PDA

View Full Version : San Angel Inn or Garden Grill

the other micki
07-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Where to eat for dinner? It will be me, DH, DD 14 & DSs 8 and 6. We have a Chef Mickey's ressie later in the week, so characters aren't of the utmost importance, but more food and atmosphere.

Also, my Dad and Stepmom will be with us. Last trip, we gave them a dinner all to themselves at Chefs de France. I'd like to do the same this time. What are your opionions on this? I was thinking maybe Tutto Italia or Teppen Edo?

Thanks!!!

Clay Ransone
07-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Go with the Garden Grill. The food and service are very good. It is also pretty cool to look down into the Living With The Land boat ride and see things from above. I also really liked the catfish. Visits from the characters were just an added bonus.

I have been to San Angel Inn once. The service was brutal and the food horrible. The only thing it has going for it is the atmosphere. That is not enough to make up for the poor service, bad food, and very tight seating.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Garden Grill or San Angel?

:eat: We thought the theming at San Angel Inn was great, it is really cool to watch everyone going by the volcano...however, the service was mediocre and the food about the same....

I never eaten at Garden Grill but my mom raves about a breakfast she ate there.....

I also have not tried the new Italian Restaurant Tutto (I liked Alfredos pretty well), but thought Chef De france was okay....theming kind of bland, service kind of snooty, entrees just so-so but I remember the desserts were really good.:mickey:

Donald
07-12-2008, 04:51 PM
San Angel Inn was quite cramped and the food was less than impressive.

I have heard great things about Garden Grill-both food and service.

I did enjoy the Tempen Edo-the food was good and we had a very entertaining chef.

Good luck with your decisions!

garthbarth1
07-12-2008, 05:17 PM
I have never eaten at Garden Grill, but can tell you from experience that San Angel Inn is terrible!! We have had horrible service and even worse food...the only thing great about that place is the view! Good luck with your decision!

BugeyedMuggy
07-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I have eaten at both and agree with the above suggestions. If you are looking for more food and atmosphere, I would recomend Biergarten in the Germany pavilion.

DawsonAR
07-12-2008, 07:12 PM
We usually eat at both every trip. However, Garden Grill is more consistent. It has been good every time we have been there and we have always had excellent service.

Kenny1113
07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
I have been to Garden Grill x2 this year and went to San Angel Inn x1 3 years ago. The first time I went to GG it was good, really cute, kids LOVED the rotating resturant more than the characters. Last time I went though, we were seated at the inside tables, got stuck looking at the kitchen a few times, just a striped wall the rest of the times, and the food was REALLY salty. The time at SAI was a great expirience ( three years ago, though so things may have changed considering the above posts) , great themeing and food, although the tables are cramped I was amazed that I could not even hear the table next to me.

IMO if you are at a toss up for the two, decide if you want to eat authentic mexican food or comfort food.

Jarrod
07-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Maybe we have just been lucky, but we generally always eat at SAI, nostalgic I guess. We have eaten there ever since EPCOT opening. Anyway, we were just there in May and had a great meal and good service. Actually it was better than last year, so we are hoping it is on its way back up. (Does anyone remember when they used to have that great queso fundido with chorizo?) Anyway, I would not be afraid to try SAI. And we are from Texas, so we know alot about Mexican food.

HndrdPrcnt
07-13-2008, 02:00 AM
My recommendation, of the two, is Garden Grill. I was born and raised in So. CA and I can tell you that there is NOTHING authentic about SAI. The food is horribly over Americanized...so much so that it should be in the US Pavillion instead of the Mexico Pavillion! I love authentic Mexican food and we are blessed here in CA to have access to it on a frequent basis. As such, I have no need to ever return to SAI!!!!

Crow
07-13-2008, 02:28 AM
atmosphere San ANgel
food GG
i ate at GG for the first time last trip...all u care to eat
eating at SA in Sept. ate there a few trips ago & it wasnt the greatest food...but:marg:& atmosphere.

Kenny1113
07-13-2008, 08:08 AM
I can tell you that there is NOTHING authentic about SAI.

Clarification- I used the word authentic - as in not tex mex.

brownie
07-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I'd probably lean towards the Garden Grill. We've eaten at San Angel Inn, and it's cool to be eating indoors at night along the water, but the food is so-so.

SBETigg
07-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Teppan Edo instead of San Angel Inn or Garden Grill. That's a great place to go for your whole family, not as much a good place to send the twosome for a quiet meal. Garden Grill is pretty standard as far as food and atmosphere, even though you are rotating with occasional glimpses into the Land. San Angel Inn has fantastic atmosphere, and we always enjoy it but it does get mixed reviews. At Teppan Edo, you are seated around the hibachi in tables of eight. If you have a small party, you will be seated with others. It's a lot of fun, and kids like it, too.

As I answered in your other thread for dinner suggestions for the couple, Marrakesh is a fun choice and Rose and Crown or Tutto Italia are also good choices.

Gator
07-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Eating at San Angel Inn (and when my wife somehow talked me into eating at the Cantina), was one of the 3 WORST eating experiences of my life. Bad service, even worse food, and being shoved next to a wall makes this place a terrible place on any occasion. Go with the Garden Grill.

murphy1
07-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Eating at San Angel Inn (and when my wife somehow talked me into eating at the Cantina), was one of the 3 WORST eating experiences of my life. Bad service, even worse food, and being shoved next to a wall makes this place a terrible place on any occasion. Go with the Garden Grill.

I have to second this one (I'm from Florida, gave San Angel two chances and will never eat there again). We always go to Garden Grill at Epcot, dinner and lunch are about the same, but with a salad for dinner. The server at GG told me the characters love how they can move around and spend more time with people at GG (I'm sad it's not going to be around after end of October, I know you don't want the character experience, okay, how about the flank steak and all the other food is great). We have eaten here twice and just love it! We also like to get a FP for Soarin some time prior and go on it after dinner, it's very relaxing. There is also a Kidcot stop that you can go to with your kids if you are waiting for your res and they can color or do whatever they are doing at the time. My kids loved that.