PDA

View Full Version : How Far In Advance Do You Leave?

daisyhead
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
How far in advance to you leave to catch your flight at the airport? Our flight will be departing at 4:50 and I just am wondering what we might be able to squeeze in at the parks, maybe a little lunch even? Orlando Intl. is really close to WDW isn't it? We will have to return our car to Alamo too.

We previously have flown into Sanford, but this is the first time to fly into MCO.

SBETigg
07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Make sure you check your flight times the day before and even the day of your flight. The way the industry is going, flight times are being changed more constantly now. Our flight was cancelled and we were rebooked on a plane leaving two hours earlier, something we didn't learn until we got to the airport, checked in, and then they told us to run for it and they would "try" to hold the plane. It wasn't fun.

The airport is a half hour away, more or less. I would get leave at least two hours in advance of your flight, to be safe. I would plan for three, just to be sure we were hitting the road in time because there are always those last minute things that can slow you down and delay departure. Maybe plan to leave at around two, two thirty?

Seasonscraps
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
We generally leave between 90-120 minutes in advance of our flight. If we have a rental car, the return location is in the aiport. If I had to return the car to another location and take a shuttle, I would add another 30 minutes for that.

MMFreak
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
If you are using Magical Express they will leave a packet on your door the day before you depart letting you know what time you need to catch the bus back to the airport. typically 3 hours before your flight. This allows them to get you there, you to check in, and then wait :)

brownie
07-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I like to be at the airport with my rental car returned 2 hours before my flight leaves. You have about a 30 minute drive to get to Orlando International Airport from Disney World.

disneymom15
07-09-2008, 02:58 PM
I would agree with the others and say 2 hours. We use DME and it's 3 hours for them.

Tick-Tock
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
If it were me, I'd try to be heading out the gates toward the car about 1:30 (a little earlier if it's MK). A few minutes to get to the car, a few to get out of the lot, about a half-hour or a little more to the airport, a half-hour or so to return the car (we usually rent off-site and have to take a shuttle), and in the airport about two hours before the flight (security at MCO always takes a long time, I think).

lockedoutlogic
07-09-2008, 03:01 PM
It really depends on where you're flying from and the traffic conditions around the airport.....

some places you can get to easily and get through security....some you can't.....

as far as Orlando Int'l...it is very efficient getting people out into the world.....as any airport where the travelers are 90% vacationing would be.....

the airport is about 15 miles from WDW via two routes......

there are three little used expressways that can get you there in no time.....

funny how empty highways happen to get built that dump out at Mickey's front door?....

especially the Osceola parkway....

bkfree
07-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Our flight leaves at 5pm and we will head to the airport at 2pm via DME. Check in and then get a snack at the food court and roam around until our flight.

We pack our luggage the night before other than the clothes we will be wearing and a few commodities.

At 6, my husband will go and store our luggage with bell services while the kids and I get dressed.
Then we drop off the small carryon size piece with the jammies and commodities in it at bell services, hop on the bus at 7am to MK for our 8am ADR at Crystal Palace. We will then have from 9 till 1 in the park, hop back on the bus to our resort and load up on ME at 2pm for the airport. A great grand finale to the trip.

TheRustyScupper
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
1) I recommend 2½ hrs, at least.
2) Especially if you have to return a rental car.
3) The drive to MCO is 45-minutes (24 miles).
4) However, the security lines can be long during peak times.

5) Our time estimates
. . . 5-min walk to car
. . . 45-min drive to MCO
. . . 10-min drop off rental car
. . . 5-min walk to security
. . . 20-min security check
. . . 10-min walk to tram and tram to terminal
. . . 5-min walk to gate
. . . 30-min be on plane prior to takeoff

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I like to get there at least 2 hours in advance. I don't like to stress when I'm catching a flight. I always worry that I'll miss the plane. It's only happened once and then only because my sister's car was in the process of breaking down. But we got right on the next flight and made it to our destination in plenty of time to catch the ship.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
:) We are driving and plan to leave at 4 am-it is a 10-11 hour drive:cool:

pink
07-11-2008, 05:55 PM
My family always leaves 3 hrs before the flight and all you do is wait. I think 2- 21/2 hours would be fine. :mickey:

lindique
07-11-2008, 06:14 PM
You also need to allow about another 15 minutes to get gas for the rental car. And, once at the terminal, allow about 30 minutes for potty stops and buying snacks for the flight. Orlando airport can take a long time - especially if you're not very familiar with it. Sometimes, their security lines and/or luggage check-in lines are very long. I would leave DW at least 3 hours before your flight.

Taja
07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Looks like you'll be driving at the beginning of rush hour if your flight is on a weekday. Might be a good idea to allow some extra time. Probably leave the park by 1:30 p.m. and head directly to the airport.

The security lines at MCO can be very slow--or not. Usually pretty average, but I've been stuck for over an hour a couple of times--for no apparent reason. Busy, but it didn't seem to be insanely so.

shellyc
07-13-2008, 10:27 PM
We leave 2 /12 hours prior to flight time. We usually fill up at Hess on property, but last trip I topped off the gas tank at the gas station on Boggy Creek Road, after getting off the airport exit on 417 Greenway.