PDA

View Full Version : backpack question...

TraciK
07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Ok, I have another question. If we bring a backpack with us, how much of a pain is it? Is there spots to put it while riding? I am thinking about just buying a small stroller, even though we don't have little kids, just to put our stuff in. Is that stupid? LOL

IloveDisney71
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I always carry a smallk lightweight backpack or messenger bag with me. I carry my
camera(s), various medications, small snacks, cell phone, etc. I have never minded carrying a bag. You can carry your bag with you on all the rides. Some rides provide a small mesh net to store your bags (EE, Dinosuar) and I've found if my bag won't fit in it that it is no problem to just put one leg thru one of the backpack straps and then leave the bag in the floor of the ride vehicle where my feet are. Even on RNRC, I've never had a problem.

elmjimmlm
07-08-2008, 09:33 PM
We always carry a bag with water and snacks for our kids...Once you have it on then you kind of forget about it...There is storage for your bags...even on Kali you can store it in a container that is water proof...:mickey:

yjgirl715
07-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I carry a backpack with me everywhere I go, including Disney. It worked out very well for me. I put our drinks and some fruit snacks in there along with my camera. I didn't think it was a pain. It would be more of a pain to rent the stroller. They are a little big and can't always maneuver around things well. Good luck- hope this helps.

#1donaldfan
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
We never leave the room without one, or two.....if I didn't have it on, I don't think my fam would be able to find me in crowd....they say I always "out run 'em" and all they see is the pack......:mickey:

LoriMistress
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
DH and I carried a backpack in the parks and it was much easier to carry your items in (camcorder, camera, bottled water, etc.)

Funforall
07-08-2008, 10:49 PM
We use a backpack for the long days. It makes it easy to carry raincoats (in a zip lock bag). My wife always tries to overload it (it's easy to do when you don't have to carry it)

brownie
07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Can the stroller. There's always some place to put your bag/backpack on the attractions.

TraciK
07-09-2008, 08:34 AM
Thanks so much for the help! Ok, no stroller, I didnt' really want to anyway, just wasn't sure. Dh will carry the backpack. LOL

Figment52
07-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Just make sure that it's only big enough for essentials. Othewise, you'll be compelled to fill it and then it becomes a pain to carry.

I have a backpack I bought at disney, and usually put in two ponchos, my wallet, and possibly the resort mugs if we have them. In the small zipper part, we usually have a very small washcloth (infant size, just large enough to wipe down your face or mug if needed), aspirin or other OTC pain killers, and some bandaids. I usually throw in the small purchases we make. If for some reason it gets too heavy (rare), or I just don't want to carry it, than DD takes a turn.

DD has her own bag - about the size of a large paperback book and about 5-6 inches thick. It's made by a company here in Vermont and is geared toward travel/outdoor use. She puts in her wallet, sunglasses, camera, extra batteries, and I think that's it. In the outside pocket, she stores all the maps/info papers for us.

bkfree
07-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Am I the only one that tries to carry the LEAST amount on me at Disney.
Our first trip we had the double rental stroller for the two kiddos, so you could virtually haul a suitcase around.
Our next trip 2 years later, they were out of strollers, no sip cups-nada and I was so happy. I pared out park necessities down to fit in a very small(6"X9") Messenger bag.
It held: digital camera
mini DVD digital recorder
money clip with tickets, cash, drivers license, resort key and health insurance card, pen and autograph book,ziplock bad with lipstick, eye drops and Aleve,ADR schedule and park cheat sheet, bandaids and my son's Mp3 player and ear buds, extra memory card and batteries for camera, recorder and Mp3. All of this fit easily in the bag with a little room to spare.

A back pack, even a small one would tempt us to put things in it we would not use.

I loved not having any thing of consequence to lug around.

thrillme
07-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I tend to carry a SMALL backpack (I'm talking about the size of a sheet of paper or smaller) or a large fanny pack. If you don't have small kids I don't know what all you'd need anyway.

In the backpack I carry my camera in a waterproof bag, a small bottle (travel sized) of cornstarch, maybe a bottle of sunscreen and money pouch, perhaps sunglasses too.

If you have a "small camera" then you can easily get away with just the fanny pack. With the backpack I never had a problem with any of the rides. I just wrapped the straps around my leg for the roller coasters. Most rides had a net or place to put it.

Just be sure you have your camera in a waterproof case or best the water resistant case in a plastic ziplock.

If you're staying at a Disney resort...remember you can have your purchases sent back to your hotel that way you don't have to mess with them for the rest of the day. I've had it delivered to my room other times it's waiting in the gift shop. Just remember it can take several hours for it to arrive so don't buy what you can't carry on your last day.

EmmMOM2
07-09-2008, 12:03 PM
We always bring at least one bag for DH to carry....He's always our pack mule on vacation, we'd have it no other way :secret:

You'll be fine like PP said.. always somewhere for a bag.

diz_girl
07-09-2008, 01:47 PM
A small backpack with essentials (noted already by others before me) should suit you just fine. We did that on our last trip and we were fine. I'd been wanting that black Walt Disney World backpack for years, so I finally got one on our last trip and it served us well then and should do the same on future trips.

As for a stroller, if you need a stroller to lug around your stuff, rather than carrying it around with you, then you have too much stuff. But you already ruled out the stroller - good call.

Disney Doll
07-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Am I the only one that tries to carry the LEAST amount on me at Disney.
Our first trip we had the double rental stroller for the two kiddos, so you could virtually haul a suitcase around.
Our next trip 2 years later, they were out of strollers, no sip cups-nada and I was so happy. I pared out park necessities down to fit in a very small(6"X9") Messenger bag.
It held: digital camera
mini DVD digital recorder
money clip with tickets, cash, drivers license, resort key and health insurance card, pen and autograph book,ziplock bad with lipstick, eye drops and Aleve,ADR schedule and park cheat sheet, bandaids and my son's Mp3 player and ear buds, extra memory card and batteries for camera, recorder and Mp3. All of this fit easily in the bag with a little room to spare.

A back pack, even a small one would tempt us to put things in it we would not use.

I loved not having any thing of consequence to lug around.

You're not alone! I think bringing too much stuff was my biggest rookie mistake. Now I fit everything into one small bag. I bring the least amount possible and have found that it really is nice not to to be lugging a bunch of stuff.

If you decide to go with a backpack get a small one. If you are even thinking about renting a stroller to push around your stuff, you are bringing too much.

RalsFam
07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I have a small North Face daypack that I pretty much carry with me all the time. I am planning on taking it when we go to WDW this fall.

garthbarth1
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
My past couple of trips I have carried a back pack...this time I think I will carry more of a messenger type bag to put across my shoulders. The backpack became a pain bc I was always getting into it every few minutes-unzipping, searching, zipping up again....having something on my hip just seams much easier :)

indytraveler
07-09-2008, 06:38 PM
judging by the posts most prefer a backpack. I'm one who uses a backpack as well. Ponchos, camera a few snacks and a couple of h2o bottles. Very light and easy to carry.

I agree, carrying a backpack may lead you to overpack. Just be careful.

garthbarth1
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
I dont like to take a lot so that it leaves me room to buy a lot...:D
(Hi Indytraveler from your indy neighbor! I used to be your Carmel neighbor but I just moved!)

danyele128
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Take the backpack!! We also put the legs through on rides like RNR and EE! It is no biggie and you have just what you need handy! We keep in it 4 neatly folded ponchos, extra undies & light shorts for the kids if they get really soaked on splash mt or wherever even a pr of thin flops for each of us just in case the shoes are soaked too. Autograph books, photo passes, cameras, snacks, change, meds, hats, hair ties. Pretty much all the little things you just MIGHT need and do not want to have to make a trek across the world to get it! It will fit on the rides no problem...:mickey:

alilprincessmom99
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
I think someone else mentioned that an actual backpack is a pain. I agree. You keep having to take it off your back to get anything out of it. I always carry a messenger type bag and have found it to be much easier than when I used to carry a backpack.

kakn7294
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
You name it, I've probably carried it. I've used a small child-sized backpack and 2 different drawstring backpacks but wasn't happy with any of them. On the plus side, I was hands-free but on the negative, they tend to be hot on my back, I found that I had to carry everyone's stuff because it fit in the backpack, and I didn't always feel my belongings were secure being on my back. I also still had to carry a separate camera bag because I take a lot of pics and I hated taking the backpack off every few minutes to get to the camera and mine won't fit in a pocket.

VolMickey
07-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Ditto on the backpacks.

Just a bit of advice...
Don't forget to close your bottled water completely before you put it in your backpack that also holds your camcorder... oof!!! Been there, done that.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-09-2008, 07:26 PM
If you are carrying around a bunch of stuff for "just in case" you can always rent a locker in the parks and put what you don't immediately need in there.
Most of the time I use a fanny pack, you are still hands free, and it's easy to reach into. I don't even care that it looks dorky!

TikiGoddess
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I am happiest when I have the least amount of 'stuff' to carry around the world. When I'm by myself I will carry just my camera bag with my room key and my credit card. When I have used a backpack, I've found that I'll put lots of stuff in it that I really don't need. Plus we're usually there in the summer and bags feel awful on your back in the heat.

That being said, things are different when I'm there with the family. We share carrying the backpack if we're not using a stroller.

TikiG

Pirate Granny
07-09-2008, 08:54 PM
We bring a largist backpack but store it in the locker...only at EPCOT is this a problem due to the area of the park...sometimes we'll move it from the front to the International gateway lockers if we are going to be leaving by that gateway.
:pirate:

Simba'sBud
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Cargo shorts, anyone?

No, I can't fit everything in my shorts, but here's what I've found that works for DW and I. We have a small 'Happiest Celebration' messenger bag that is perfect for us.

The largest compartment is just big enough to hold our ponchos and an autograph book. Next to it is a small zip pocket that we put pens, extra rechargeable batteries, and some various medicine in a ziploc bag. On the other side of that are slots for our keys to the world, DL, etc. The flap that covers all this also has a zip pocket that holds our park maps, cheat sheet for ADR's and tentative schedule for the day. So this is very light to carry and fits well in all the compartments on the rides.

As far as our camera, if you have one small enough, utilize your cargo pockets(if you have them). I like to be quick on the draw with a camera, but I don't want to carry it in my hand the whole time. I learned that cargo shorts are the best solution for that. And you can keep extra kleenex/napkins in the other cargo pocket.

JUST DON'T OVER PACK FOR PARKS! Everything we take can fit into a gallon size freezer bag and it still close. It helps if you try to use something like that as a guideline.

Enjoy your trip!

MickeyMousse
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Fortuntately since my DS's have gotten older the size of the backpack and the amount brought has decreased dramatically. But we still bring one if we are planning to spend alot of time in one park, or are park hopping without a stop at the resort.
We usually pack 2 drinks (make sure those tops are on tight, even in ziploc bags!), small snacks (granola bars, goldfish) and our camera.
I will say that I always end up carrying it....my oldest DS dubbed me as "the pack mule" a few trips ago!
And yes, there is always a place to put it on rides...whether it's next to you or at your feet. Although it is sometimes a tight squeeze!

Imagineer1981
07-10-2008, 12:55 PM
backpacks are easy. And if you get tired of it, rent a locker. I have the camera, snacks, a few other essentials and a jacket for my wife, its cold in some rides/restraunts for the ladies :mickey:

Young@Heart
07-10-2008, 05:12 PM
I carried a backpack for our first family trip, and it wasn't too bad. But I had more space than I needed. Now I just carry a messenger bag.:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 01:11 PM
:thumbsup: My sister ALWAYS takes a back pack and wouldn't go to DW without one....she is not going with us this year and I am considering taking one...it didn't seem to be too much of an inconvenience for her to stop and take things out, but I've never carried a back pack before and can't really say for sure

RaRaRoundTheWorld
07-12-2008, 10:14 AM
If you'd like something that's sort of a hybrid - there are rolling backpacks with handles. That way, if your back tires, you can pull?

Figment52
07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
If you'd like something that's sort of a hybrid - there are rolling backpacks with handles. That way, if your back tires, you can pull?

That's a no-no. Anything that you pull behind you - backpacks, luggage, wagons - is not allowed in the parks.

Sharon1026
07-13-2008, 10:43 AM
yes to the backpack. You can bring in water, sunscreen and some snacks if you like. If you have kids, it's good to bring wipes. Sometimes I bring advil, lol.We've never found it to be a pain. You can refill your water bottles in the park - there are fountains near any restroom.

Camping Mom
07-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Even on RNRC, I've never had a problem.

Ditto .....never a problem.

luvmyboys4ever
07-13-2008, 11:37 PM
We all had fanny-packs on our first trip-Me, DH, DS(7 at the time), and DS(5 at the time). The boys' packs each had a water bottle, autograph book & marker(they were a little leary of the characters, so my DH had to get all of the autographs), MP3 player(filled with Disney tunes :music:), ID and a snack or 2. I had a first aid kit, sunscreen, wipes, water bottle, money, tickets, the kitchen sink...etc. DH had all of the electronic equipment, water bottle, more snacks, sunscreen, lanyards & pins...etc. We were a little crazy.;) We were a little better the second trip. My DH had a medium size back-pack, which carried water bottles, snacks, cameras, autograph books, passes, pins and money. Oh yeah, and all of our assorted Disney hats...poor guy! This trip we are going with a small back-pack that goes over 1 shoulder. It will have 2 water bottles(we can share & refill as needed), a few snacks(Disney snacks are half of the fun), cameras, tickets, money, IDs, autograph books & markers, photopass cards, sunscreen and most important....trading pins!:joy:We packed way too much the 1st trip, but it's a rookie mistake! We've since learned to pack light. We are too busy seeing and doing to worry about snacking, besides we eat a character meal once a day and that's enough to keep us going all day.:eat: Disney has first aid, so I don't need my kit. We stopped wearing hats and started wearing headband type ears for the boys and a crown for me, silly I know, but where else can a grown woman wear a pink crown and get away with it? Happy planning....which is almost my favorite part! :thumbsup:

Gator
07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
I've always found it quite easy to backback. It holds all you need and I just set it on the ground of any ride and put my leg through a shoulder strap to hold it.

Ladyvader
07-14-2008, 08:40 AM
I have gone both sides of this spectrum. It never fails that if I lug a backpack around with weather gear, it never rains. I would never bring anything larger than a medium backpack. Remember less is best! By the end of the day it will feel like you are carrying bricks.
And also remember if you don't have a bag to check you skip the lines at security.
Have fun at the park all you Theme Park Sherpas. :mickey: