PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at buffets

Mickey91
07-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Just wondering what percent you guys think is fair for tipping at a buffet. Please don't let this get to be a debate as everyone has a different view. We are heading down in Sept. and with the DDP not including tip we are trying to figure how much souvenir money is going to this.:( We generally tip 20% for good service at a regular table service restaurant and it goes down from there. While the buffet wait staff have plates to take away, we have had the experience of not so great service. And, the bussers get the majority of the plates at the end. So, what do you guys think??

Seasonscraps
07-17-2008, 11:26 PM
We generally tip in the 18-20% range for good service. Less if the service is bad - no refills, slow to clear plates, etc. Luckily, we haven't really had an issue with that.

Here's a recent thread about this.
Tips at Buffets (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=137262)

lauter52
07-18-2008, 12:38 AM
We usually tip less at buffets since you get your own food, etc. Generally, between 10-15% unless the service is very good.

MinnieMommie
07-19-2008, 06:07 PM
generally 20%. Sometimes we get more help at the buffets - clearing and bringing new plates, new napkins, refilling drinks etc. That's alot of work and the wait staff deserve to be compensated IMO :mickey:

mom2morgan
07-19-2008, 07:43 PM
And, the bussers get the majority of the plates at the end. So, what do you guys think??
That shouldn't factor into it - in most establishments the waitresses have to give a portion of their tips to the bus-persons.

jszczur5
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Put me with the other cheapos in the 10% bracket. We usually only see the server to take our drink order, and occasionally bring us refills. Generally it's bus staff which remove the plates, after we have pre-scraped them and stacked them to get them out of the way.

DANAM
07-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Believe it or note I had envelopes for tips for ever place we where going. I factored in 18% for buffets but we actually had better service at buffets then some of the other places we went so I left 20%. Hollywood and Vine was one of them. The service was wonderful. We always had full drink, and never had a dirty plate on the table. I actually left and extra $5 on the table with a note for the cast member that stays with the characters.
My son is seroiusly afraid of them and my daughter adores them. This cast member made sure to advise ever character of the situation and because of it my son gave high fives to 2 of them and blow a kiss to one. I informed the manager that I left a note on the table but never said what it was because I was sure he would tell me that the cast member couldn't except tips. I figured if I already left he would let him have it.