trip.

Stickey
07-18-2008, 04:35 PM
The AKL is a great resort.

To see the animals without a savannah room:

1) Watch(outside) from the Arusha Rock viewing area.
Talk to the CM, usually from an African country. Also, return at night to watch the animals with night vision binoculars.
2) Utilize the viewing areas throughout the hallways of the AKL.

The gift shop carries unique products from Africa.

Go to Jiko if you want a fine dining experience. The filet is excellent.

Bus service is not shared with other resorts.

Tinkerbellfan
07-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge is a wonderful resort.

Here are my recommendations:

1.) Spend time roaming around the lobby and the various Savannah viewing areas.

2.) Dine at Jikos. The Filet with Mac & Cheese is wonderful. And, they have a great african wine selection.

3.) Reserve some time to enjoy the pool area or if it is cold - the hot tubs at night.

4.) It might be cold out - enjoy the outside fire pit!

5.) Make sure you use the night-vision binoculars - it is really an interesting experience!

Enjoy your trip. We had our first Christmas time trip to WDW last December. It truly is a magical place around the holiday season!

baldburke
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
We also enjoyed AKL @ Xmas. The themeing of the resort was great, the animals were fun and the pool was good with the previously mentioned zero level entry. My wife and I would often wake up ahead of the kids and enjoyed being able to sit of the balcony and watch the animals. My only suggestion would be to ask for a room close to the lobby but not right on the lobby. If you are on the fringes it can be quite a walk to the bus. Good luck!