PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle fight

pink
07-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Last night I was turning out of the parking lot from work and I had a green light and the other cars had a red light. I turned and as I was doing so and guy on a motorcycle went through traffic and blew the red light and proceeded to tailgate me even though there was another lane to go into. He was reving his bike and just flat out being rude. So at the next light he pulls up right to my window and shakes his head at me and then proceeds to push my side window in. Needless to say I put down my window and gave him a piece of my mind but still. He was an older man and I'm a young girl, I feel like he should be not only be cautious but respectful as well. Let's not forget he also wasn't wearing a helmet. :confused:

crazypoohbear
07-11-2008, 07:00 PM
You should have gotten the plate number on the bike and called the police.
Next time do that asap.
Isn't there a helmet law in NY???

KineGirl
07-11-2008, 07:43 PM
I wasnt there to witness it but as someone who was raised on motorcycles it sounds like while the guy may have ran the red light , you might have pulled out in front of him. It seems like whenever my family or friends ride there is always an occurance of someone just not noticing them and pulling right out in front of them leaving them little (if any) time to hit the brakes or slow down. Its very dangerous to the rider(s). Im not saying its your fault or his but merely trying to suggest what he may have been upset about. Afterall, most ppl dont just freak out on someone else for no reason. SOMETHING happened to set the guy off - you just may not have been aware of it. Also next time, I would suggest you leave your windows up - you never know what kind of psychopath that person could be. Its a crazy world out there!

mrbghd
07-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Call the police immediately; tell them that you are in fear for your life that this guy on a motorcycle is trying to push in your window and give them your location. If he continues you have a legal right to defend yourself with a reasonable use of force that is comparative to the force the biker is using. I'm not telling you what to do but that biker would have been on the pavement if I was the driver of the car

PirateLover
07-11-2008, 08:07 PM
I wasnt there to witness it but as someone who was raised on motorcycles it sounds like while the guy may have ran the red light , you might have pulled out in front of him. It seems like whenever my family or friends ride there is always an occurance of someone just not noticing them and pulling right out in front of them leaving them little (if any) time to hit the brakes or slow down. Its very dangerous to the rider(s). Im not saying its your fault or his
I'm really confused by this response. Obviously if they guy ran the red light, it's his fault. How could she have possibly cut him off if he was obeying traffic rules. And even if she did, in no way should it warrant that kind of response. I'm sure that the vast majority of riders are safe, but many also flagrantly disobey traffic laws by doing things like making up their own lanes, running stop signs and lights. I've had a biker make lewd facial gestures to me while we were stopped at a light before, revving his bike away like he was hot stuff.

What it comes down to is you had a run in with a creep. I do agree though that next time you should not roll down your window.

J9
07-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I wasnt there to witness it but as someone who was raised on motorcycles it sounds like while the guy may have ran the red light , you might have pulled out in front of him. It seems like whenever my family or friends ride there is always an occurance of someone just not noticing them and pulling right out in front of them leaving them little (if any) time to hit the brakes or slow down. Its very dangerous to the rider(s). Im not saying its your fault or his but merely trying to suggest what he may have been upset about. Afterall, most ppl dont just freak out on someone else for no reason. SOMETHING happened to set the guy off - you just may not have been aware of it. Also next time, I would suggest you leave your windows up - you never know what kind of psychopath that person could be. Its a crazy world out there!

A couple of things (of course I wasn't there, so any of these could be wrong):

He ran a red light....even if she did pull out in front of him, it doesn't mean that she didn't do it BEFORE he ran the light. He's totally at fault in my book. You're supposed to be in control of your vehicle at all times - if he didn't have enough time to properly stop then he needs to either pay more attention or not drive as fast. Oh yes, let's not forget not running traffic lights!

He wasn't wearing a helmet. I have no sympathy for motorcyclists who are this stupid.

He tailgated her!!! I'm not sure if motorcycles have horns, but if they do he should just beep and get on with his life. Or at the very least, just flip her the bird and move on.

He pulled up along side of her and Pushed in her window!!!!! That is completely inexcusable and quite frankly, I'd totally have called the cops and reported the battery. (Sorry, I'm in exam mode! hahah!) I also would completely have reported it to my insurance and make that sucker pay for any damage.

He's a guy and she's a girl. Normally this wouldn't matter, but from his actions he blatantly tried to intimidate her.

Maybe this guy needs to take his motorcycle licensing test again.

I must admit I'm a bit biased though - I almost got into an accident on the boulevard yesterday because some guy on a motorcycle without a helmet thought it would be fun to ride in between traffic lanes and rev his engine to pop a wheelie right next to my car. He was literally inches away from my window and I got so startled with the revving sound that I nearly swerved into a lane of oncoming traffic. So like I said...a little biased...

Call the police immediately; tell them that you are in fear for your life that this guy on a motorcycle is trying to push in your window and give them your location. If he continues you have a legal right to defend yourself with a reasonable use of force that is comparative to the force the biker is using. I'm not telling you what to do but that biker would have been on the pavement if I was the driver of the car

Random Aside: OMG....No matter what I do, I cannot escape the bar exam!!!! This is crazy!!!! I was even watching Nancy Drew with my Dad today and they were talking about Criminal Procedure. I can't take it anymore and I'm going crazy!!!! LOL!

KineGirl
07-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Im not saying the guy was right at all or that his behavior was excusable but rather was trying to help clear her confusion as to why the guy may have been upset. Regardless if you have the right of way or not - and it appears she did - you should still look around and make sure no one is running the red light before pulling out. Its all about being a defensive driver. She may have or may have not. :shrug: Im not excusing the guy, like I said I was merely trying to shed some light.

The guy was obviously a jerk. Not to mention reckless if he did indeed ran a red light.

Ive also seen those haphazard riders and I agree that theyre ridiculous and dangerous to not only themselves but everyone around them. I cringe everytime I see someone ride like that. Theyre usually young and have no sense of their own mortality. Ive also been on a bike and had ppl pull right out in front of us only to notice us last minute and look shocked and apologetic. Lucky for them, more lucky for us, we had our eye out for them even though they didnt for us and were able to avoid a serious collision. Unfortunately, I had a good friend lose his life due to a situation (that wasnt his fault) where a driver of a car pulled out in front of him.

pink
07-12-2008, 09:57 AM
Random Aside: OMG....No matter what I do, I cannot escape the bar exam!!!! This is crazy!!!! I was even watching Nancy Drew with my Dad today and they were talking about Criminal Procedure. I can't take it anymore and I'm going crazy!!!! LOL!

Haha, I wish you luck! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I had a good friend lose his life due to a situation (that wasnt his fault) where a driver of a car pulled out in front of him.

I know how you feel, I've lost friends, family, co-workers to situations like this and it's makes me cringe how people act like it can't happen to them.

By the way, thanks J9. :mickey:

Piglet822
07-12-2008, 11:07 AM
This reminded me of a situationI had a few years back. It was the wee hours of the morning, around 3 because I used to start work at 3:30, and I was one of the few vehicles on the road at that hour. It was a 6 lane road, btw.
At the time I drove a 4 cylinder, 5 speed standard shift Jeep Liberty. Standard shift vehicles tend to slow down or hesitate just a bit when shifting. This guy was right on my butt when I shifted and I guess he thought I slowed down on purpose. The next thing I know he's passing me (no problem there)but when he came back into my lane he cut it so short that if I hadn't slammed on my brakes he'd have hit the left side of my Jeep.
I guess it set him off thinking I intentionally slowed down on him but he shouldn't have been following so close.

KineGirl
07-12-2008, 01:18 PM
I know how you feel, I've lost friends, family, co-workers to situations like this and it's makes me cringe how people act like it can't happen to them.

I seriously hope you werent trying to be snide and insinuate that my friend was one of those type of riders :nono:

As I said - it wasnt HIS fault but the drivers' who pulled out of a parking lot onto a main road in front of him.

JRocker
07-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Sounds to me like this guy either thought you pulled out in front of him at some point (not necessarily that intersection), or thought that you would be an easy target for a robbery. Either way there was definately something screwed up in his little head.

I have been riding a motorcycle for well over 20 years and I have never reacted liked this. When someone pulls out in front of me (and it happens VERY often), I honk my horn and wave. No one finger salute or fist pounding, I just wave.

If it was temper that drove this guy to do what he did, well, you just witnessed a dead man. Riding a motorcycle with a temper like that will get you killed. All it would have taken would have been for you to bump that steering to the left..... If he keeps that up, it will happen.

Disney Doll
07-13-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm way confused now. If you run a red light shouldn't you expect people who have the right of way to be pulling out in front of you? I wouldn't try to figure out what set this guy off. He's obviously not a rational person and if it were me I would have definitely called the police. I'm just glad nobody was injured. Scary stuff!

Jen C.
07-13-2008, 01:41 PM
I seriously hope you werent trying to be snide and insinuate that my friend was one of those type of riders :nono:

As I said - it wasnt HIS fault but the drivers' who pulled out of a parking lot onto a main road in front of him.

After reading thorugh this entire thread, I don't think that that was being insinuated at all, Kinegirl.

I think OP was merely saying that all senseless acts are unfortunate. Just my two cents. I didn't see anything questionable about the response.;)

crazypoohbear
07-13-2008, 09:13 PM
After reading thorugh this entire thread, I don't think that that was being insinuated at all, Kinegirl.

I think OP was merely saying that all senseless acts are unfortunate. Just my two cents. I didn't see anything questionable about the response.;)

:ditto::ditto:

jrkcr
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, from someone who is now living in the Hecks Angels hometown.....(sparks nevada)

I'm glad to hear YOU weren't hurt! Never, EVER roll down your window again!!! :nono:
It doesn't matter who made a mistake(we'll never know for sure) Whether he was on a motorcycle, in a car, or running down the sidewalk-there is no excuse for his threatening behavior!

As a mom x3, I have taught my girls-YOUR safety is priority #1. Call the police, use your emergency blinkers and horn, and when in a desperate situation-remember your car is a weapon! A pedestrian or motorcyclist will be afraid of a car.
I'm sure I'll get some flak for that. But before you comment, know I am talking life or death, not just randomly using your car to scare people! We've had enough hurt/ dead college girls around here to make me feel strongly about protecting yourself!! Our stores here were sold out of pepperspray, mace, and even bear spray a few months back!!
That motorcyclist is lucky he wasn't in Reno!

MMouse6937
07-14-2008, 01:12 PM
My DH has been riding motorcycles since he was 6 and has seen it all. It is so unfortunate that there are motorcyclists that will give all the rest of them a bad name by running lights, splitting lanes, generally being agressive. My DH has almost been killed numerous times and has many scars from damage inflicted by cars. As a concequence, he rides very defensively and never takes for granted that anyone has seen him or will stop for him. He has also had guns drawn on him when he pulls up next to car. It's crazy. Sounds like this guy thought he owned the road and should have not been so aggressive towards you. I agree that you should have called the police, that type of behavior just gives all motorcyclists a bad name. And we call riders without helmets brain donors (sounds like this guy might have already donated his! ;) )

Jasper
07-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I think the bottom line is that since none of us were there that it is impossible to know exactly what happened and who was at fault. However, when things escalated to the point where the guy was pushing in her window it is time to get the law involved and let them try to sort things out.

Certainly if she pulled out in front of him or something he had a right to be upset but there is also no call for him to take his anger to the point of physical retaliation.

pink
07-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I seriously hope you werent trying to be snide and insinuate that my friend was one of those type of riders

I wasn't at all, it's hard to tell someones tone online. :mickey: