PDA

View Full Version : Fantasmic - is it scary?

Giselle
07-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Why is Fantasmic scary? I have ressies for dinner package and I am wondering how to prepare my 4 yo DD :princess:for the show so that she will not be suprised by anything. What is scary about the show? Any other parents have 4 yo that liked or didn't like it?

homeschool mom
07-16-2008, 04:09 PM
I guess it could be scarey for a little one. There are villains just as there are in any Disney movie. Also there is a point when the evil queen/stepmother turns into a GIANT snake. (At least that's where I think the snake comes from.) But of course, Mickey saves the day at the end. I would just prepare her as you would to see the villains in any of the "princess" movies. All in all, it is an awesome show and I would recommend you not miss it. There are so many other elements that IMHO they overshadow the scarey parts.

Gator
07-16-2008, 04:12 PM
The scary part happens only for a few minutes. I wouldn't be too worried. You'll be there to explain that Mickey will take care of the bad guys. What are mommies for?

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-16-2008, 04:19 PM
:mickey: This could indeed be quite scary for a four year old. I have seen people with younger kids that do fine, some do not. My suggestion is to let her know about the show and if she gets upset just take her out.

There are a lot of loud noises, and it is supposed to be a "Nightmare' that Mickey is having and all the Disney villans appear so if she has one that she's afraid of you need to prepare her....I would remind her that Mickey always wins in the end.

KylesMom
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
DS was terrified at age 27 months - but but the time he was 39 months, he loved Fantasmic. Remember that the theme is roughly based on Mickey battling evil in his nightmares. It includes the old hag, a big snake and many villanous characters projected onto water screens that may catch your child unaware. Just explain to her that Mickey's having a bad dream, and he'll be victorious. The prince & princess floats are fabulous for little girls to see! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
07-16-2008, 04:32 PM
It is a very LOUD show. I think that is part of what upsets the kids so much. Plus, the villans are pretty big... kind of like how a movie on the big screen is so much bigger than your TV. Taking her to see a movie on a big screen might be a good way to get her ready for the volume and size of everything.

meldan98
07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
We took my dd (4) to Fantasmic for the first time at WDW in Dec. She did get scared, but in the end she got excited that "Mickey saved us". I wanted WDW to be her first experience since at DL Fantasmic is a complete zoo and you are forced to be much closer to the action. Next time we go to DL and it isn't 90 I might sit the 2 hours on a walkway so that she can see it again.

Disney Doll
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I hate to give too many details because I don't want to spoil the show for anyone. You should be able to view a video of the show on You Tube. Every kid is different. I took my 4 year old niece and she did great.

danicafan
07-16-2008, 04:46 PM
When I took my niece age 5 and my nephew age 2 in December I just explained to them that Mickey was having a bad dream and they were fine with it. The noise didn't bother them and in fact after ToT it was my niece's favorite thing about the Studios! Yes, she is only 5 and LOVED ToT !! WE HAD to ride it about 6 times!

Goes4FastPass
07-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Don't sit near the front, besides, it's wet there anyway.

Mousemates
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Why is it scary....its loud, sometimes dark, sometimes firey, and there is a giant dragon involved...however, most kids can take it in stride...you know your daughter best though, and if you don't think she's ready for it this year, you can always catch it on a return trip.

luvmyboys4ever
07-16-2008, 06:28 PM
My sons were 5 & 7 the first time they saw it and they loved it! Now, they act out the show as it's going on :sing: If you sit in the back it will feel more like a show. The front feels like you are part of the action(a little intense for some small children). Another benefit to sitting in the back is getting out at the end of the show before most of the crowd :thumbsup: I would try it, if she doesn't like it you can leave. Good luck:fingers:

MickeyMomof2
07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
My son was 5 when we saw it. He kept his ears covered and eyes closed during the entire middle portion with all the villains. He liked the beginning and end though. :)

momofdisneyprincess
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I agree with the previous posters. Sit near the back to distance yourselves a bit from the action. I also prepared my daughter by telling her that it was just a show about Mickey's bad dreams, it was all pretend for the show and it has a happy ending. She first saw it when she was almost 4. We get the Fantasmic Dining Package at H&V so we don't have to wait in the long lines for the show. It truly is a wonderful show - we have seen it the past 4 years. Enjoy!

tink'72
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
My DS 5 is scared of it. He's okay if we sit further up , but if we happen to sit closer the heat from the flames make him very nervous.

MushuGrl
07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
If your child is afraid of the dragon in Sleeping Beauty (like I was as a kid), then might not be a good idea.

Taja
07-17-2008, 07:30 PM
As other posters have noted, it can be very loud and occasionally can be completely dark for a very short time between scens.

I like the idea of explaining that it's Mickey's bad dreams and there is a good ending!

One time, I was sitting next to a Finnish couple with their 18-month old toddler. She was adorable--they had a little hand sanitizer routine with her that was cute and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She was a little scared during a couple of parts during the performance, but mom and dad kept talking to her and she finally looked at the action and enjoyed it again!

Young@Heart
07-18-2008, 02:26 AM
DD was an older 2yo when she saw it, and was easily frightened by many things (Mickey's Philharmagic! :confused:), but she loved Fantasmic! She watched wide-eyed the whole time, even though it was the second show of the night and she must have been tired. She really loved the ending, and still talks about it to this day. :mickey: