PDA

View Full Version : Live Action within Magic Kingdom

Rhetoric2000
07-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi Folks,

I thought, having viewed a couple of the "memory lane" threads we've had recently that it was time to bring up something that I remember so vividly from my own childhood - widespread live entertainment within the Magic Kingdom and peoples memories of it.

Many people rightly lament the passing of rides such as 20,000 leagues and Mr Toad, but for me the abiding memory of many of my early trips to WDW was the real life stuff.

I know there is still similar entertainment on Main Street to what there was in 1990ish (though much of MSUSA has changed) however do people remember when:

- Cowboys fought each other on the rooftops of Frontierland (which you wouldn't get now for a whole host of reasons).
- The actual proper Diamond Horseshoe Jamboree.
- Kayaking around Tom Sawyer island.
- Steel Drums in Caribbean Plaza.
- Sword in the Stone ceremony.

And more specifically does anybody know when each of these things ended? And remember any other snippets like this? I've always wondered - particularly about the cowboys which I'd almost convinced myself I'd made up until my mother confirmed it.

scoot241
07-08-2008, 10:23 AM
In one of my WDW souvenier photo books (circa 1991?) it has a picture of people canoeing in the Rivers of America.

tss22
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I participated in the sword in the stone ceremony about 4 years ago. Is it gone now?

joanna71985
07-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I participated in the sword in the stone ceremony about 4 years ago. Is it gone now?

Yes. The Sword in the Stone show ended in Aug 2006.:(

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm sure canoing had to do with safety reasons - there was a kid who drowned, not as a result of the canoing but because they snuck across to Tom Sawyer Island by swimming across.

Or alligators. I know for a fact there are gators in there - or any body of water on property.

Plus that water is really quite disgusting - when we do the Canoe Races Around the World, if we fall into the water, it's an immediate trip to Health Services because it's so gross.