PDA

View Full Version : DVC member making $$$ res.

d_m_n_n
07-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Can a DVC member make a cash-only (no pts.) reservation at the discounted rate for a non-member? The DVC member won't be on the trip...:confused:

dlpmikki
07-09-2008, 03:57 AM
The simple answer to that is no. The discounted room rate is for members only when they are staying.

d_m_n_n
07-09-2008, 07:57 AM
Thanks, Mikki! A (newly purchased) DVC member offered to do it for me, but I didn't want to get to Check-in and find out otherwise! When something sounds too good to be true...:)

Terk24
07-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Yet, another "Disney it depends who you talk to" moment. I booked a discount for a friend and was told that is perfectly acceptable.

Maleficent's Dad
07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
...uh, Mikki, I don't mean to disagree, but respectfully, I must.

I've made cash (DVC discount) reservations for family members twice in the past year. During both stays, I've first made my own ressies on points, then added another ressie on cash.

My understanding is that in the past year, they've gotten more lenient with the stated policy. It used to be pretty firm that if you made cash ressies, a DVC Member had to be in that room. In my experience, that's not been the case as of late.

dlpmikki
07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
I only meant they had to be on the same trip, not in the same room. Terk, was that the case for you?

dlpmikki
07-09-2008, 12:35 PM
Now I've been searching the website and the handbook for some kind of confirmation and I can't even find cash bookings mentioned and we all know about the discount existing. DVC can be frustrating at times!

DestinationWDW
07-09-2008, 04:56 PM
We booked a cash room for my Father in law and his wife and received the discount. But we will be on site at the same time.

Kidsmom
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
WE have too booked $$ reserv. for others on a trip with me in other DVC rooms. My last phone call I asked about making these reserv. for a family member when we are not there. They said No Problem...members don't have to be there.

Just like renting out your points....the reservation is only done through the member and put on a credit card to secure. Our friends changed the credit card to their at check in. The reserv. confirmation is sent to you and everything is handled through you....they can not contact member services. BUT...you don't have to be there....just like renting out your points.

There is only a limited amount of these DVC $$ discount rooms available....so it could be an issue. We were able to get AKL 6 weeks out for two familes (2 studios) during NY state spring break!

We are looking to do it again during next Feb. But I have not done it without us being on property......although they say it can be done.

Good Luck!

Terk24
07-10-2008, 10:44 AM
We were not on the trip with them. Unfortunately we were back in Chicago :-(