PDA

View Full Version : Dad is a Diabetic

GeminiAngel
07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Please list your favorite Sugar-free treats around the world!!

disneymom15
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
In WS France, I had sugar free chocolate mousse, it was very good.

ToraTory
07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
As a diabetic, one of the coolest things that happened to me at WDW was at Spoodles. We went during free dining last year and it included desert. Everyone ordered fabulous yummy treats and I just assumed I’d be left out. I did the usual, “I guess you don’t have anything sugar free, right?” and much to my surprise the server went out of his way to accommodate me. He went to the shop next door and got me sugar-free cheesecake!! For the first time everyone at the table was jealous of my treat. I must admit I didn’t share, I happily ate the whole thing!

Another thing to remember is that diabetics also need to watch carbs and white flour, Disney is very accomodating in those areas as well. Disney is a magical place, in every sense of the word. :mickey:

GeminiAngel
07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Yep, he watches his carbs:thumbsup:
When I was looking at Allearsnet, I didn't see too many sugar free choices. He will be the only diabetic in our group, I didn't want Dad to be left out.:(

Mousse and cheesecake, good starts.
I also read the Plaza on Main St. makes sugar free milkshakes.

Jasper
07-17-2008, 05:14 PM
The key here is to just make your needs known to the servers at the restaurants at WDW and they will do everything they can to accommodate your father. Obviously they may not be able to accommodate every one of your requests but I know they will do what they can because my wife is severely diabetic and has always been able to find things to eat at WDW that are not on the normal menu. Please remember though that a sit down restaurant is far more likely to be able to accommodate your father than a counter service one.

ToraTory
07-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I take offense in this topic being moved from dining to "Guests with Special Needs". Unfortunately a growing segment of our population is becoming diabetic. Also alot of people are simply trying to eliminate sugar from their diet. So why then when someone asked about sugar free deserts at WDW was the topic moved to "Guest with Special Needs"? The dining topic is about food. In the dining catagory I have seen everything from:

where can I get a good steak
where's the best counter service
where's the best martini
But we can't ask where's the sugar free deserts? I am insulted by the insinuation that I am someone who requires special needs simply because I cannot have sugar.

GeminiAngel
07-18-2008, 11:25 AM
I take offense in this topic being moved from dining to "Guests with Special Needs".

Agreed!!! I didn't even notice this was moved! its about food. food=dining? at least I thought so. :confused:

MsMin
07-18-2008, 08:43 PM
As someone who works with people w/ special needs I don't always see it as a "bad" thing. I'm sorry you feel it's so negative. I do understand but remember that there are many things outside the norm that are great e.g. an above average I.Q. yes it's a deviation from the norm but not a bad one.
My dad is diabetic and I was very disappointed with the selections. We were on the DDP and many times he got a scoop of diabetic ice cream. Spoodles was one of the best.
I was really concerned about my dad's sugar levels b/c of all he ate but believe it or not he ran low most of the trip.
don't forget you can ask for a fridge for the insulin too if needed...

GeminiAngel
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
As someone who works with people w/ special needs I don't always see it as a "bad" thing. I'm sorry you feel it's so negative. I do understand but remember that there are many things outside the norm that are great e.g. an above average I.Q. yes it's a deviation from the norm but not a bad one.
My dad is diabetic and I was very disappointed with the selections. We were on the DDP and many times he got a scoop of diabetic ice cream. Spoodles was one of the best.
I was really concerned about my dad's sugar levels b/c of all he ate but believe it or not he ran low most of the trip.
don't forget you can ask for a fridge for the insulin too if needed...

Its hard to believe in this day and age, and with so many people who are diabetic or just want to avoid sugar altogether. That the selections are not bigger. I can't believe all they have at certain locations is Butter Pecan ice cream. What about the most basic of flavors choc/van.?

One would think you could stroll into Beaches and cream and find creative selections.

Or into one of the bakeries and find baked goods.

disneydeb
07-18-2008, 09:57 PM
With all the walking and excitement , my blood sugar tends to run low at WDW too. I had to take emergency sugar twice last October.

MsMin
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
With all the walking and excitement , my blood sugar tends to run low at WDW too. I had to take emergency sugar twice last October.
My dad rides a scooter b/c he can't walk but 10 steps. I always thought that he didn't snack as much as he does at home and here he always wants more "fatty foods" like fried seafood.
Personally I think the :bar: should be in sugar-free.
If not that then the strawberry bar!
They do have a wide selection of sugar free candies but sometime they can run his sugar up too.

disneygeek84
07-23-2008, 02:31 PM
It's because diabetics need CARB FREE, not SUGAR FREE. Oddly enough, the carbs in food are what raises the blood sugar, not the sugar in the food. I've been diabetic for 15 years and at first I was told I needed to eat sugar free stuff, but about 10 years ago found out that that's just not true.

And really, you would think that with all these diets out now that want everyone to cut out as many carbs as they can that Disney would start giving more low carb choices, but they just haven't yet. Even though I've never had a problem with my sugars before at Disney because of all the walking that is involved, it would still be nice to have an option for a snack that I don't I have to take as much insulin for.

lockedoutlogic
07-23-2008, 08:41 PM
It's because diabetics need CARB FREE, not SUGAR FREE. Oddly enough, the carbs in food are what raises the blood sugar, not the sugar in the food. I've been diabetic for 15 years and at first I was told I needed to eat sugar free stuff, but about 10 years ago found out that that's just not true.

And really, you would think that with all these diets out now that want everyone to cut out as many carbs as they can that Disney would start giving more low carb choices, but they just haven't yet. Even though I've never had a problem with my sugars before at Disney because of all the walking that is involved, it would still be nice to have an option for a snack that I don't I have to take as much insulin for.

wholeheartedly agree......

after 20 years....i can tell you that it's not a matter of "i got the sugar".....and avoiding sugar....

it really involves knowing how to use your medication intelligently, regulating your diet-which means eating appropriate amounts of everything....not avoiding hershey bars and devouring fats and lipids, and avoiding carb loaded and high fat foods.....

not just at disney world.....but anywhere....

WDW is big....so if you are not prone to any exercise or physical activity....the walking will definitely hit you.....

i would recommend a 10% cut in medication on the first day...if walking.....and see how that does.....

but of course....as in any situation....it pays to monitor yourself......with an actual machine....not "i know how i feel"

MsMin
07-23-2008, 10:02 PM
I hope I didn't give the impression that the sugar-free was all that was important:blush:
In fact my dad's sugars tend to spike more w/ a good steak than a scoop of ice cream. He does try to eat more fish.
With all things similar. When my dad eats out at home compared to a similar meal at WDW ( say grilled fish) his sugars do tend to run higher here. Maybe they use more butter here??? As I mentioned walking isn't an option for him so the activity isn't greatly increased.
Did you see where the surgeon general recently praised WDW for their well balanced diets?
They may have less fats then we think.

Nate's Grandpa
07-24-2008, 01:40 PM

This has been my experience also. Having low blood sugar at WDW is something I try to avoid by eating an occasional snack. I always carry glucose tabs with me just in case.

As far as checking the sugar level of anything, I also gave that up years ago in favor of checking how many carbs there are.

Mackflava99
07-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Hey i am diabetic and i don't object to the special needs catagory- because i have found that WDW CMs have gone out of the way to assist me.
My fav is Sugar free fudge in Germany

disneygeek84
07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
I hope I didn't give the impression that the sugar-free was all that was important:blush:
In fact my dad's sugars tend to spike more w/ a good steak than a scoop of ice cream. He does try to eat more fish.
With all things similar. When my dad eats out at home compared to a similar meal at WDW ( say grilled fish) his sugars do tend to run higher here. Maybe they use more butter here??? As I mentioned walking isn't an option for him so the activity isn't greatly increased.
Did you see where the surgeon general recently praised WDW for their well balanced diets?
They may have less fats then we think.

No! Not at all! Sorry if I came across that way. I honestly didn't mean to. It just bothers me when people who are not familiar with diabetes think that we need SUGAR FREE foods, when infact it's the carbs in food that effect the blood sugars. It just still baffles me that Disney doesn't offer more low carb meals and snacks than they do. I mean, I know you can get some...I've been going to WDW for 20 years and diabetic for 15...but it would be nice to see more of it without having to draw attention to myself. That's all.

It was just something that I was thinking about because my mom is on a low carb diet and I was thinking about how many other people visit the World in our situations who can't always find more than 2 things to eat. It would just be nice to see Disney trying to help everyone out in this type of situation.

Again, sorry if it sounded like I was being rude!

Strmchsr
07-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Agreed!!! I didn't even notice this was moved! its about food. food=dining? at least I thought so. :confused:

I take offense in this topic being moved from dining to "Guests with Special Needs". .

Let me see if I can explain this. First off, my DS8 is a type-1 diabetic, so dealing with diabetes at WDW an issue I'm extremely familiar with. Now, I didn't move the thread, but we moderators try to keep topics grouped in the place where they'll be the most helpful. Yeah, this thread probably could have stayed in dining, however, we designed this "special needs" forum recently specifically for issues like this which a select portion or our readers need information on. There are probably quite a few diabetics interested in this thread. In the dining forum this thread will get buried pretty quickly and missed by much of the population. However, in the "special needs" forum you have a specific population that is more likely to look in this section to find the answers as well as the people viewing this section are more likely to have helpful answers on dietary needs. On top of that, there are folks with dietary needs other than diabetes who would find this thread helpful so it also helps to post it here. So, we're not trying to be offensive in "pigeonholing" anyone. We're simply trying to make sure the thread is in the most helpful location.

GeminiAngel
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Let me see if I can explain this. First off, my DS8 is a type-1 diabetic, so dealing with diabetes at WDW an issue I'm extremely familiar with. Now, I didn't move the thread, but we moderators try to keep topics grouped in the place where they'll be the most helpful. Yeah, this thread probably could have stayed in dining, however, we designed this "special needs" forum recently specifically for issues like this which a select portion or our readers need information on. There are probably quite a few diabetics interested in this thread. In the dining forum this thread will get buried pretty quickly and missed by much of the population. However, in the "special needs" forum you have a specific population that is more likely to look in this section to find the answers as well as the people viewing this section are more likely to have helpful answers on dietary needs. On top of that, there are folks with dietary needs other than diabetes who would find this thread helpful so it also helps to post it here. So, we're not trying to be offensive in "pigeonholing" anyone. We're simply trying to make sure the thread is in the most helpful location.

Ah, I see. Special Needs kinda means Special Requests. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Strmchsr
07-27-2008, 08:50 AM
Ah, I see. Special Needs kinda means Special Requests. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem! You have it right now. This forum is intended for anything outside the "norm" of family needs while at WDW. It's not just intended for folks who are metally/physically disabled, handicapped, etc. though we certainly discuss those types of issues here as well.

Momof2boys
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM
My DS10 is type 1 diabetic as well - and believe it or not he's willing to take an extra shot of insulin and have that Mickey Bar then to snack on the carrots or pickles that we pack for him. As he says, he can only get some of this stuff once a year - last year he was addicted to the Zebra Domes at AKL and enjoyed them every day.

We make sure we place a grocery order that includes sugar free jello, string cheese, lunch meat, pickles, carrots, and such to have in the room and then he'll bring some to snack on during the day.

Surprisingly, his sugars run pretty close to normal while we are there -- I think all the exercise and adreneline offset the couple extra snacks for him.