PDA

View Full Version : adding on points

ldc12377
07-14-2008, 09:44 PM
My mom is in the process on buying 100 points at BCV. She eventually would like to add points but she isn't sure the best way to handle it. She would like to have a total of about 200 points. With the new rules about changing reservations at the 7-month mark (all or nothing), if she is wanting to try different resorts(AKL or VWL), then should she buy small contracts at each of those (say 50 points at each). She plans to go to WDW every other year so she would have 200 points at BCV, 100 points at AKL, and 100 points at VWL to use for each trip. Switching resort throughout the trip doesn't bother her. If she did her points this way, would the points from each resort be considered a different reservations so if she wanted to switch that portion of the reservation would it be allowed without having to give up her BCV? (For example she could try staying at BWV during one trip instead of staying to AKL) Hope makes sense. We are new at this so it will take some time to figure it all out,

FiggyFan
07-15-2008, 09:23 PM
As I'm sure you know, points from each resort have home resort priority (11 month window) only at their home resort. To take advantage of the 11 month window, your mother would have to make separate reservations at each home resort, and be ready to switch resorts during the trip. These would be separate reservations, and could be changed or cancelled independently.

Once the 7 month window opens, your mother would have the option of cancelling one (or more) of the reservations at one resort and re-booking at another. I believe that she would have the option of either extending the existing reservation or making a separate reservation. Extending the existing reservation has the advantage of reducing the check-in / check-out paperwork during the trip, and also guaranetees that she will not have to switch rooms during her extended stay.

One more point. If you mother is only travelling every other year, she will have to be careful about banking and borrowing to avoid losing points. I think that the more small reservations she has and the more home resorts she owns, the harder this is to keep track of, as she will probably have a few stray points at each of several resorts. You may have to help her out a bit by taking a quick weekend trip now and then to use them up! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
07-26-2008, 09:35 PM
One thing I recommend is that you get all your separate contracts for the same month of your use year. If your mom is planning on useing all these points (which if I understand what you are saying she will have 400 combined points every 2 years?) for the same vacation you will want the same 11 month window for each separate property so that you can book the entire vacation at the same time. :mickey: