PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to save/update a ride.

offero
07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Nothing lasts forever.

Unfortunately, at some point every ride will loose its luster. They can either update it or replace it. What ride would you save and what would you do to save it?

My harebrained idea would be to save a ride I love the most and perhaps put a little life in it.
I would like to see them update the Carousel of Progress. I know everyone has their own ideas, but i had a brain fart last week that sounded good to me. I thought it might be funny if they replaced the family on the ride with the family from Everybody Loves Raymond. Unfortunately Peter Boyle passed but I am sure they can work something out. Between Raymond, the mother, the wife and Robert they could make the ride really interesting.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
:) Hollywood Studios comes to mind for several attractions....1st of all I am very glad they did something with the Narnia attraction, I saw it in 2005 and it was nothing but a movie trailer, imagine my surprise after waiting 30 minutes to get in, I'm hoping they freshen up the Indiana Jones attraction and I think Backlot Tours could really use a complete overhaul...not sure what I'd do, just do something new and exciting.

hardingella
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
OK lets get back to the point.

I would do something with that ride at EPCOT, oh whats it called, the one with Ellen in it, actually is it still there?. I would save Sorin but it would be nice if we could fly somewhere different, i've flown over California umpteen times now.

Oh yes and i would update the Great Movie ride at DHS,but keep the bit at the end.

Goes4FastPass
07-16-2008, 03:18 PM
I would refurb Indy Speedway to remove gas powered vehicles from the ride. Here's a hint for theming a car ride: "Cars"

The Magic Kingdom deserves a kid steers while parent sits beside and encourages car attraction that is worthy of a Disney theme park, not the noisy, smelly, polluting roadside gocart ride they have now.

jszczur5
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
In the time it took me to type my previous post, CharlieBrown's original response was removed. Thank you Intercot moderators for being so quick to eliminate such vitriol.

Goes4FastPass
07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
In the time it took me to type my previous post, CharlieBrown's original response was removed. Thank you Intercot moderators for being so quick to eliminate such vitriol.It seems several posts were removed. I thought I politely disagreed.

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2008, 03:35 PM
It seems several posts were removed. I thought I politely disagreed.If a post is deemed inappropriate and deleted, any other posts quoting it or referencing it will often be edited or removed, as they would make no sense. That is the reason your post was deleted.

MODERATER NOTE--
Please folks, let's get back to the original discussion now. :mickey:

jszczur5
07-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Nothing lasts forever.

Unfortunately, at some point every ride will loose its luster. They can either update it or replace it. What ride would you save and what would you do to save it?

My harebrained idea would be to save a ride I love the most and perhaps put a little life in it.
I would like to see them update the Carousel of Progress. I know everyone has their own ideas, but i had a brain fart last week that sounded good to me. I thought it might be funny if they replaced the family on the ride with the family from Everybody Loves Raymond. Unfortunately Peter Boyle passed but I am sure they can work something out. Between Raymond, the mother, the wife and Robert they could make the ride really interesting.

Okay, back on topic here....
I vote No, to a major CoP revamp that would eliminate the original family and their dog. I think this attraction just needs a less annoying final act, and it would be back to being perfect. I would like to see the final scene take place in the 50's or 60's. Any attempt to place it in the present/immediate future becomes too laughably outdated in no time at all.
There's enough of annoying Ray and shrill Deborah in re-runs, that we don't need to corrupt one of Walt's favourite attractions to include them.

MickeyChick
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
First thing I'd do is put Journey into the Imagination back the way it used to be.

Leave the CoP alone...

CharlieBrown
07-16-2008, 03:59 PM
one of Walt's favourite attractions to include them.

Is that why the CoP is still around?

I've often thought it was very dated.

MickeyChick
07-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I think it's still around because people love it (and are very protective of it), it's part of the Disney tradition and it is pure Walt.

Von-Drake
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
First thing I'd do is put Journey into the Imagination back the way it used to be.

Leave the CoP alone...

I agree about Journey Into Imagination. It is not too bad now, but would definitely like to see it back the way it was. I am a bog fan of the CoP is now also, I agree the final scene is quite hokey, but... I would like to see them expand it, but know that would be very hard to do. Rather than cover 30 years in a clip only about 15 or so.

teambricker04
07-16-2008, 04:16 PM
I like JintoI any which way... If they changed it back that would be fine with me, but I still like to ride it the way it currently is.

I prefer the original Tiki Room (they have that one at DL), not that I care for it that much. We have little kids who think it is the bees knees.

I think Test Track could be umphed up a bit more. I would like some crazier bumps, twists, and turns. I feel like I have been there, done that so we don't even go on it any more.

Is SM getting redone at WDW??? I like the revamp at DL where you can sit next to each other.

ElenitaB
07-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Is SM getting redone at WDW??? I like the revamp at DL where you can sit next to each other.
At DL, it's always been that you sit side by side (or at least, that's the way it was when I would ride it in the 70s).

I'd like to see them do something with Snow White's Scary Adventures.

jszczur5
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I'd like to see them do something with Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Yeah, I agree. In my mind, it's basically the same as Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh, but not nearly as good.

Wells
07-20-2008, 12:57 PM
Is that why the CoP is still around?

I've often thought it was very dated.

Personally, I still really enjoy this attraction.
After all, how can a story about history of home convenineces become "dated"? Maybe the could throw a few new things into the last scene once and a while (I-Phone, George Forman grill, AB lounger, etc)...Oh, Sorry, I forgot this is history, not satire.
If you really would like to read some speculation on the lengths some people in the future may go to save a favorite attraction, read Cory Doctorow's book "Down and out in the Magic Kingdom", it's very good and avaiable as a free download at Cory's web site.......

Mousemates
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
convert space mountain WDW to the much improved space mountain at DL.

PittFan
07-21-2008, 08:33 AM
The Backlot Tours special effects aren't surprising anymore. Add a few new surprises !!! :mickey:

Imagineer1981
07-21-2008, 11:16 AM
I think it's still around because people love it (and are very protective of it), it's part of the Disney tradition and it is pure Walt.

It is one of Walts creations, one of his babies and it was even at the Worlds Fair, removing it would be like removing Its a Small World...you'd be removing Walt.

bruin1344
07-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Rides that need upgrading:
Great Movie
Carousel of Progress
Universe of Energy
Backlot Tour

bkfree
07-21-2008, 11:17 PM
I would also hate for COP to be changed, it is like a dear old friend and a nice rest break during the day.

What I would like to see is some new animatronic technology added to the Jungle Cruise. It is a favorite of mine since childhood, but I swear it is exactly the same, even the CM speil.

I would also love there to be a castle themed ride. My kids were disappointed in Cinderella's Castle, they imagined more to it.
So maybe Snow White, or Beauty and the Beast or any other princess could get her own castle that involves a ride.
I would love to see a ride that went through the castle dining room and see all the characters form Beauty dancing and singing "Be Our Guest".
So many Disney movies involve Princesses and Princes and castles that I would think they would have more of a place at MK.

joonyer
07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
1. Replace the final scene in COP with one set in the in the 1960's. and leave it ending there. That way the whole thing is really retro, while still showing the progress made in the 20th century. The last scene is just too out of place (and kind of hokey) with the rest of the attraction.

2. Replace simulation part of the Star Tours ride at studios with an updated simulators with more advanced technology. Now it feels like your riding in an old bus or truck, completely out of place with what you're seeing on the screen and the theme.

3. Replace the movie at Soarin' with one set in Florida and/or the eastern or southeastern U.S.

4. Add a new country in the World Showcase. I don't know where you would do this though. Maybe at the front where the old restuarant is.

5. Revamp Wonders of Life and re-open it, or at least move Cranium Command to a new location and re-open it.