PDA

View Full Version : Disney Dining Experience, etc., questions

snerd475
07-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Ok, many questions. Here goes:

I am going solo in Sept., and will probably only be using CS. HOWEVER, I have 5 days of ADRs booked in December for me and dd10. I figure, given menu perusals and my fondness for wine, that we will spend about $400 on TS that trip.
FL resident rates for DDE are $85 without AP,and $25 extra for spouse or partner.
1.) Would that $25 also be the cost for my child?
2.) Can I still purchase this even though my ADRs are already made? Will I have to notify them when I order it that I already have these ressies?
3.) If I purchase an AP prior to my December trip, and not yet for child (we have 3 outstanding days on previous pass, no exp.), can I get the discounted price for both of us? (I think it's like $60 for me).
And if so, would it include her dining as well?

Sorry if this sounds convoluted. I never made so many ADRs before, and am looking to save a bit. We will be using the DDE at least 3 more trips in the year.

The way I figure, I'd have to spend a bit over $500 at the non-AP rate to recover my cost for the card. Is it worth it?

Please no ripping me for sounding idiotic!

ILoveLegos
07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
1. No you can take up to 8 guest with you and still use you DDE card, your child does not need one too. In fact the only reason why a spouse would need a separate one would be if they were going to take separate trips to Disney or not eat together at the same time.
2. Yes, just tell the server that you will be using your DDE card for that meal when you are seated at the restaurant.
3. Yes the discount is off your entire final bill cost up to a party of 8. Your child food would be included therein.
Hope this helps.

TennesseeTink
07-11-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree with ILoveLegos. Only one member of the party needs a card, no need to order one for your DD.

Also-FYI-as of January 2008, an 18% gratuity is included on your bill when you use a DDE card.

snerd475
07-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks for that info! It helps a lot to know I don't have to purchase an additional card.

Another question occured to me, in these early planning stages:

If I purchase a FL resident seasonal pass now, and I purchase the DDE card as soon as I receive it, does the AP have to be activated, i.e., used for the first time, before the DDE card is used? It may sound like an obvious "no", but I'm just checking into my options.

Thing is, I still have 3 days left on my play pass, which I can use in Sept. That's why I want to wait on the AP.

TIA

garthbarth1
07-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Interesting questions...I would help but I dont know what the DDE is:blush:

snerd475
07-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Interesting questions...I would help but I dont know what the DDE is:blush:

:silly: Thanks anyway, garthbarth! It is the Disney Dining Experience, a discount card for FL residents and AP holders, allowing 20% off many TS including :marg: :beer:, which is exactly my cup of...uh... tea! :thumbsup:

wendy*darling
07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
I believe you have to have an active AP to purchase the DDE nowadays.

You used to be able to get it with a voucher. But now that you can purchase and receive the DDE at Guest Relations when you arrive, I believe you have to also have activated your AP. But you can do both at the same time. :mickey:

And yes- you will only need the one card. It is good for up to 10 people at one sitting. So you, your child and 8 more friends can all use the discount when dining on the same check.

We have used the DDE on a couple of trips- and it really is a good deal. :thumbsup:

ILoveLegos
07-11-2008, 11:03 PM
Thing is, I still have 3 days left on my play pass, which I can use in Sept. That's why I want to wait on the AP.

TIA

I think that you can apply your FL Resident Play Pass toward your FL resident AP by upgrading it (as long as you have some days left on it), you only pay for the difference between the price of each pass. Which is a pretty good deal if it is a relatively new play pass. I believe the renewal date for the FL Res Annual Pass will be retro to one year from the first day that you used the Play Pass though. Someone else can confirm that because my personal experience in doing this is about 7 years old.