PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bayou

LittleSpirit02
07-18-2008, 01:12 PM
My family has just made a reservation for the Blue Bayou and I would love to hear opinions of it! We weren't able to eat there on our last trip (which was my first time to DL) so I'm excited to be going there this trip. Also, if anyone could help guide me to their menu or food photos I'd appreciate it. :D

MegaDisney
07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
I have always enjoyed the Blue Bayou.

The Monte Cristo is great, but only served at lunch since the menu overhaul.

I have always thought they had great Prime Rib.

Honestly, I have not been since the redo of the menu.

If you have never been the Blue Bayou is a must do, but there are some opinions that the restaurant is not as good as it used to be.

My feeling is that if you have not dined there you should definitely try it out and decide for yourself.

BklynChick
07-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Blue Bayou is one of those places you go to as much for the experience as for the food. I agree, the previous menu had a better salad option, and I miss the shrimp dish they had. However, the dessert more than made up for it! Be sure to save room (I recommend the Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat) and if you're lucky, you'll get a waterside seat like we did on our last trip.

teamblackwell
07-19-2008, 02:25 AM
Do yourself a favor and tell the hostess that you'll wait for water-front seating. IMHO you get ; A+ level service, A+ level ambience, and C level food. If you go in with that mindset; that your paying $25-$45/person for service and ambience and $0 for food, you won't be dissappointed. I've eatten there 4 times and have been dissapointed with the food all 4 times. But, hanging out inside the POTC makes it all worth it. Its a "must do" experience. The last time I ate there was about 3 months ago.

Vito
07-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Do yourself a favor and tell the hostess that you'll wait for water-front seating. IMHO you get ; A+ level service, A+ level ambience, and C level food. If you go in with that mindset; that your paying $25-$45/person for service and ambience and $0 for food, you won't be dissappointed. I've eatten there 4 times and have been dissapointed with the food all 4 times. But, hanging out inside the POTC makes it all worth it. Its a "must do" experience. The last time I ate there was about 3 months ago.I agree with all that pretty much. I've only been once, but the best part was a waterfront seat.

If possible, go when it's a bit darker outside to help with the illusion. During mid-day bright days, there's a bit of light spillage from the PotC entrance as well as from the BB entrance, which can ever so slightly take away from the atmosphere. Definitely try and get a water-side seat!

It's kinda pricey (most table service Disney restaurants are), and I didn't find the food to be anything that's different from anywhere else at DL (some of the counter service places in NOS probably offer equivalent-quality food, imo - the French Market has a few very nice, well priced offerings, and one of my fav downtown Disney counter service places is the Jazz Kitchen Express - free soda refills and AWESOME po-boys) BUT Blue Bayou is a fun/different experience that you can't really find anywhere else.

If you're looking to save a bit of money you could get a split plate ($5) and maybe order an appetizer. It would allow you to enjoy your dinner in the nice BB atmosphere and then get a soup bowl or something later on and not break your wallet ;)

Here's the dinner menu:

Dinner Menu

Appetizers
Isla Cruces Crab Cakes - $11.99
Gulf-Stream Jumbo Shrimp Remoulade - $9.99

Entrees
Buccaneer's Beef Short Ribs - $26.99
Royal Street Seafood Jambalaya - $25.99
Alaskan King Crab Legs - $34.99
Five-Pepper Roasted Prime Rib of Beef - $29.99
Filet Mignon - $33.99
Port-Royal Mahi Mahi - $27.99
Tesora Island Chicken - $24.99
Portobello Mushroom and Couscous Maque Choux - $24.99
Molasses-Brined Bayou Pork Chop - $25.99
Cajun-Spiced Salmon - $26.99

Dessert - Each treasured treat comes with a "Pirates" booty keepsake!
Tortuga Trio of Creme Brulee - $7.99
The Key West, Key Lime - $7.99
Flying Dutchman Cookie Boat - $8.99
To commemorate your visit to the Blue Bayou, take home the Blue Bayou chocolate mint doubloons! - $4.99

Split Plate Charge - $4.99

Blue Bayou Child's Menu
Kid-Cut Prime Rib - $10.99
Mickey's Cheesey Macaroni - $6.99
PB&J Monte Cristo - $6.99
Citrus Chicken Drummettes - $6.99
* kid's meal includes one child beverage

LittleSpirit02
07-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Our reservation is for 3:40 (lunch seems to be a bit cheaper usually) on a Wednesday in August. How long do you think the wait would be for a water front seat?

teamblackwell
07-20-2008, 12:48 AM
plan for 45 minutes, could be an hour if the park is busy that day.

Aisling
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
The time you picked might not be that long of a wait, but definitely do the waterside seating.

Their mint juleps are really good, but very sweet. Also, I had pork chops with apples and stuffing and it was amazing. I'm not sure if it's still on the lunch menu.

seanyred
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Just one question about reservations at DL. The official DL guide book says you can only make reservations the day your going to eat at that resteraunt. Is the book wrong?

NotaGeek
07-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Just one question about reservations at DL. The official DL guide book says you can only make reservations the day your going to eat at that resteraunt. Is the book wrong?

Yes, the book is wrong. You can make Priority Seating reservations for restaurants at the Disneyland Resort 60 days in advance by calling (714) 781-3463.

Closet Disney Fan
07-22-2008, 11:47 PM
We are going for dinner at 620 and i have a reservation. do you think we should plan on 45 minutes wait for a waterside table? And after reading many posts about BB is it an overwhelming choice of the flying cookie boat for dessert because my girlfriend and i are quite the dessert aficionados and all of them sound so good ?!

goofy89
07-24-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm going to Disneyland at the end of August and I think we might want to make a reservation for this restaurant. I hope this isn't a silly question :blush:, but are you actually in POTC? Can you see the riders and boats pass by if you have a seat by the water?

NotaGeek
07-24-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm going to Disneyland at the end of August and I think we might want to make a reservation for this restaurant. I hope this isn't a silly question :blush:, but are you actually in POTC? Can you see the riders and boats pass by if you have a seat by the water?

Yes, you are right at the beginning of the ride and you can see the people in the boats ...

dixielandings
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Blue Bayou is a wonderfully unique Disneyland experience. IME, it's easier to get a waterside table if you make a reservation for the earliest seating in either the lunch or dinner serving. It's 11:30 for lunch, not sure what time for dinner. And I don't think I could go to BB knowing I couldn't get the Monte Cristo - it's out of this world. But truthfully, every meal we've had there has been excellent and I didn't find it to be lacking at all. Food is very subjective though.

goofy89
07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Blue Bayou is a wonderfully unique Disneyland experience. IME, it's easier to get a waterside table if you make a reservation for the earliest seating in either the lunch or dinner serving. It's 11:30 for lunch, not sure what time for dinner. And I don't think I could go to BB knowing I couldn't get the Monte Cristo - it's out of this world. But truthfully, every meal we've had there has been excellent and I didn't find it to be lacking at all. Food is very subjective though.

Thanks! We just made our reservation for a lunch at 11:30! :thumbsup: I can't wait to try this place out! Here's hoping for a waterside table :fingers:

scoot241
07-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Overall Blue Bayou is great. DW and I went for our honeymoon and had a really good time. The mint juleps are tasty, and the atmosphere is very nice.

The "gumbo" they serve is not that great though (had a sort of chili powder taste); that's the only complaint I had with the restaurant (and I'm from New Orleans, so I'm used to very good gumbo).

LittleSpirit02
07-27-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a question about splitting meals. I read a review someone had written about their experience doing this but it was back in 06 and I want to know if the same goes today.

They split an entree and the split charge fee (4 or 5 dollars?) covered a wedge salad for the two people splitting the meal. Then they both got portions of the entree (which based on their pictures were still heartiful).

Can one person splitting get gumbo and one get a salad or do you have to get 2 salads if you split?

Any other comments or suggestions?

We were thinking maybe the pork chops... :)