PDA

View Full Version : Is there something going on?

EeyoresBestFriend
07-14-2008, 03:29 PM
It seems that alot of things at the World are closing down ~ Popular or otherwise.:( Is there something going on with WDW? Are they just redirecting, getting cheaper?? I find it hard to be the economy because the prices are still going up and the entertainment seems to be disappearing.

Any one got any thoughts or the scoop?:confused:

wdwfansince75
07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Not sure what "closures" you mean. When we were there in June, everything was open. The only exceptions I can think of were the attractions in the Life pavilion at Epcot, but they have been closed for several years. While some others have been through recent rehabs, everything was working while we were there. If you mean some of the resturant changes, and the PI closures, these seem to be business decisions. Since we rarely go to DD, and never to PI, perhaps we just didn't notice the changes.

GrumpyFan
07-14-2008, 04:01 PM
It seems that alot of things at the World are closing down ~ Popular or otherwise.:(

What "things" are you referring to closing down?

EeyoresBestFriend
07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, I meant like the character breakies and dinners, PI ( although I don't vacation at WDW to drink or club), stage shows. It just seems alot of things are closing down or being discontinued and not alot of new things are being introduced. Alot of the things in line also now longer work ( i'm thinking of test track where all the different stations used to work fairly often - not once every 25 minutes.)
I still remember how great it was in 2000 when there were street entertainers and crowd entertainers for the parades or fantasmic while you waited. Seemed so much more magical. I also still VERY MUCH miss the animators at WDW.
It almost seems that the small entertainments that make Disney so special are slowly getting shelved.

Jasper
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Disney goes through spells like this every so often. While it has been a while since they made wholesale changes to one specific area of the resort like they are doing with PI it really is nothing more than Disney making a business decision that something is either not working well in its business plan or perhaps it us just dated and is time to do something different.

Frankly after going through the drought years with Eisner, Pressler, and others I see this as a welcome change! Yes change can be difficult if they take out an attraction that was especially dear to you but in the end it will offer guests a fresher experience with new things to do.

CAS
07-14-2008, 04:54 PM
You mean like live steel bands nightly at Port Royale in CBR? Or New Years Eve every night at PI? Or a street merchant, performer or character on every corner of World Showcase?

I know what you mean. It used to be more personal. But if the bean counters can't track an income as a result of an expense then they do away with the expense. :(

mickey&missy
07-14-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm under the impression that PI is closing because it is no longer drawing the crowd it used to. Also, the crowd it's drawing now is different then it used to be and I heard something about people not feeling safe there anymore.

I'm not sure why the character meals and Pochahontas show are closing. Everything runs its course. They need to keep the crowds rolling in. If everything where the same every time it would be boring!

Imagineer1981
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
I have to agree though, when you look at the front page, all you see now is closings on Intercot...kinda sad

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-14-2008, 06:06 PM
PI hasn't drawn the crowds that it used to a few years ago. Then it would be crowded in the"street" too. And they did try to get it going again by making it open to walk through. Even that didn't generate the business.
But I know what you mean about doing away with entertainment/entertainers. Walking through Hollywood Studios you used to run into Street Entertainers everywhere. You don't seem to see as much as you used to but maybe I'm just hitting it at the wrong time. At least Off Kilter seems to be staying put! And they do still seem to have a lot of entertainment around the World Showcase. I hope they continue that.

dumbo ears
07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I dont think there are a lot of closures at wdw. if anything disney is expanding with the new 4 seasons going in and they are still making new rides and expanding. disney is doing the opposite of the economy and expanding. its making money hand over fists. so other than the closing of pleasure island, which its not really closing just takin the 6 club out and adding new and better experiences for the whole family. so my view is that disney is still expanding

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Maybe it's because I work there and stay put, but I can say that the citizens are out more than ever now, especially at Main Street. They do more shows and skits, they interact more often and for longer, perhaps it's just the timing of when you are out. Even the MS Band now has their out set of skits they perform.

As for Pocahontas, I love her as a character but this show left me disappointed and I was rather bored with it. I'm glad to see it leaving.

I'm a bit conflicted with how I feel about PI closing. I will say that I see more OCPD there now than I ever did, and a lot more teenagers there who are being dropped off as a babysitting service for the night because their parents don't want to deal with them (and I'm referring to locals). I will miss some parts of it, especially when it comes to meeting new people outside of work.

I'm quite sad about LTT being taken out, especially since that one was better themed than some of the other character meals.

And I think it is the economy, as much as you would like to think otherwise. I've sat there, watching as there are fewer people out on the streets for the parades, and fireworks. People aren't coming in on the days when it should be busiest. Yes, things are going up because they aren't having the attendance they are used to, people are buying as much as they used to, and they can't really cut back our payroll since we are already at minimum. Also, I can say we are definitely hiring more internationals now, A LOT more. The majority of the Emporium is now staffed by international CM's from Brazil, China, and France.