PDA

View Full Version : Tonga Toast

jszczur5
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I have been up and down these boards, but I can't figure something out (Shhhh...don't tell my husband, he thinks I know everything Disney).
We are going to WDW during Free Dining again this year. Our ADR's have been made since the 180 day mark, but I keep hearing about Tonga Toast, and I absolutely must have some. Is there any way to get Tonga Toast for breakfast using a CS credit rather than using a TS credit? If worse comes to worse, I may be willing to pay OOP.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-16-2008, 02:54 PM
:secret: I've heard there is a counter service restaurant at the Poly that serves it

Aggie97
07-16-2008, 03:22 PM
You can find Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's, the CS dining option at the Polynesian. It is a smaller portion (and smaller pricetag) than what you receive at Kona Cafe, but it still is huge and just as delicious! :mickey:

jszczur5
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
You can find Tonga Toast at Captain Cook's, the CS dining option at the Polynesian. It is a smaller portion (and smaller pricetag) than what you receive at Kona Cafe, but it still is huge and just as delicious! :mickey:

Thank you. Next question - Any idea as to how late they serve it, before switching to the lunch menu?

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
The breakfast menu at Captain Cooks runs 6:30am to 10:30am. The Tonga toast is to die for.

dolphinmickey9170
07-16-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info....I love TT, now I can get a quick fix. Where is Capt. Cooks at the Poly? I can't seem to recall.

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info....I love TT, now I can get a quick fix. Where is Capt. Cooks at the Poly? I can't seem to recall.

Its on the first floor. If you go to the stairs to Ohana (the ones on the west side) and then continue past them down the hall, turn to the right and down the long hall you come to Captain Cooks at the end of the hallway.

garthbarth1
07-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Tonga Toast sounds yummy...what is it??

Polynesian Dweller
07-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Tonga Toast sounds yummy...what is it??

The best way to describe it is as French Toast stuffed with banana. But that doesn't adequately describe how decadently sweet and delicious this treat really is, and I don't like bananas usually.

jonahbear2006
07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
thanks for this thread. I think I want some tonga toast! I will go get some at Poly for breakfast!!!

MinnieMommie
07-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Tonga Toast Recipe: Serves 4

1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 8-inch loaf sourdough bread
2 bananas, peeled
1 quart canola oil, for frying
Tonga Toast

Mix sugar and cinnamon with a fork in a shallow bowl until thoroughly blended; set aside.
Slice the bread into four 2-inch-thick slices.
Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into;
repeat with each bread slice.
In a large pot or a deep fryer, heat the oil to 350°F; use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter, or it will burn.
Gently place one bread slice into the oil for 1 minute or until light brown. Turn and fry for another minute on the other side.
Remove from fryer, drain on paper towels, then toss in sugar and cinnamon mixture.
Repeat for each piece.
Serve with a drizzle of warm syrup.

This will give you a good idea of what Tonga Toast is: Enjoy!! :mickey:

bertasso59
07-19-2008, 07:24 PM
mmmmmmm tonga