PDA

View Full Version : 'Kali River Rapids', any hills

disneycutie165
07-13-2008, 09:01 AM
My mom bought an Imagineer book about Animal Kingdom, and it said that KRR had a huge drop. Is it true, and how long is it?:( I've been a little leary of the ride since she told me:paranoid:

Speedy1998
07-13-2008, 09:06 AM
IT is pretty big. The hill is where most people get wet. If you are on the downside of the raft when you get to the bottom you will get soaked.

WDWdriver
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't call it a "drop". It's more like a big water slide. You won't feel like you are falling. It's not at all like the stomach wrenching drop at Splash Mountain.

crazypoohbear
07-13-2008, 09:49 AM
It definately is NOT a drop! so don't worry about that.
It is more like a slope. Think sledding down a hill on a sled as opposed to going down a water slide or splash mountain.
It is very graduated in it's angle there is nothing to worry about... unless you are in the wrong seat:D

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
You'll be too concerned about who'll be getting soaked to worry about the actual drop. It's not steep...just very wet.

Here we go again...
07-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Everyone is being honest with you. The drop is not that large.
The thing is that you drop into a big pool of swirling water and who ever ends up on the side the is going down gets completely drenched. There is no way to control it... and no matter how many times I ride and think I am safe, it turns at the last minute and I get a full bath.

So, if you want to stay dry... look for me on the ride.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Everyone is being honest with you. The drop is not that large.
The thing is that you drop into a big pool of swirling water and who ever ends up on the side the is going down gets completely drenched. There is no way to control it... and no matter how many times I ride and think I am safe, it turns at the last minute and I get a full bath.

So, if you want to stay dry... look for me on the ride.

:swim: Oh no that sounds like my luck....we are trying it for the first time this December and are taking some good advice and making it the last ride of the day so we can go back to Pop and change.

Young@Heart
07-13-2008, 11:47 AM
The "drop" isn't bad at all, nothing like SplM. And, IMO, it's the best part of the ride! I hate a "water ride" that doesn't get anyone wet. Disney knows how to do a raft ride right! :thumbsup:

Figment52
07-13-2008, 12:16 PM
:swim: Oh no that sounds like my luck....we are trying it for the first time this December and are taking some good advice and making it the last ride of the day so we can go back to Pop and change.

Not sure if they're still there, but they did have large air blowers at the exit of the ride. In Dec 2000, when it was super cold outside, they were blowing hot air. And boy did it come in handy when we were crazy enough to ride in 30 degree weather!:laughing:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Not sure if they're still there, but they did have large air blowers at the exit of the ride. In Dec 2000, when it was super cold outside, they were blowing hot air. And boy did it come in handy when we were crazy enough to ride in 30 degree weather!:laughing:

;) That would be nice!

Nurse Kim
07-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I am a big chicken when it comes to hills, drops, or other stuff like that. I rode Kali and the drop is no big deal. It's not really a drop. Like a previous poster said it's more like a slope. Everyone in our raft was soaked by the end of the ride. We seen alot of people wearing their ponchos for this ride.

My kids enjoyed standing on the bridge after we got off and pushed a button to some sprayers that would get people in the raft wet.

WDWdriver
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Sorry, the jet dryer is not used anymore. It produced an open flame that guests wanted to get too close to. It was a safety hazard.

Minnie Imagineer
07-14-2008, 09:05 AM
wow I didn't know KRR had any 'drops'. I've never been on it before but next time i'll go on
I hate that stomach dropping feeling drops give you-so I'm happy everyone doesn't think its big!
:mickey:

BMan62
07-14-2008, 09:08 AM
There is no way to control it... and no matter how many times I ride and think I am safe, it turns at the last minute and I get a full bath.

Last time I was on this, there were three other 'big' guys - I'm 5' 10" 300#, and I was the smallest of the four - and we were all on the same side of the raft. Needless to say, the weight all shifted to the 'low' side and we went crashing into the pool with a great deal of momentum. The wave that we created actually crested over us and drenched the women on the other side of the raft!!! :blush:

One little hint/note/warning: Do NOT wear white or something that is see through when wet on this ride!!!! :thedolls:

Tinkerfreak
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Last time I was on this, there were three other 'big' guys - I'm 5' 10" 300#, and I was the smallest of the four - and we were all on the same side of the raft. Needless to say, the weight all shifted to the 'low' side and we went crashing into the pool with a great deal of momentum. The wave that we created actually crested over us and drenched the women on the other side of the raft!!! :blush:

One little hint/note/warning: Do NOT wear white or something that is see through when wet on this ride!!!! :thedolls:

I second that, do not wear white. The last time we rode there was young girl wearing white pants and as soon as she got wet you could see right through them. She was trying to cover herself when she got off the ride but it was like she was standing in her underwear.:blush: I felt bad for the poor thing.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-14-2008, 11:11 AM

:blush: Oh no, how embarassing

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Actually, just don't wear white to Disney....ever.

Because while you might avoid the water rides, there is one you can't avoid - rain.

And let me tell you, these past few days....I've seen some interesting undergarments. Or some who had none.

#1donaldfan
07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
The hill is very minimal, but wet !!:mickey:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-14-2008, 06:38 PM
The slope is more of a whoosh than a zoom. No stomach dropping involved.
We are the among the ones who wear ponchos on this ride. I have no desire to get wet by that icky water or to run around the rest of the day soaked. I even wear my poncho on Splash Mtn.
And don't wear denim on this ride either because that takes forever to dry. I almost broke down and bought another pair of shorts one day because my denim shorts got soaked! But I was too cheap. Wearing them was not a comfortable feeling though.

lebo
07-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Another tip, is try and bring an extra set of clothes with you. Last time I went on it, it was early in the day and I ended up wearing wet clothes the entire day. Ended up in the motel room for 2 days with a fever and eating Chicken Soup! What a Vacation??????????

Gee Wally
07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
as said by everyone else , the "drop" is really nothing more than a "slide".

When we go to AK and since we LOVE this ride when it's hot, we all wear our bathing suits and a nylon type of T shirt.

Get soaked...and then just dry a few minutes later.

Than do it again !

:thumbsup:

KAJUNKING
07-15-2008, 03:03 PM
i really enjoy this ride, but not a fan of walking around the parks wet so we avoid it

andreallybadeggs
07-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually, just don't wear white to Disney....ever.

Because while you might avoid the water rides, there is one you can't avoid - rain.

And let me tell you, these past few days....I've seen some interesting undergarments. Or some who had none.

Note to self...leave the white shorts and polka dot skivvies at home or risk being the object of Cap'n Jessica's Jeers :D

atnextc
07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
The "Drop" or big slide as it really is is aprox. 30 feet, but as stated before its not bad at all.

:mickey:

MegaDisney
07-16-2008, 08:30 PM
As everyone said it is not that bad.

The drop on GRR at DCA is about the same size but has a mechanism at the top that spins the raft as it goes over the top of the drop, so you spin the ENTIRE way down the drop and never know who is gonna be in the splash zone, they should add that to Kali!

dixiepixie
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
I've only ridden this once, and was lucky not to be the one soaked. The drop doesn't feel like a drop at all, and I promise the only thing you are thinking about is not getting wet. I have avoided it since, not wanting to spend my day in wet clothes but I think I'm going to try it with a poncho next time. Do they really keep you dry if you are "the one"? The poor girl in my raft might as well have jumped in the water she was so drenched.