PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Experts - Help!

ctnmom
07-18-2008, 08:57 AM
My husband and I are racing in the Everest Challenge in Sept. I am new to running and have been training on a track. I am sure that there are some hills at the Animal Kingdom, but can anyone tell me about the general terrain at the park. Also, are the walkways made of concrete?

Wish me luck!

WDWdriver
07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
At the front of the park there is a gentle uphill climb from the turnstiles to the Tree of Life area, a distance of perhaps 70 yards. Otherwise, the only high terrain is the back areas of the park which includes portions of Kilimanjaro Safari and Kali River Rapids. It is unlikely that any of those areas will be included in the race layout, as they are either animal habitat or restricted areas. The roadways backstage are asphalt. The guest pathways are textured concrete, but the surface often contains minor indentations put there for theming purposes.

For the most part you will be running on fairly level pathways and roadways. Good luck!

WishingStar2006
07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Good Luck!

Yes, the walkways are made of concrete but it's not smooth..it's kinda bumpy to look like fossils and leaves, etc. were there.

It's not too hilly, but there are inclines and declines.

brewcrew26
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
I believe if you go to the Wide World of Sports website there's a map of the course. I'm also a new runner and waiting to see the course for the Princess run in March that my husband and I want to try.

Good luck!!

kdbianchini
07-18-2008, 11:29 AM
My dad has done the marathon twice and has said that Animal Kingdom was the worst to run in because the ground was so uneven. Be careful!