PDA

View Full Version : Renting Boats at the Poly

Disney Maniac
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi Everyone!! Well we leave for WDW in two days and I have a quick question I need answered before I leave. Now, I know that you can rent the small boats, the mouse boats I think the are called:confused:, but what are the age restrictions on renting and driving one of these?? How old do you have to be to drive one by yourself without a adult in the boat or do you have to be an adult to drive alone?? Thanks for any help!!:mickey:

WishingStar2006
07-17-2008, 04:10 PM
18 years old and a licensed driver to drive alone. 16 years old and a licensed driver to drive with an adult in the boat with you.

A lot different than it used to be!!!!!

mickeefan
07-17-2008, 07:03 PM
You can also rent a Boston Whaler which is what we do. I can't get out of the little ones.
We tour all over and it is a lot of fun to do.

EPCOTGAL1
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
you DO NOT need a driver's license to drive them. My daughter 15 last year and 16 this year was able to take one out by herself and she does not have a license or permit. This was as recent as April 2008. :) We rented at the GF.

goofy89
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure what the rules are currently but I recall 2 years ago renting a boat at the Polynesian and being able to drive it when I was 17, but I had to give them my license. From what I remember you have to have a license because there is other boat traffic. However, I do remember being able to drive the boats at CSR w/o a license.

Disney Maniac
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks everyone!!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-18-2008, 07:25 AM
No drivers license is needed at all. We are big water mice fans and it is on the top of our list when staying at the Poly. We rent three. One for myself, one for my DH and 8yo DS, and one for my DD's. They are 14 and 12 now. The kids have to be measured, as you must be 5 feet tall to drive one, but the age is 12 or 13 to drive one, as long as you reach the height requirements. We do it all of the time.

Disney Maniac
07-18-2008, 01:16 PM
So 5 above feet tall and 12 years or older??

TammiMcMan
07-18-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm trying to confirm it now, but this is the policy I've seen at the Poly:

1. Drivers must possess a valid drivers license or

2. Be at least 12 years old, minimum 5' and have a 2nd passenger who holds a valid drivers license

It sounds like the policy may have changed, or maybe the CM's working the marina don't always enforce it. I'll post as soon as I get confirmation. Not sure if it will be in time for your trip though.

Mickey Magic
07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
:mickey:What if you're an adult who is less than 5 ft? I'm 4'10.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
:mickey:What if you're an adult who is less than 5 ft? I'm 4'10.:mickey:Booster seat or platform flip flops :D. Seriously, if you have a drivers license, you should be all set. I believe the height restriction is only for those 12 and up, who don't have a license, but still want to drive the boat.

LottaLubes
07-19-2008, 06:43 PM
I know they did have the license rule for awhile but I think they dropped it last November or so. My son was excited to finally be able to drive a water mouse this past December again(he is 16 and has his license now) and realized it was no longer a requirement...they went back to age 12.