PDA

View Full Version : I should not be allowed to get bored....

conorsmom2000
07-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh boy.

Sunday was a very lazy day here - Conor was in the pool with a friend (water was too cold for me!) and Mike was reading in the hammock. So, I had been toying with the idea of changing my hair color, and though I have a perfectly good hairdresser, I decided to do it myself right then and there. Oops.

I was born very blonde, but by the time I was 8 or 10, it was "dirty" blonde/mousy brown. I don't really know what it is now, as all of us (my parents and 6 brothers and sisters) went gray in our teens. At this point, I am 75% gray, so I've been coloring my hair for 20 years, mostly a medium to dark blonde (with the occassional really light blonde or highlights thrown in). But, the summer always makes it really blonde and kind of beat up looking.

So, I thought I would try a dark blonde color with a hint of red in it for a change (note to self: stay away from colors with "spice" in the name!!) :blush: So, I do my hair.....and it's red. And I mean red. Lucille Ball red. Uh oh! Even Mike was slightly horrified by how red it was. So, sorry hair, but I ran right to the drugstore and got a dark blonde and a light brown (I need 2 boxes for my hair, and I was afraid to use all blonde lest it turn orange!) So, I mixed them together and threw it on....

Well, now I have dark brownish/copper colored hair!! :blush: Oops. (as I told Mike, kind of cross between a hershey bar and a penny!) Though my natural color could be this dark by now (under the gray), I've never actually been this dark....ever. I still get a little jolt of shock when I pass a mirror! :D I just think it is way too dark for me!!

It looks like I'll have to have a professional fix it (stripped, then colored again), but I want to wait a bit so my poor hair can recover (I have very tough hair that can take abuse, luckily!)

Please tell me I'm not the only one to ever do this!! :D What in the world was I thinking??

offwego
07-15-2008, 08:29 AM
The idea I could do this to myself is why I've only done my own colour maybe 3 times in my life and always picked something darker then what I'd get a hairdresser to do.

(and wouldn't do it now on a bet as I've been doing red's for the last few years and the red colours terrify me!)

I'm sure it will work out..if your hair is otherwise healthy it's not going to be the first or last one your hairdresser will fix up. Can you use some extra conditioners to help strengthen the hair?

Mickey'sGirl
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Jen, I have nothing to compare (I don't colour my hair) -- but you sure brought a smile to my face this morning. I am sure you look terrific, it's just different is all! :thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
:high5:
Yeah, sure have....One time I got the prettiest shade of highway marker orange.....The cheap hairdresser (I was newly married and we were struggling) I ran to to fix it stripped it out and left it a platinum frosty white ,so I wasn't much better off:shake:. I just went with it and was Tammy Wynette :cowgirl: for Mardi Gras that year....I know better now...:blush:

Dragongirlx
07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
My sister used to be a goth and all through University she died her hair black. We are both mousy blonde naturally. She then decided to dye it back to blonde instead of letting it grow out. It turned into a mulit colour mix with lighter blonde on top going down and getting darker but with light patches even the hairdresser wouldn't touch it till it grew out. Did look spectacular though.

You would have thought that I would learn my lesson from this but no. I die my hair red usually but a few years ago I thought I would go back to my normal colour so bleached and died my hair blonde only it didn't work and I ended up with translucent orange hair my sister had to make an emergency run to the shops for a light brown dye. The funny thing was even after that grew out and I was my natural colour I kept getting asked why I didn't go back to my natural red! Needless to say I am back to dying it red again

TheDuckRocks
07-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I have had so many different colors on my hair I can't even begin to remember them all. The one that stands out though was back a hundred years ago in the 60s when I was 18. At that time I was doing some modeling and was asked to be a hair model for a "before and after" photo shoot. (Do not believe all the before pictures you see, the amount of make-up they put on me to make me have wrinkles and bags under my eyes was unreal.) Unforuantely the photographer was very verbal about how "cute" he thought I was. Unknown to me the beautician that was doing my hair was his girlfriend and was major ticked off. She over-processed my hair and it all broke off to about one inch all over my head and it was pink!!!:jaw:
That evening was my first blind date with my husband and he still to this day swears that my pink hair was one of the things that made him fall in love with me. Remember this was in the 60s and having pink hair was a huge oddity.

Young@Heart
07-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Oh, I'm so sorry! You're definitely not the only one.

In 2006, the night before we left for WDW, I was at a closeout store and saw a box of highlights, really cheap. Even though I'd never done it before, I decided this would be the perfect time to highlight my hair. :blush: Well, I ended up with bright orange streaks through my very dark brown hair. I cried the whole night! There weren't any stores open that late, and we were leaving at 2am to drive down, so I had to leave it like that till we arrived 2 days later. As soon as we hit the Orlando area, I stopped and got a box of dark brown at a grocery store, and as soon as we'd checked in, I tried to fix my hair. At that point, I vowed to never color my own hair again!

MickeysGirl
07-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Jen, I have nothing to compare (I don't colour my hair) -- but you sure brought a smile to my face this morning. I am sure you look terrific, it's just different is all! :thumbsup:

:ditto:
Ditto everything, down to not coloring my own hair.

But Jenn, what are we going to do with you??? :hug: You are a beautiful person. Any chance it might tone it self down with a few extra washes or anything? (again, never colored mine before, not sure how these things hold up).

You will get it all worked out. And this was just a small lesson to remind you to trust your hair dresser. :blush:

jrkcr
07-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Oh Yeah....been there too! I've done all kinds of colors-blonde, red, and brown.

The red was a shock. Not because of my hair-but because of what washed out, and covered my tub and shower walls!! It was what Psycho's shower scene would have looked like if it was filmed in color.
The brown looked like a wig. And yet my brother looks normal with black hair...:confused:

My hair is actually very odd colored anyway. When I am all natural-my roots are very dark brown, then my hair gets lighter as it grows, and by shoulder length it is dirty blonde with reddishness in it. My natural hair color is not a real color!

But I know exactly which box of color to get it all looking "normal"-clairol 106 natural medium ash blonde. When I use this no one-not even my kids-notice it. It just hides my dark roots.

So then WHY do I still try out crazy colors? Just to be different! :D I have a box of ultra light blonde under my sink right now!

PirateLover
07-15-2008, 11:18 AM
I was sooo nervous the first time I died my hair permanently myself. I went from medium brown to a medium red. That went well and I got emboldened and decided I wanted it more red, and picked a lighter color in the same brand (Loreal Feria). I was cringing the whole time, nervous that it was going to come out terribly, but it worked! And my color is now great and easy to keep up with. Plus, It's only $9 a box as opposed to $40 to keep up with it at the salon.... so that is obviously WHY you tried to do it yourself. I'm sorry it didn't work out as well for you though!!!!

I think that it's harder to work with blonde tones because they really take color easily and you can overdo it. Also once you start getting into mixing color like that you are in dangerous territory. BUT your results could have been worse... I've had friends come out with the ugliest orange hair, purpleish blue hair etc as a result of DIY dyes. It sounds like even though it isn't right for you, the color didn't come out too bad and as others said I'm sure you still look great! Lesson learned.;)

kakn7294
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one to ever do this!! :D What in the world was I thinking??You're not the only one to ever do this... enough said. :blush:

conorsmom2000
07-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Can you use some extra conditioners to help strengthen the hair?

That's exactly what I plan to do - I have very thick, dry, coarse hair, so I can't wash it every day - so, I figure 2 weeks of strong conditioning every other day should get it ready! :thumbsup:

That evening was my first blind date with my husband and he still to this day swears that my pink hair was one of the things that made him fall in love with me.

Kay, that's a great story!!! :D

Any chance it might tone it self down with a few extra washes or anything? (again, never colored mine before, not sure how these things hold up).

Yep, it will.....the color is permanent, but all colors fade after a few washings. If I really wanted to strip it, I could wash it with either Dawn, Tide or even Prell shampoo (Prell strips color for some reason) but I don't want to put my hair through that! But, just regular washings will help.

The red was a shock. Not because of my hair-but because of what washed out, and covered my tub and shower walls!! It was what Psycho's shower scene would have looked like if it was filmed in color.

Another redhead told me the same thing about washing it out!!

I have a box of ultra light blonde under my sink right now!

:funny:

I think that it's harder to work with blonde tones because they really take color easily and you can overdo it. Also once you start getting into mixing color like that you are in dangerous territory.

I've actually colored my hair at home before and have mixed colors a lot and it always works well (as long as you stay in the same basic shade family). But, I think the red is what did me in - and is why it came out so dark! I've never messed around with red tones before and I will never, ever again! :D :D

But, I have to say, a friend just told me that it's not as dark as I think is - but, it definitely feels like it to me. As someone else said, it feels like a wig....that I can't take off!! :hide: And, I'll be honest - I've gotten lots of compliments on it....so it's either better than I think it is or people are very kind!! :rotfl: It just doesn't feel natural at all, you know?

Live and learn!!! :blush:

FlaTinkRAMESAM
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
My friend has been wanting to color her hair... herself... after years of getting it proff done at a salon... I will let her read this...lol

At least it isn't a bleach blond dyed over in fuschia (thank-you for too much independence in college... just the very front, very back, and bits throughout...lol)!

I bet you still look amazin!

disneydrmr
07-15-2008, 03:21 PM
I've never had any issues with coloring my hair.. I've not done it often.. I'm a natural redhead (a light red) and I've only gone to lighter shades of red... NOW there was this one time I helped a friend color her hair....the color didn't agree with her and she ended up with some really pretty orange streaks.. hmmm.. we're no longer friends now... I wonder.....

SgtTigger
07-15-2008, 07:09 PM
nope i have never had this problem.........

ever..........

Oh yea i am a guy :haha:

:cop: :tigger:

azdisneymom
07-15-2008, 07:58 PM
You won't see me laugh. I tried a home perm once back in the early 80's. Just wanted a little loose curl and ended up looking like little Orphan Annie instead. :blush:

conorsmom2000
07-15-2008, 08:14 PM

ever..........

:funny: :funny:

Well, you may not have this problem - but if we were talking about who's singed their eyebrows, etc., from slightly out of control BBQ's, I bet you'd have a story or two.... :D :whistle:

tinkerbellybutton
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Jen, Hailey did her own hair several times including this past weekend. But this one time she came out and her hair looked like a tiger, stripes, I kid you not. It took about 3 different dye kits to get it back to somewhat normal. ;)

DisneyDog
07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Oh, I am so sorry that happened to you! I would never be so brave, so I have a lot of respect for you for trying.

Men have it too easy. My DH shaves his head. Doesn't ever have to pay $$$ to get stuff done to his hair. Yesterday he went on a business trip. This morning my DS5 says "I miss Daddy. I wonder if he's still bald." :laughing:

Ed
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM

ever..........

:cop: :tigger:

That's not an automatic disqualifier, Bret. :nono:

My oldest brother was tired of his prematurely-grey hair, and decided to try Grecian Formula to bring it back to the dark brown he had in his earlier years. He also did his beard at the same time.

Let's just say that the end result made him a big hit at St. Patrick's Day parties! :gold: :stpattys:

He quickly realized that the grey gave him a certain air of sophistication, unlike his temporary dye job! :D