PDA

View Full Version : My wife is phobic about all amusement part rides....

CharlieBrown
07-14-2008, 09:22 AM
So she has pretty much vetoed every mention of a WDW vacation.

Here's my question: is there some sort of published list of intensity ratings for WDW rides? For example, Big Thunder Mountain is more intense than the Dumbo ride, but less intense than Twilight Zone Tower.

I would like to be able to plan to visit rides that she will be OK with.

Also, is there a list anywhere of rides that offer the "single rider" line? Those rides would offer an opportunity for me to ride by myself without having to ditch her for long periods of time.

waymickey
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
YOu can find lots of books at your local bookstore that have the intensity ratings of the rides. My daughter can't go on anything too intense so I have gone to B&N sat onthe floor and did research.

CharlieBrown
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Names of specific books would be appreciated.

:)

krose78
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/misc/singleriderline.asp

Kairi_7378
07-14-2008, 10:01 AM
I like the ride reviews in the Unofficial Guide to Disney World. They have an intensity scale and explain what makes them intense.

There are lots of shows and dark rides at WDW... plenty to do if you don't want to do anything "intense!" I hope that you can convince her to go.

TexasPrincessAurora
07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
I can promise she will find plenty to enjoy. DH and I went to WDW on our honeymoon and it was his first trip to the World. He hates thrill rides and detests Six Flags because he doesn't enjoy 90% of the rides there. It took me forever to convince him that WDW wasn't like that. Now he is hooked. There is so much to enjoy at WDW...the thrill rides and intense rides are a very small part of what's available.

SBETigg
07-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Disney calls most rides "attractions" because there is so much more going on than just a "ride." If she has never been to a Disney park, she probably won't get it until she arrives, but there's no real need for worry. There's so much that she can enjoy and do. Yes, some things may be too intense, but I would recommend getting away from the idea of intensity ratings and just getting into the experience.

Once she gets in to a park, she will begin to realize how very different it is from any kind of amusement park she has visited. Better to read descriptions of attractions and know what to expect than to think in terms of intensity ratings. That said, generally reconsider anything with a height restriction or health warning, with the exception of perhaps Soarin' which has both but is really a mild ride.

EmmMOM2
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
I wont let my kids on the carnival rides that are the ones they take down and setup in a matter of days. They just make me nervous.

I also HATE roller coasters or any ride that could be seemingly dangerous.

BUT though i'm a little like your wife i LOVE DISNEY!! Like PP said tis not an amusement park really and the rides are more magical and like an adventure then they are rides.

She can simply skip the ones she wants to the faster paced stuff...

It was designed for families and their are very few rides we dont ALL go on.

HTH

c&d
07-14-2008, 10:34 AM
If she's not OK with going on the rides I would focus on all the other things to do at Disney. Walking around the world at Epcot, the different shows that are available at the parks. The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is wonderful. The parades, the different dining experiences. There's so much more to Disney than the rides.

Some rides she can easily do, Small World, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion and TTA in the Magic Kingdom, Safari ride at Animal Kingdom, Spaceship Earth at Epcot. I can't think of any off the top of my head at Disney Studios. The behind the scenes tours at the different parks.

Really talk up all the other aspects of Disney besides the rides. She might just change her mind. ;)

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
:) Disney classifies some of the rides as big thrills, mild but wild, fun for little ones etc...and you can check that out on their official website....also,check out books like The Passporter or Unofficial Guide for more indepth descriptions.....you may also want to peruse the Theme Parks threads on intercot for various threads on specific rides

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
If she's not OK with going on the rides I would focus on all the other things to do at Disney. Walking around the world at Epcot, the different shows that are available at the parks. The Lion King show at Animal Kingdom is wonderful. The parades, the different dining experiences. There's so much more to Disney than the rides.

Some rides she can easily do, Small World, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion and TTA in the Magic Kingdom, Safari ride at Animal Kingdom, Spaceship Earth at Epcot. I can't think of any off the top of my head at Disney Studios. The behind the scenes tours at the different parks.

Really talk up all the other aspects of Disney besides the rides. She might just change her mind. ;)

:thumbsup: Very good advice, my mother is not big on rides either, she will go on Peter Pan, Pirates of the Caribbean etc....however, there is so much at Disney you could spend entire days visiting non ride attractions and still have a great vacation

Jenemmy
07-14-2008, 10:46 AM
I have another suggestion for you...something I have used on different family members who were uncertain of a ride. If you go to you tube, you can type in the name of an attraction and chances are someone will have posted a video of the ride itself. Not always exceptional quality, but it does really give you an idea of what to expect. (It convinced my mother NOT to try Exp. Everest -- oops!)

Another thing to consider is that many of the big attractions have fun pre shows and interesting queue lines. Your wife can always accompany you through this phase of the attraction and then tell the ride attendant that she does not want to ride just before you get on. I'm pretty sure all the biggies have graceful exits at the end of the queue/pre show. That way, you would only be leaving her for the length of the ride itself...a few minutes, tops :mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Are you kidding me?

Small World is easily the most terrifying ride there!

I've got a stomach of steel but that's the one ride that always gets me! :sick::ack:

Goes4FastPass
07-14-2008, 11:42 AM
As an earlier reply siad, The Unofficial Guide to Disney World has ride intensity ratings but,

I don't think any sort of words on paper or statistics or testimonials by little kids who love EE will help your situation because,

Your DW's viewpoint is, to use your word, a phobia.

The logical thing to do here would be to approach WDW as simply the safest way to experience rides, attractions, whatever you call them. Disney attractions are made and maintained to do what they do every day all day long.

You could go, start with things (1) that are obviously not scary like the train around the MK and 'rides' where the motion itself is not scary like POTC or the Haunted Mansion and you could encourage her to try more things as she becomes more comfortable.

My niece was terrified when she was 5 and I talked her into SpMtn. She had seen the splashdown from outside the attrcaction and the whole ride she kept asking, "When is the splash?!"

I reminded her, "When we go down the chute we're gonna yell, "Ha! Ha! Ha!"

Me: "There's Br'er Bear!"
Her: "When is the splash?!"
Me: "Look at those bees!
Me: "Yeah! It's the Laughing Place!"

Then when we got near the end, " I told here, "Oh boy! We're going back to the briar patch! Remember, ha, ha, ha!"

Her: "Oh No!"
Me: "Ha ha ha!"
Her: "It's to high!"
Me: "HA HA HA!"
Her: Screeeeeeeemmmmmmm.....
then, seconds after the splashdown,
Her: "That was fun! Let's ride again!

So, maybe if you can get your DW to try something that's outside her comfort zone she may like it.

thrillme
07-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Are you kidding me?

Small World is easily the most terrifying ride there!

:

HA HA...I have to agree...you will be HAUNTED by the lyrics for YEARS to come.

bruin1344
07-14-2008, 01:07 PM
try the tamer thrill rides like thunder mountain, test track, soarin, or splash mountain usually people who hate rollercoasters at six flags etc. likes those rides

Jasper
07-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Also, be sure you explain to her that all the thrill rides have a "chicken/child" exit just before boarding on the ride. That means she can wait in line with you and enjoy all the great theming that Disney has in all of their line areas. As an example, Tower of Terror and Rock-n-Roller coaster have really neat pre-show areas that anyone can enjoy without ever having to get on the ride.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Also, be sure you explain to her that all the thrill rides have a "chicken/child" exit just before boarding on the ride. That means she can wait in line with you and enjoy all the great theming that Disney has in all of their line areas. As an example, Tower of Terror and Rock-n-Roller coaster have really neat pre-show areas that anyone can enjoy without ever having to get on the ride.

:chicken: Yep, used that myself on Space Mountain:funny:

andreallybadeggs
07-14-2008, 03:14 PM
I recommend getting the Disney planning video.
Also, perhaps it would help if you told your wife that the reason many big thrill seekers don't like WDW is exactly why she should give it a try. People who want the big roller coasters, head to Universal or Cedar Point. With the few exceptions that your wife can easily pick out on any Disney map (see info central here or go to Disney's official site) most attractions are what the thrill seekers would call "lame" but Disney-lovers call "charming". With wonderful shows, outstanding entertainers, good dining options, a whole range of resort options, and attention to detail and service, Disney creates an ambiance that truly takes you away from the real world--and they absolutely do it better than anyone else.
Doesn't matter if you want an Energizer Bunny or a Calgon-take-me-away type experience; there's plenty to keep you frantically busy or you can opt for the most laid back vacation of your life. I love the thrill rides but if they shut them all down, I'd still go and have a great time. Hope you can convince her; she'll thank you later.:thumbsup:
P.S. Welcome to Intercot :)

CharlieBrown
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
thanks to all.
good advice all around

MidnTPK
07-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I also HATE roller coasters or any ride that could be seemingly dangerous.

I don't think any sort of words on paper or statistics or testimonials by little kids who love EE will help your situation because,

Your DW's viewpoint is, to use your word, a phobia.
I'll offer the suggestion that people who have these irrational fears/phobias ought to seek some professional help from psychologists or psychiatrists.

It's irrational to think that your safer in your car than on Space Mountain. Thousands of people die in car accidents every month....and only 1 in like 100 million people ever get hurt on WDW rides.

KAJUNKING
07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
there is so many other things to do other than rides, live shows, slow moving attractions, great places to dine you can surely enjoy yourself in disney without any of the thrill rides

Seasonscraps
07-15-2008, 03:43 PM
I would try to sell her on the ambiance, shows, theming, spas, restaurants, shopping, etc. If that doesn't work, I would just drop it. If she is phobic about going, she will likely have a horrible vacation and in turn so would you. I feel that way about cruises - I am not exactly phobic about it but there's something about them that makes me uncomfortable. My DH would like to go on one but knows I would be miserable so he doesn't push the issue.

MickeyChick
07-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Six Flags is nothing like Disney and I highly recommend YouTube for previewing the rides. Even if your wife never steps foot on any ride at Disney, you can easily fill your days with shows, shopping and people watching.

Fantasmic
07-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Not one of the parks in WDW bears any resembelence to an amusment park !

RALPH
07-16-2008, 09:17 PM
"With wonderful shows, outstanding entertainers, good dining options, a whole range of resort options, and attention to detail and service, Disney creates an ambiance that truly takes you away from the real world--and they absolutely do it better than anyone else. "

This says it all and in itself is a big reason to go. I am not a coaster person, and I can handle em all, except I will not go on mission space. I would encourage her to go and stay off that, TOT, RNR, SM, and EE. The rest are very tame. My 68 year old mother in law did TT and SM without a problem.

Push the shows, the fine dining and the service. Use the chicken line like I do in TOT, and you ride. She will love WDW, she just does not know it.

dizknee531
07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
No worries... I remember buying Birnbaum's Walt Disney world for kids. It was pretty helpful for EVERYONE of ANY Age. Hope this helps. :mickey:

RALPH
07-17-2008, 06:57 AM
My wife is not a ride person. But she loves all the shows and other things the WDW provides. It took me 8 years to get my wife to do Splash Mountain. Now she does it every time. She does big thunder as ther are no drops. She does not do SM, EE. She did RNR once, but passes on it now. My wife in a rare loss of judgement (against my wishes) even did mission space...although she wished she did not.:ill::sick:

I would make a list for her of all the "rides" with thrill values and see which ones she would do vs not riding. Lets take MK as an example of things she could most likely do with a ride phobia with NO problem.

Laugh Floor show
Buzz Lightyear
WDW people mover ?
Grand Prix racing cars
Snow White
Peter Pan
Mikey's Philharmagic
Small World
Haunted Mansion
POTC
Boat ride in Adventureland
Country Bear Jamboree
Enchanted Tiki Birds

Plus shows and entertainment, shopping.

Thats quite a touring list and you have not even ventured onto any of the thrilling, but tame mountains, Splash, Big Thunder, & Space. Remember, I am not a coaster or spinny ride guy. So I come from the chicken side of the isle. I DONT DO DROPS! PERIOD! END OF STORY!

Then you have some nice dining options, shopping, and the beautiful Wishes fireworks display. Sounds like a neat vacation day or days to me.

If you compliment it with a nice WDW hotel, characters, etc you have the makings of one nice vacation.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Let your DW read our comments. Even better ask questions. It would be a shame for here "ride fear" to prevent her from enjoying all thet WDW had to offer for us chickens.

RALPH
07-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I just noticed the poster got Banned! How the heck do you accomplish that on this site with 8 posts? Sheez!

Goes4FastPass
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
I just noticed the poster got Banned! How the heck do you accomplish that on this site with 8 posts? Sheez!Perhaps Charlie just got put in the corner for a while. Maybe the less said the better.

Every time I walk down Main Street I tell myself it's great to be back. WDW is 42 square miles but for me, Main Street USA is the heart of the heart. Maybe that's the DVC decision, when you realize, " I want to do this again and again."