PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce LeCellier?

cer
07-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Please be gentle, I know this may be a dumb question. This Texas girl can get by with Spanish ok, not so much with French Canadian...How do you pronounce LeCellier? My first guess would be "le sel-ee-air" or "le sel-ee-ay" -but truly I have no idea...

Thanks Y'ALL!

ibrowse17
07-08-2008, 05:43 PM
La Sell Ah Ria:thumbsup:

ibrowse17
07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Actually I am not 100% on that, but that is how we say it in our family:thumbsup:

cer
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
This is funny.

Just for grins I googled that same question and to my surprise it came up on a random discussion board. And here is the funny part... Someone posted: It's pronounced, "THAT RESTAURANT IN CANADA"

Cracked me up.

Camping Mom
07-08-2008, 06:03 PM
You are one up on me...I am a Texas gal and can't speak Spanish....I DID take one year of French in HS but that was so long ago. I would have said Luh sell yay. Now I know.

Flower
07-08-2008, 06:07 PM
La Sell Ah Ria This sounds more Italian - like Mama Mia!!!!

I would have said Luh sell yay. Now I know.

That is how we pronounce it! Luh sell-yay

wendy*darling
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
La Sell Ah Ria:thumbsup:
I really do not think this is correct. :secret:

I do think either of your 2 choices work.
For years I pronounced it La-sell-year. (emphasis on the bolded syllable)
However, nowadays I only hear it pronounced Le-sell-ee-yay.

I do like "That restaurant in Canada!" :thumbsup:

disneydeb
07-08-2008, 06:16 PM

That is the way I say it too. The CM that took my ADR kept saying " the Canadian Steakhouse". So I think she was afraid to say it too.:D

Goes4FastPass
07-08-2008, 06:17 PM
"Luh cell YAY"
or based on the food,
"Outback"

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Pretty good. Coming from an officially bilingual area of Canada, English and French, we do know how to say it since it is French for The Cellar. The Le part is pretty close to luh with a soft u and not much of an h on the end.

Oh, and its two words not one. Le meaning 'the' (masculine form) and Cellier meaning 'Cellar'. Le Cellier

1DisneyNut
07-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Luh-Cell-Yay as Goes4FastPass stated is the correct pronunciation.

ElenitaB
07-08-2008, 08:08 PM
I do think either of your 2 choices work.
For years I pronounced it La-sell-year. (emphasis on the bolded syllable)
However, nowadays I only hear it pronounced Le-sell-ee-yay.

I do like "That restaurant in Canada!" :thumbsup:
While that "restaurant in Canada" is possibly the EASIEST pronunciation for all concerned, you're really close on the phonetic spelling for Americans. I would transcribe it as:

Lu* Sell-ee-a**
Emphasis on the bolded syllable
*Not like "Lou" but instead like the beginning of lunge
**Like the letter "a"

Or at least that's how I'd Americanize it (without mangling it), after far too many years of French in high school, college and grad school. ;)

Polynesian Dweller, does that pass muster?

BraddyB
07-08-2008, 09:00 PM
If you are making ADR's just call it

Lay Sale Er

and laugh when you say it and go thats probably not right and the CM taking the adr's will laugh and told me how to say it. Then I just kept calling it the cellar place joking around with him about it. The guy I talked to was really friendly

crazypoohbear
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Don't know if this is right or not but I pronounce it

Lay Sell E air.

Of course it took me about 2 years to learn how to pronounce the Welcome To sign in New Hampshire many years ago.

Marceline
07-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Welllll Ahm from Missoura and here we pronounce things our own special way. A town named Versailles is literally spoken Ver-sales, not no fancy pants frenchy way and a town named Nevada is spoken Ne-vay-da. SO at my house Le Cellier is Luh-Sell-Yare.:blush:

Alrighty ya'll, I gotta go warsh mah dishes. ;):cowgirl:

Bethis26fan
07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
lol glad I'm not the only one that has problems saying it.

princessimagineer
07-08-2008, 10:08 PM
thank you for this because i am always wondering this too.

in my house, since we are italian, its pronounced : leh-chell-eh

or if we are feeling too american to care, we say : leh-sell-er

i hate it when people butcher pronunciations, so thank you for clarifying this for me. now, how do you properly pronounce mitsukoshi teppanyaki?

Hair_Razor
07-08-2008, 10:16 PM
oui, Luh-sell-yay the "r" is silent.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-08-2008, 10:25 PM
We've been saying Le Cellier around our house for the past 15 minutes, trying to figure out how to write it out...DD is asking "Since I go to French School, can I write it?"

So, I've told her no, but we've come to a consensus...le (with a short e) cell-yay.

This should be the triva question one day at Le Cellier, or at least another at least another French activity :mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 11:18 PM
While that "restaurant in Canada" is possibly the EASIEST pronunciation for all concerned, you're really close on the phonetic spelling for Americans. I would transcribe it as:

Lu* Sell-ee-a**
**Like the letter "a"

Or at least that's how I'd Americanize it (without mangling it), after far too many years of French in high school, college and grad school. ;)

I wish I was as good at phonetic representation as you did for the Le portion.:mickey:

However, sell-yay would be better. The i sound is said so quickly it really doesn't come off as the hard ee sound. As I say it to myself, the ee is sort of there but would be hard to pick up. Say sell-yay, its closer to the ear.

By the way, I am anglais but live in a bilingue area so je parle francais and english. ;)

ILoveLegos
07-09-2008, 11:04 AM
now, how do you properly pronounce mitsukoshi teppanyaki?

Mitsukoshi teppanyaki or phonetically
Mi-t'sue-ko-she tep-an-ya-ki
I've got a decent Japanese background - my father lived there for 3 years and I've been taking classes for 3 years. It's pretty much the way it reads, just keep your vowels generally short, (although the "o" in this work is more like a long o) and equal emphasis on each syllable. Females would speak it softer than a male (harsher voiced) - kinda hard to explain difference in gender speach pattern stuff without a long explaination - or at least that's what my teacher (sensei) said.
i - like the i in itch
u - like the sound ew
o - like o in go
e - like e in egg
a - like a in an
tsu - no true English equivalent, but we all know the Japanese word tsunami, don't "pop" the "t" sound, say it very softly.

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
i hate it when people butcher pronunciations, so thank you for clarifying this for me. now, how do you properly pronounce mitsukoshi teppanyaki?

me-sue-ko-she te-pan-ya-key.

The te- and the -ppan are actually seperate letters, so I believe that to say Tep- and -an would be incorrect because the emphasis is on the wrong letters.

I've taken it for 2 years. Sadly, I also took French for 4 years and I can barely get past 'Hello, how are you' and 'My name is'

And I believe, as other have said it, the -r should be silent. Lue cell-e-a is how I say it, based on what I remember from class.

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Lu* Sell-ee-a**
**Like the letter "a"

Almost..... It should be pronounced

Luh Sell-ee-ay ... or the Outback. That's hilarious!

mickey&missy
07-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I was confused as to how to say it before. Now I'm even more confused :blush:

TheRustyScupper
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Le Cellier
phonetically: hrd-2-gt

ILoveLegos
07-09-2008, 05:41 PM
me-sue-ko-she te-pan-ya-key.

The te- and the -ppan are actually seperate letters, so I believe that to say Tep- and -an would be incorrect because the emphasis is on the wrong letters.

Captain Jessica Sparrow, you are right about the te-pan, I looked it up in the dictionary. There goes my Jersey accent getting in the way again! :blush:
Main Entry: tep·pan·ya·ki
Pronunciation: \ˌte-pän-ˈyä-kē\

KH
07-09-2008, 07:36 PM
Sell-yay is fine, but please, please, please can we start a movement here in the US to ban the pronunciation of "le" as "lay"? I hear it more often than the correct pronunciation. "Les"- the plural form of both "le" and "la" is pronounced "lay," unless it is followed by a word starting with a vowel. Then the "s" sound is added... This is a lost cause isn't it!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Captain Jessica Sparrow, you are right about the te-pan, I looked it up in the dictionary. There goes my Jersey accent getting in the way again! :blush:
Main Entry: tep·pan·ya·ki
Pronunciation: \ˌte-pän-ˈyä-kē\

Too bad the dictionary still has it wrong as far as the main entry.

The letters are

てっぱんやき
te -(small tsu)*-pa-n-ya-ki
*=when there is a small or subscripted tsu character, it denotes that the character immediately follows would be held for a brief second, as if pausing before saying that character. The small tsu is silent and not spoken. Hence the -pa becomes -ppa. And since -n is never used by itself because it has no pronunciation of it's own, it is always added as the last sound to the letter than precedes it. So, when combining -っぱん, it will become -ppan when written in romanji and for pronunciation.

If that makes sense.

teamblackwell
07-10-2008, 12:44 AM
^^^^^^^^^
Wow, I think my brain just exploded. Good info. though Jess.

#1donaldfan
07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
I was too afraid to ask this Q for years....now I know....

.....but in these here WV hills we call that thar the place whar they make them thar good steaks......ha, ha !!:cool:

ILoveLegos
07-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Too bad the dictionary still has it wrong as far as the main entry.

The letters are

てっぱんやき
te -(small tsu)*-pa-n-ya-ki
*=when there is a small or subscripted tsu character, it denotes that the character immediately follows would be held for a brief second, as if pausing before saying that character. The small tsu is silent and not spoken. Hence the -pa becomes -ppa. And since -n is never used by itself because it has no pronunciation of it's own, it is always added as the last sound to the letter than precedes it. So, when combining -っぱん, it will become -ppan when written in romanji and for pronunciation.

If that makes sense.

The explaination makes sense, thank-you. I've had the conversation with a native speaking friend too, although not a teacher. He laughed and said he still understands me with my Jersey accent. I'm trying to get rid of that of course! :-o

dumbo_buddy
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
"Luh cell YAY"
or based on the food,
"Outback"

LOL!:mickey:

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
The explaination makes sense, thank-you. I've had the conversation with a native speaking friend too, although not a teacher. He laughed and said he still understands me with my Jersey accent. I'm trying to get rid of that of course! :-o

I work with a few girls who speak Japanese and they've been helping me. Thankfully, I don't have much of an accent even though I'm from the South.

Epc0tphr34k
07-10-2008, 12:02 PM
straight from my french candian wife's keyboard

phonetic pronunciation is "leh sell-ee-yay"

joonyer
07-10-2008, 03:14 PM
We just translate it and say "The Cellar"

garymacd
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Lu* Sell-ee-a**
**Like the letter "a"

Actually, Le is pronounced more like LOOK, but without the K. Provided you don't pronounce LOOK like LUKE.

"Kinda like 'Tuh Mater'. But without the Tuh."

BTW: it's pronounced about, not aboot. :rotfl:

Natazu
07-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Le vi OH sa, not Le vi o SAH.

mom2morgan
07-10-2008, 11:25 PM
Le vi OH sa, not Le vi o SAH.

LOL - that cracked me up :-)

As for the original question - for what it's worth I'm Canadian and lived in Montreal for some time - it is roughly "Le Sell-Yay" It would need an e on the end to be Le Sell-Yaire...without one, the r is silent.

Momof2boys
07-11-2008, 12:45 PM
We pronounce it Le Cell E A

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-11-2008, 03:29 PM

Lu* Sell-ee-a**
**Like the letter "a"

:D That sounds pretty much how the very polite CM repeated it back when I may my ADR request is south Mississippian for LUH SELLER

Jasper
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Of course what many of us are overlooking in trying to pronounce LeCellier is the fact that even though it may be a French word it is actually a name taken from French Canada and not directly from the country of France. That means that even if the French Canadians don't pronounce the word exactly according to the French dictionary their version of the pronunciation is still correct.

As an example, I live in a county that was named after a man who man happened to come to this country in the late 1700's from France, joined the American army, became a Colonel in the Engineering Corps and as a result was sent to perform the first survey of this part of Indiana that was still technically a part of the "wild west." Anyway, this guys last name was Dubois which is pronounce Do bwa in the French language. (or at least as close as I can do phonetically.)

However, by the 1820's this county was made up of something like 99% German immigrants and remained almost completely of German descent until just the last 20-30 years. Naturally the Germans that came here struggled pronouncing that French name. Plus, the German immigrants who had taken control of the county just didn't like the idea of their county being named after a Frenchman. So, they "Americanized" the name to become Do Boys with the emphasis being strongest on the "b" in Boys. Does that make the pronunciation incorrect? According to the dictionary it does, but since that pronunciation has been used for over 175 years it does make it correct for this place and at this time.

So, while it is fun for us to discuss the matter of how LeCellier is pronounced, ultimately it is up to the French Canadians to weigh in and let us know how they pronounce it!

mom2morgan
07-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Umm...yes, and I believe that more than one of us already has ;-)

Of course what many of us are overlooking in trying to pronounce LeCellier is the fact that even though it may be a French word it is actually a name taken from French Canada and not directly from the country of France. That means that even if the French Canadians don't pronounce the word exactly according to the French dictionary their version of the pronunciation is still correct.

As an example, I live in a county that was named after a man who man happened to come to this country in the late 1700's from France, joined the American army, became a Colonel in the Engineering Corps and as a result was sent to perform the first survey of this part of Indiana that was still technically a part of the "wild west." Anyway, this guys last name was Dubois which is pronounce Do bwa in the French language. (or at least as close as I can do phonetically.)

However, by the 1820's this county was made up of something like 99% German immigrants and remained almost completely of German descent until just the last 20-30 years. Naturally the Germans that came here struggled pronouncing that French name. Plus, the German immigrants who had taken control of the county just didn't like the idea of their county being named after a Frenchman. So, they "Americanized" the name to become Do Boys with the emphasis being strongest on the "b" in Boys. Does that make the pronunciation incorrect? According to the dictionary it does, but since that pronunciation has been used for over 175 years it does make it correct for this place and at this time.

So, while it is fun for us to discuss the matter of how LeCellier is pronounced, ultimately it is up to the French Canadians to weigh in and let us know how they pronounce it!

Natazu
07-12-2008, 06:54 PM
All I know is if you pronounce if correctly to WDW-DINE, they have no idea what you're talking about.

Magic Smiles
07-12-2008, 11:00 PM
Le Cellier. Just refer to it as the Best Restaurant in WDW. :mickey:

Crow
07-13-2008, 02:25 AM
the cellar

jszczur5
07-14-2008, 07:21 PM
"Luh cell YAY"
or based on the food,
"Outback"

For us, it's Luh cell YAY, and based on the food, " Must Come Back". Hands down, the best meal of our 10 day free DDP last summer.

andreallybadeggs
07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
"So, while it is fun for us to discuss the matter of how LeCellier is pronounced, ultimately it is up to the French Canadians to weigh in and let us know how they pronounce it!"

Correct, but since most of the "serious" ;) attempts to pronounce Le Cellier have been at least in the ballpark can we all move on now and agree not to call the restaurant just down the road "Lez Chefs DAY France" :D

McGoofy
07-16-2008, 04:05 AM
Yeah...what the Canadians said...

I think that is pretty close to how we've been saying it..."luh-sell-yay."

I hope that is right. I am really big on pronouncing names correctly since most of my life people have said my name incorrectly.

At any rate, they must know what I am talking about when I call WDW-Dine because that's when they usually say, "I'm sorry ma'm. All the dinners for that day are booked. Would you like to try another day?";)

mom2morgan
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah...what the Canadians said...

I think that is pretty close to how we've been saying it..."luh-sell-yay."

I hope that is right. I am really big on pronouncing names correctly since most of my life people have said my name incorrectly.

At any rate, they must know what I am talking about when I call WDW-Dine because that's when they usually say, "I'm sorry ma'm. All the dinners for that day are booked. Would you like to try another day?";)

Tar-uh, like rhymes with car? Or Tare-uh? :-) Mine is Stasia, so I get some interesting variations. and one of my girl's is "kiana" - same problem! :-)

McGoofy
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Tar-uh, like rhymes with car? Or Tare-uh? :-) Mine is Stasia, so I get some interesting variations. and one of my girl's is "kiana" - same problem! :-)

See what I'm talking about....;) That's not it. It's actually the true old southern pronounciation. It's "Ta" (short "a"--like you are getting ready to say the word "tap," but leave off the "p." --then add the word "ruh" ("ru" short sound, like you are getting ready to say the word "rub" with out the letter "b." But that's ok, I'll answer to just about anything because I've been fighting this fight for quite some time--just call me Le Cellier. ;);)

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Like Scarlett's house?

Goes4FastPass
07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
50 replies and 1,000 views!
Maybe we should pronounce it
Get - a - life
:beat:

Coccinelle
07-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Le (like ''the'' but replace the ''Th'' by an ''l'')
Cell (like ''said' but replace the ''D'' with and ''L'')
ier (like ''yay'')

...hum...not sure if i am clear but...i tried!!!!:thumbsup:

PittFan
07-20-2008, 10:21 PM
The first time we ate their I pronounced it Lay Sell Air and that is the only pronounciation my kids will use now. ..lol. Even though I know it's wrong, it will always be Lay Sell Air in my family. :D By the way, it happens to be our favorite . A must do for every trip.

IamBelle
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
we say la-sell-ee-air

Goes4FastPass
07-23-2008, 11:04 AM
we say la-sell-ee-air

If this is an opinion poll that's fine but if French is the goal then la-sell-ee-air is een-COR-ect.