PDA

View Full Version : 'Last Minute' Viewing spots for Illuminations?

Goes4FastPass
07-12-2008, 11:11 AM
A current thread about viewing Illuminations after the Candlelight Processional reminded me...

Are there any viewing spot for Illuminations you can get to, say, 30 minutes before it begins that aren't terrible?

It's surprising to me. The lake seems huge but with all that's around it and what seems like many more viewing spots roped off for grand gatherings and other "VIPs" it's getting harder and harder to get a good view.

And It seems like people camp out earlier in order to get a good spot. I like being early to many things but I don't always want to stand by a fence for 2 hours before the show.

So the question is, those of you who go to a Illuminations viewing spot within 30 minutes of the show, where do you watch?

Thanks!

PS: The bad thing about 'camping' is, besides the touring time you give to it, you can have a great bench facing the lake spot but be sure, 2 minutes before Illuminations begins, a family with 5 little kids and grandma is going to pack itselft into the 3 square feet of space that's between you and the fence.

Daisy'sMom
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Don't get me started on the grand gatherings and VIP areas. Nothing gets my blood boiling more than after being at Epcot all day, the best spots are roped off for "special people"! :mad:

big blue and hairy
07-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Don't get me started on the grand gatherings and VIP areas. Nothing gets my blood boiling more than after being at Epcot all day, the best spots are roped off for "special people"! :mad:

Too late... Sorry, couldn't resist...:D

Actually it depends alot on what time of year you're there. The best spots go pretty quickly, but there are several good spots that fill up slower in slow periods. Unfortunatel, in my experience, the spots vary with the day.

:sulley:

KineGirl
07-12-2008, 02:39 PM
IMO there really arent any bad spots to view Illuminations unless you park yourself somewhere where trees block your view. We used to stake out a spot before hand but now we just walk around and if we happen upon a good spot thats about 1/2 hour before the show we might stop. I like being on the bridge the best though. I also find the view from Japan to be pretty wide open. In my experience ppl tend to crowd more towards the front of WS (like Mexico & China) so the further back you go the more space is available.

Unless your insistent upon getting an absolute clear view of the globe you really cant go wrong. Besides like you said you can pick a spot well beforehand and sit only to have a family squeeze in in front of you.

Polynesian Dweller
07-12-2008, 02:58 PM
It depends on what is meant by a good spot. Many people think that you have to get as close to the railings as possible but that really isn't accurate. As long as you don't have a tall person in front of you, you can see everything even 4 rows back. And that has a big advantage at the end, you can get out and to the exits faster.

The crucial things are 1. to not get blocked out by the trees (as much as possible) and to guage the winds and make sure they aren't blowing to you (unless you really like smoke of course :D ). China to Mexico always works well as does near Canada.

jakeybake
07-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Near the exact middle where the globe is would be taken so probably anywhere on the rail is good.:D

Mr. Incredible
07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
Seems like I have better luck finding spots back around Japan or Italy. The caveat is that you can't be in any hurry to storm out of the gates when the show is over.

BugeyedMuggy
07-12-2008, 07:08 PM
The deck upstairs outside Tepen Edo.

Minnie Imagineer
07-12-2008, 08:26 PM
I got there about 15 minutes before it started and I found a decent spot around Germany-Norway I believe.
Plus, at the time I was 15 and shorter so some people let me in front of them! ;)

Crow
07-13-2008, 02:59 AM
The deck upstairs outside Tepen Edo.

yep:thumbsup:

PetefromRI
07-13-2008, 12:25 PM
We usually stand in front of Norway.There's actually a smoking area near the restrooms in Norway and we stand on the curbing and watch.I think that we'll try Germany this next trip.

Camping Mom
07-13-2008, 10:39 PM
We usually stand by Italy but it is really bad about getting roped off, especially the area right over the bridge there. It is a great shot and close to the music...and yes, we arrive 2 hours before and hold for our family....and yes, someone ALWAYS shows up as the music starts and wants to push their children in front. We have finally stopped being accommodating. You can't have the best spot if you wait until the last minute....We have never tried to just walk up...too afraid we won't be able to see...I am only 5 foot!!

KEYONNAH
07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
When we went in June we had what we thought was a good spot, but a man claimed he had that area saved and told us we needed to stand way back where my niece couldn't see. We started walking and ran into a CM at the popcorn stand at Canada. He told us to come talk to him at 8:58 and we could sit behind the fence. It was a great view. He even gave us popcorn.

TheRustyScupper
07-16-2008, 09:20 AM
1) We have NEVER lined up earlier than 15-min for Illuminations.
2) There are really no bad views for the show.
3) We can't figure people waiting 30-60-90 min for the show.
4) Same goes for Wishes.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey now, the only reason I wait an hour or so is because I am sitting down eating my Kaki-Gori from Japan.

But there has been times when I've walked into the park with like 5 minutes to go and gotten a great view.