PDA

View Full Version : New to DVC and have a couple ?s

laprana
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
We just joined DVC in June and bought our points at AKV. We're planning to book our first DVC vacation at Kidani Village as soon as the reservations open up in August, and plan to go around the end of May/beginning of June 2009. This is all so new to me, and I have a couple questions I hope you guys can help me with! :thumbsup:

1) When you stay at a DVC resort on points, can you purchase park tickets through DVC like you would if you booked a regular MYW package?

2) When you check into your villa, do you get a Key to the World like you would at a regular resort?

3) If you can get park tickets through DVC, will those be put on your Key to the World (if you get one)?

4) If you can't buy park tickets through DVC, and we buy tickets through Disney, AAA, or another vendor, can those tickets be put on our Key to the World (if you get one) so we just have the one card?

5) If we purchase the DDP, will that be put on our Key to the World (if you get one)?

We've looked into getting APs, but I think at least for our 2009 trip, we're leaning more toward just regular tickets as it will probably be our only trip that year. Later on, if we take more than 1 trip a year, we'll probably do APs. I'm just trying to get it all figured out, so that if we need to buy park tickets on our own, we can look for the best deal on those (like maybe buying through AAA or something). Thanks so much for any help you can offer! There sure is a lot to learn when you purchase DVC! :D

OhToodles!
07-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I can't really answer any of your questions since we just joined in April, but wanted to say:

WELCOME HOME NEIGHBOR!!

We're going to make reservations at 'home' in August too for a June trip! Good Luck!

laprana
07-16-2008, 02:05 PM
I can't really answer any of your questions since we just joined in April, but wanted to say:

WELCOME HOME NEIGHBOR!!

We're going to make reservations at 'home' in August too for a June trip! Good Luck!

Hey, thanks! We might see you there! :D

It looks like we really are kind of neighbors! We're just across the river from St. Louis in the Alton, IL area!

OhToodles!
07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey, thanks! We might see you there! :D

It looks like we really are kind of neighbors! We're just across the river from St. Louis in the Alton, IL area!

Wow! We ARE neighbors. (I gre up in Florissatn so that's even closer.) Right now we are planning on 6/7-13/09 and driving since airfare is getting and might really be outrageous by then. We're also planning to go in the first half of December and definitely driving then because I don't want to pay full price for a 2 year old to fly.

Seasonscraps
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Welcome to DVC!!

When you check in, you will get a Key to the Kingdom card. The DDP will be added to that as well.

I am not sure how it works with the park tickets.

JMTStone
07-16-2008, 06:43 PM
:welcome: home!

1) When you stay at a DVC resort on points, can you purchase park tickets through DVC like you would if you booked a regular MYW package?

Yes you can purchase them through member services. I'd think about annual passes, there is a DVC discount for them and I've just used our passes for 3 trips, saving lots of money!

2) When you check into your villa, do you get a Key to the World like you would at a regular resort?

You get a card that you can use to charge things back to the room, get into your villa, and DDP, if you choose it. (Rules are the same, you have to add it to your reservation at least a week - or is it 3 days - before you get there)

3) If you can get park tickets through DVC, will those be put on your Key to the World (if you get one)?

I've always had a separate ticket for park since I have an annual pass... someone should be able to answer better.

:mickey:

I'm your 1/2 neighbor. We have AKV and SSR points. We'll be there in May 2009 too!!!

vizsla
07-17-2008, 05:19 AM
:mickey: Welcome Home :mickey:

laprana
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks so much for the info! I can't wait to start planning our first DVC trip!

Wow! We ARE neighbors. (I gre up in Florissatn so that's even closer.) Right now we are planning on 6/7-13/09 and driving since airfare is getting and might really be outrageous by then. We're also planning to go in the first half of December and definitely driving then because I don't want to pay full price for a 2 year old to fly.

"It's a small world after all, It's a small world...." :blush: Sorry - I couldn't resist! I think right now we're looking at the last week of May, maybe the Sunday before Memorial Day. We usually go the first week of June, so it's really about the same, but with that holiday thrown in there, we might decide to push it back a few days. We've also talked about driving this time instead of flying. We've driven a few times before, and who knows what airfare prices will be for next May! I think we're going to just watch the prices and weigh out our options. Have you driven down before? It's not too bad of a drive, but loooong! :car:

gmgdisneymom
07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Welcome home!

Your Key to the world works for your room and the DDP and charging - they will NOT put the tickets on there, you have to buy them separately. If you plan to go more than one time a year it makes sense to buy the AP through DVC - you save a bundle and then even more when you renew

Have fun

JMTStone
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
We will be at AKV May 19 - 23 before we get on that boat for a week. This is very cool!

laprana
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM
We will be at AKV May 19 - 23 before we get on that boat for a week. This is very cool!

This is cool! Intercotees are taking over AKV! :D:clappy: Will you be in Jambo House or Kidani Village?

I'm so excited to stay at AKV! I've wanted to stay at AKL since the first time I visited there in 2003. It's just amazing!

OhToodles!
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
"It's a small world after all, It's a small world...." :blush: Sorry - I couldn't resist! I think right now we're looking at the last week of May, maybe the Sunday before Memorial Day. We usually go the first week of June, so it's really about the same, but with that holiday thrown in there, we might decide to push it back a few days. We've also talked about driving this time instead of flying. We've driven a few times before, and who knows what airfare prices will be for next May! I think we're going to just watch the prices and weigh out our options. Have you driven down before? It's not too bad of a drive, but loooong! :car:

We've been the last week of May in the past so we'd come over Memorial Day weekend. It was nice to have that extra day.
We've kind of driven before - when "we've" driven it was with my in-laws and my FIL drove most of the way. Ont he way down we'd stop in Atlanta for a night, but on the way back we'd drive straight through. It was definitely long. We're going to keep watching airfare until it gets too close to our check-in date. I think paying a little more for airfare might be better than driving with a 20 month at that time.

By the way - I just booked us at AKV in a studio at club level for June 7-13, 2009!! We're so excited!

p.s. We chose June so DH could get in some Star Wars Weekends - this will be SWW #3 or 4 for us.

MatterhornMiss
07-17-2008, 02:43 PM
I asked member services directly, as there seems to be some controversy on adding the room key to separately purchased tickets. I purchased my tickets at AAA (and saved over $100). MS told me that our room key could be added to the tickets at check-in. If you have an AP, this can't be done. Also, some CM don't seem to know how to do this. I think this is where the confusion comes in. (I myself was told on my last trip to WDW that they couldn't combine passes and keys.) Alas, I am not going to attempt combining all onto one ticket this trip, as we have a split stay and MS told me it could only be done for the first segment. It's going to be confusing enough having the DDP (which is added to the room key) at each separate resort to keep up with.