PDA

View Full Version : Tanning in the Epcot Area resorts

Disney_Barbie
07-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I know this sounds crazy, but I'd like to jump in a tanning bed a couple of times on our upcoming trip (standard bulb bed, not spray on or salon-application of self tanning lotion) @ the Dolphin. Ideally, it'd be great to go right in our resort, but I haven't been able to find any info. I did see on info central that there was "tanning equipment" in the gym @ Boardwalk & Beach Culb but I didn't know how that would work, would I have to pay the "health club fee" in order to just jump in & use the tanning bed, it seems silly to pay that much since we'll already have access to the dolphin gym. Any suggestions?
PS - I don't mean to be bitter, but please only serious helpfull answers to my asked question. So many people are so anti-tanning that I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of "advise" and rude comentary on my question. Please keep your opions on tanning to yourself and please only answer if you have information that would be usefull to my question asked. Thank you!

Minnie Imagineer
07-14-2008, 09:14 AM
Disney Health Clubs that have 'tanning equipment' are:

Coronado Springs - La Vida Health Club
BoardWalk - Muscles & Bustles Health Club
Contemporary - Olympiad Fitness Center

1 Day Membership - $15+.00 per person
Individual Length of Stay - $25.00+ per person
Family Length of Stay - $45.00 (Up to five people.)

I think if you are staying at one of these resorts, you may not have to pay the charge

KH
07-14-2008, 10:53 AM
Since I try not to tan, I have a question. This isn't advice, just a sincere question. Doesn't the sun work? You'll be in Florida at a resort with a beautiful pool. Is there something about a tanning bed that makes it a better way to tan?:confused:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, the way I look at it - if I'm going to get cancer for getting dark, I'll take the natural cancer over the artificial cancer. :D

I agree - Florida sun is pretty nice.

And if you're worried about being in a swimsuit in front of others (I'm a larger gal myself), I just say "There's always someone who will look stranger than you. ALWAYS"

Disney_Barbie
07-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Since I try not to tan, I have a question. This isn't advice, just a sincere question. Doesn't the sun work? You'll be in Florida at a resort with a beautiful pool. Is there something about a tanning bed that makes it a better way to tan?:confused:

Things might be different for people of different skin-tones and such not, but for me, no, the florida sun will not produce the same results as a tanning bed. For one thing, a tanning bed is a controlled environment, so I get just the right amout of tan without burning, where as being on vaca and being out in the FL sun all day long, is uncontrolled and I might get too much sun, thus put on sun-screen. Plus, you just don't get the even coverage from the real sun that you get from a tanning bed, we're pretty active, so we generally don't just LIE in the sun, we're doing things, which often means that like my arms/shoulders/tops of my feet get LOTS of color, but my face, legs & stomach are normally shaded and end up signifigantly pailer than I'd like to be. I supose to a non-tanner you wouldnt' think there would be a difference. And perhaps for some skin types there is no difference, but for me my ideal would be to jump in a tanning bed for 10 mins every other day and then be fulled sun-screened while out in the sun. Probably just a matter of taste

Minnie Imagineer
07-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Plus, you just don't get the even coverage from the real sun that you get from a tanning bed, we're pretty active, so we generally don't just LIE in the sun, we're doing things, which often means that like my arms/shoulders/tops of my feet get LOTS of color, but my face, legs & stomach are normally shaded and end up signifigantly pailer than I'd like to be.

I don't tan but I agree with Disney_Barbie: in the spring when the uv rays are out to get everyone, I play lacrosse and get major tan lines! The worst is the 'sock tan' which leaves my feet completly white and my legs tan. I have a shorts tan so my mid thigh down is tan. And then there is the favorite 'farmers tan' which when at practice, gives a little above my elbow down a tan, and at games my shoulder down a tan...so its kind of like i'm dip-dyed for summer!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-15-2008, 06:12 PM
Or the driver's tan - where the left arm is always significantly darker than the right.

Plus, I am very guilty of the farmer's tan.

Tinkerfreak
07-17-2008, 10:31 AM
Please don't feel judged because you use a tanning bed. That is none of our business!!! I'm glad you got some good info and I hope you have a great vacation and a golden tan.

SurferStitch
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm like the OP. Now, I don't use a tanning bed...I prefer my tan from a bottle. On my skin it works very well, but I know it's not for everyone's skin. That way I avoid the UV rays of a tanning bed.

I can totally relate to the uneven tans from the sun. I never get an even tan, and I don't have the patience to lie in the sun while turning perfectly to get the perfect tan, which never seems to come anyway.

I like a controlled tan, and that way I can wear the prescribed UV protection during the day, and not worry about an uneven tan. A few minutes in the morning (about 10 with drying time), and I get a wonderful glow in a few hours, plus it moisturizes my skin.

While the tanning beds at WDW might not be as cheap as at a regular place at home, it looks like you could just pay the $25 for the length of stay membership, and that way you can go as many times as you like!

MNNHFLTX
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
If you are a guest at any of the resorts listed above, you wouldn't have to pay to have use of the health club facilities. However, I'm pretty sure you will have to pay for use of the tanning equipment, as they classify that as a spa-type treatment. I'm not sure what the going rate is though. Maybe you could call up the health club ahead of time to inquire?

MMouse6937
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
I've never tanned at a WDW facility, but that is an interesting question. I tan here at home a few times a week and find that right before my vacation I go almost every day for about a week to "bulk up" my tan and that way I'm not so worried about it when I get there. I also find that way I'm more prone to wear sunscreen and not try to sunbathe, this way I don't spend most of my vacation with a sunburn...ouch.

I hope you have a great trip!