PDA

View Full Version : Kali River Rapids: What Do You Stash?

Goes4FastPass
07-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Unlike some 'rapids' rides, KRR has a clear plastic velcro closed cover over a small storage area in the center of the 'boat'.

My wife and I are expert fast stashers.

The last time we rode, as soon as we left the station we began stashing. Camera, shoes, socks etc.

The couple sitting beside us spoke to each other in a European language and gestured to us, "why?". I pointed "down stream" at the rapids.

I've never see 2 people get 3/4s undressed so fast in my life.

No sooner than we had the cover on the storage place closed again when wham - they were covered with a wave! They laughed and gave us a big thumbs up.

As the ride was winding down and we knew the rapids were past, my wife and I opened the cover and started grabbing our stuff.

The European couple needed no cue, they we're re-gathered as fast as they stowed the first time.

As we climbed out of the boat in our dry shoes and socks they thanked us repeatedly.

What do you stash when you ride KRR?

SBETigg
07-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I just stash my bag, if I'm carrying one. Otherwise, I find that putting my feet up on the rail usually does the trick to keep my feet safe. I wouldn't go on if I was afraid of getting wet.

disneydeb
07-10-2008, 03:10 PM
My bag , it has my phone and camera. I usually wear crocs on those days,and later I take out a pair of dry socks if needed.

Imagineer1981
07-10-2008, 03:16 PM
you can no longer stash your shoes/socks. CMs will yell at you for it. Its a safety hazard

Goes4FastPass
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
you can no longer stash your shoes/socks. CMs will yell at you for it. Its a safety hazardYeah, I had heard that. I wouldn't try to get on or off the ride in bare feet but I've not been "yelled at" for being shoeless during the ride.

Is there anything worse than walking around a theme park in wet sneakers and socks?

Imagineer1981
07-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I had heard that. I wouldn't try to get on or off the ride in bare feet but I've not been "yelled at" for being shoeless during the ride.

Is there anything worse than walking around a theme park in wet sneakers and socks?

nope..nothing worse except maybe wet jeans...those hurt too

Young@Heart
07-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Usually, just my bag. I'm a sandals person, so no wet socks, but I still hate wet shoes. A few months ago, I gave into the "ugly" factor and bought myself some nile crocs. They are sooo comfortable, and now I don't have to worry about them getting we on rides or during thunderstorms. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
we stash our bags
We know going to that park to wear sandals
a couple of years ago DS#2 got so wet that I had to buy him a pair of shorts at the kiosk outside the ride :( $20.00 for a pair of "short shorts" for a boy.... not a happy camper that day. He looked like larry bird back in the day :D

Kairi_7378
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
I usually put our camera bag in a gallon-sized zip lock bag and put it in my backpack. The backpack fits in the center compartment. I put my feet up on the rail to protect my sneakers.

IloveDisney71
07-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I usually just put my bag in the center compartment and put my feet up on the rail in the center. My tennis shoes will get splashed but not soaked since they are not sitting on the floor. This has worked well for me in the past. But we've also learned to ride this ride as we're about to leave the park so we aren't walking around in wet clothes all day...wet jeans and shorts are NOT fun in the hot FL sun!

AlliMo
07-11-2008, 01:58 PM
do ponchos work on this ride?? I know that the point is to get wet...but I would like to go on this ride without getting soaked :)

Mrs Bus Driver
07-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Glad I found this thread, last time we went (about 6 years ago) you could store your shoes. I had already been thinking about wearing my crocs. DD always likes to were sneakers or boots I will have to tell her about this. :thanks: :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
07-11-2008, 02:08 PM
do ponchos work on this ride?? I know that the point is to get wet...but I would like to go on this ride without getting soaked :)Not really. If you get wet the 'right' way a poncho might work. I have ridden KRR when I barly got a drop on me even though I was anticipating a soaking.

KRR isn't like rain falling down. Water often sweeps ACROSS the boat through the space between the seats. Inthis case a poncho won't help much and if you're busy trying to stay dry, putting your poncho over your seat and over your head etc. etc. you won't be able to enjoy the (some people say very short) ride.

Of course, someoen will reply to your question with, "I once wore a poncho on KRR and we were submerged for 30 minutes and everyone else drowned but I didn't a drop on me." Great. Fine.

I think the best approach to KRR is to PLAN to get soaked - some people plan to make it the last thing they do before leaving to go back to their room - then if you don't get wet, no big deal.

thrillme
07-11-2008, 02:21 PM
I usually have a SMALL backpack with me (and I do mean SMALL) I have my camera in a gallon sized waterproof bag inside a water resistant case and that's in the backpack. I put my hearing aid in the ziplock with the camera and everything in the backpack (I do this while waiting in line). When I get on the only thing that goes in is the backpack.

Shoes...I usually wear sandals or crocs these days so they're not a problem. I've seen people take off their shoes and throw them in and the CM's yell. Others slip out of their shoes loosely then throw them in after they get out of site. Whatever...As long as they're quick I don't care but I get really annoyed with those that are still fiddling around when we hit the first wave...so much for my stuff staying somewhat dry.

What I have done in the past is pressure people to put their cameras away. I warn them the water will come in a WAVE not a sprinkle. There's no way to protect it if it's not water proof.:shake: Usually they trust me and do as I warned...I only had one guy resist (not my problem but...). Fortunately for him we hit a wave and HALF of the boat got soaked. He looked at me with really wide eyes as we went up the ramp thingy and started stuffing his camera in his backpack. Closed everything back up just in time.

disneyfan1124
07-11-2008, 02:28 PM
We're not big on the "wet factor" and have never been on KRR. We would like to try. If we have change of shorts/shirt/sox in a backpack, will the backpack fit in the storage container?

Goes4FastPass
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
...Others slip out of their shoes loosely then throw them in after they get out of site...Shhhh... my technique exactly.

TBone
07-11-2008, 05:59 PM
My DD's razor phone got splashed - they can't take dampness let alone wetness so it cost me close to $300 to purchase a new one and have it overnighted to us at the Poly.

So please be sure to not let your elec. items get splashed! We now carry zip locks with us.

PetefromRI
07-12-2008, 10:15 AM
My pet Coral snake.Oh wait,that's another thread.

SFTrny
07-12-2008, 10:38 AM
My pet Coral snake.Oh wait,that's another thread.

That's is the funniest thing I've ever read on the boards! Nice callback!

Goes4FastPass
07-12-2008, 10:56 AM
My DD's razor phone got splashed - they can't take dampness let alone wetness so it cost me close to $300 to purchase a new one and have it overnighted to us at the Poly...
Did I just hear DD couldn't complete a WDW vacation without her razor so you had one overnighted to the Poly?
Let me answer that in DDspeak: OMG you guys! Like OMG like.

PetefromRI
07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah,
I thought it was a pretty good callback myself.Thanks!