PDA

View Full Version : Archery at Ft Wilderness

SFTrny
07-13-2008, 10:15 PM
I heard that they have started a new Archery event on Thurs, Fri, and Sat at FW. Has anyone tried this yet? Where do they hold the archery lessons and what is it like?

medic9016
07-13-2008, 11:08 PM
I have seen a few pictures on a different site. It was setup next to the Medows pool on the shuffle board court. I think it is $25 for 30 min of instruction.

ayeckley
07-14-2008, 12:43 PM
It was supposed to open on July 3, but as of this weekend (July 12) they weren't taking reservations via the advertised phone number (1-800-WDW-PLAY). We were advised to call back again in a few days.:confused:

LKCEmom
07-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I've been at Ft Wilderness since July 1st, I have not seen or heard anything about archery but I'm going to see what I can find out since this is my last weekend here. :pout:
My son would love this.

LKCEmom
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
:archer:
I checked with my son and yes there is archery lessons at/near the shuffleboard court. I was told it is $25 and you use the same arrow over and over.

Sounds fun to me but DS didn't want to do it after watching.

ayeckley
07-27-2008, 05:27 PM
My DD12 and DD6 did this a couple of days ago. You still can't reserve it through CRO; you have to make reservations at the Bike Barn. It's on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and runs from 2:45 through 4:15 (90 minutes). The cost is $25 per person. Vinnie is the instructor, and he's assisted by one of the lifeguards. They start by covering safety, and then move to instructional things. They start close to the targets, and gradually move farther away as the kids get better. At the end, they have an informal competition among the participants and give out little prizes. They use compound bows, not long bows or crossbows. There's a good selection to accomodate kids of all sizes. Each kid has a quiver of four or five arrows, which they shoot and retrieve in rounds. It's located directly next to the shuffleboard courts. I split time between watching them and swimming in the Meadows pool.

When we participated there were our two girls, and another brother/sister pair. It looks like they can accomodate up to five kids per session. Vinnie told me that since they started about a month ago, they have slightly more girls than boys participate.

If anyone has any specific questions I can try to answer them. DD6 was bothered by the bugs (which I didn't even notice, but you might want to put on some mosquito repellant). DD12 says I'm supposed to give this review a thumbs-up icon, so: :thumbsup: