PDA

View Full Version : Just switched Resorts: CR to WL

BigRedDad
07-15-2008, 08:31 AM
In an effort to save money and not have to resort hop on the first night, we decided to switch from the Contemporary to the Wilderness Lodge. I know the CR has the monorail and that was a plus. However, the only rooms we would want would be in the tower with MK view. With the price of airfare being 2x what we anticipated, the savings to switch was the key. We would have been happy to pay the same price to stay at the Poly, but it is not available.

We are saving about $600 to by switching over to WL. I have never been but have seen almost every picture and video available on the web. The only real plus of the CR for me was the MK view and monorail. The pluses for WL are the theming, proximity to MK (can take the boat), less expensive, boat access to CR for Chef Mickey's.

Questions:
1. Can you walk to Chip n Dales campfire from the WL with children in strollers?

2. I assume the buses are the typical times as for any other resort?

3. Anything we should try to do while we are at the resort? We are eating at Whispering Canyon Cafe one night.

big blue and hairy
07-15-2008, 08:41 AM
In an effort to save money and not have to resort hop on the first night, we decided to switch from the Contemporary to the Wilderness Lodge. I know the CR has the monorail and that was a plus. However, the only rooms we would want would be in the tower with MK view. With the price of airfare being 2x what we anticipated, the savings to switch was the key. We would have been happy to pay the same price to stay at the Poly, but it is not available.

We are saving about $600 to by switching over to WL. I have never been but have seen almost every picture and video available on the web. The only real plus of the CR for me was the MK view and monorail. The pluses for WL are the theming, proximity to MK (can take the boat), less expensive, boat access to CR for Chef Mickey's.

Questions:
1. Can you walk to Chip n Dales campfire from the WL with children in strollers?Yes, it's a little bit of a hike, but not bad.

2. I assume the buses are the typical times as for any other resort?You are correct.

3. Anything we should try to do while we are at the resort? We are eating at Whispering Canyon Cafe one night.If you hav e time set aside for a nice sitdown, try Artist Point, it is very nice. DW and I also got up early and swam in the pool. It was just us and the ducks.

:sulley:

SBETigg
07-15-2008, 08:55 AM
The WL is a beautiful resort and I don't think you'll regret your choice at all. But, I also think you should have given the Bay Lake side of CR a chance. The ease of the monorail/walk to MK is something I would never trade again. Once you have it, it's hard to give up. And the view on that side of the CR is really something, very pretty and so much to watch out there. I really enjoyed my stay with that view. But the WL will be lots of fun, and saving money is always a good feeling. Enjoy!

slegrant
07-15-2008, 09:33 AM
My Family loves the contemporary, but the Wilderness Lodge is our Favorite. The lobby, music and the the pool are themed and fantastic. They have a great counter service area there (roaring Forks) and its close to the pool so you can refill your mugs. There is a walkway over to Fort Wilderness and we walk it all the time, your bound to see some wildlife.
The Campfire show with Chip & Dale is great, we go a few times a trip. Now we love the monorail, but the boat ride back and forth to the Magic Kingdom is so relaxing, you can also take a boat back and forth to the Contemporary and Fort Wilderness!

Have a great trip!

BigRedDad
07-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the replies. This is a short trip for my wife's family. We are only going for 5 days/4 nights. The total at the CR for the 4 nights (tix and dining) was almost $3k. The difference for BL view was negligible, that is why we took the MK view at the time. Once we added in airfare and everything else, it was going to be close to $800 per day per family. I know it is right before Thanksgiving, but it is an insane amount of money. By switching, we are going to gain $150 per day and not have to hop resorts after the first night. WL gives use the first night at the same resort and still saves us $600.

I will save up for the Polynesian the next time we go so we have the monorail.

waymickey
07-15-2008, 10:02 AM
:mickey:WL has great activities, pick up a schedule from the front desk each day. Some of the things we have enjoyed are the duck races, magical cookie hour and the hidden mickey scavenger hunt. Not sure if they still do these activities though, but If not I am sure they will have something new and fun to do!