PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody you know not like Disney?

disneycutie165
07-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Our family loves Disney, and we love going. Our relatives think we're crazy!:blowup: They are so boring! My Disney Boyfriend thinks I 'm crazy too!:mad:It frustrates me because they've never been before, they would like it if they tried!

Dragongirlx
07-08-2008, 10:09 AM
My Brother in law doesn't like Disney and when my neice was little didn't want us to buy her Disney stuff. :mad:

However she is such a little princess that she now gets disney stuff when ever she wants. She has also started to ask me and my twin sister to take her to disney world when she is older (shes only 4).

I did ask her if we could take her little brother too to which she promptley answered no because Disney is only for girls :laughing:

disneydeb
07-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Yeah, but that just means a bit of a shorter line for me to stand in! To each their own! :D

peemagg
07-08-2008, 10:37 AM
My brother-in-law was one who didn't like Disney. He thought it was like Cedar Point and since he doesn't do rides he would be bored. We got him to go this past January and before the trip was over he was talking about their next trip down in a few years when the kids are older. He is now a convert.:thumbsup::funny:

cknorr28
07-08-2008, 10:39 AM
My DW does not like it as much as myself and kids do. I would go every year if I could but she wants to go to different places. :confused:

xipetotec
07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Our family loves Disney, and we love going. Our relatives think we're crazy!:blowup: They are so boring! My Disney Boyfriend thinks I 'm crazy too!:mad:It frustrates me because they've never been before, they would like it if they tried!

Well i can relate. I have a couple of relatives who don't "get" it and refuse to. Thing is, they imagine it as just any theme park, but with "fluffy characters" walking around. a world of the artificial. I don't think they know just HOW much WDW has to offer. That you wouldn't even HAVE TO step foot int he parks if you didn't want to and would still have lots to do. I can proudly say though that I've helped convert a couple of people by just having them GO.

But... some people just don't like heat, or crowds, and this is enough to turn them off. To each their own, more for me :)

Itchy
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
My kids and I just love it. My youngest is now 23 and will be going with her sister, 1 yr old niece, mother ( ex-wife ), and I.

The ex would rather go some place she has not been before but is not complaining since I am footing the bill.

Isn't it amazing how attitudes change when someone else is paying the way.:mickey:

xipetotec
07-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Isn't it amazing how attitudes change when someone else is paying the way.:mickey:

Well that's reasonable :). I'll go pretty much anywhere if I'm not paying. If I have to save up my own money to go somewhere, I'll be very careful what I'm spending on. If somene ELSE is paying... heck! a vacation's a vacation! :)

buzz638
07-08-2008, 12:10 PM
In my case, it's not the fact that people around me do not like Disney, it's more about the repeat visit !!!
It's going to be our 5th visit this december, and familly and friends don't understand why we keep going back to the same place to see the same things again and again...

I just tell them : just go once and you'll understand everything. The magic,the joy,the fun...

Can't wait for the 5th, and not the last visit:thumbsup:

Buzz

amd780
07-08-2008, 12:23 PM
My DW does not like it as much as myself and kids do. I would go every year if I could but she wants to go to different places. :confused:
My DH is the same way. He loves Disney, but he's not obsessed like I am! :D I keep pushing for another trip to WDW, but he says he'd rather go somewhere we've never been before. :)

BMan62
07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
We have friends that we have tried to get to come with us on a trip, but they always beg off - He doesn't do rides and she doesn't like shows, so they miss out on sooooo much!!!

DisneyOtaku
07-08-2008, 04:42 PM
I've gotten into a very, ahem, heated arguement with a friend of mine over my love of Disney. She wouldn't go there because "the dinosaur ride there can't compete with the Jurassic Park ride" :mad: (she's a big dino fan).

Yes, because ONE RIDE makes and breaks a WHOLE theme park. Esp. since that one ride is only in one of FOUR parks. And never mind she's never BEEN on Dinosaur.

But now she started asking me on how to plan a Disney vacation for her and her family...so there is some hope yet! :thumbsup:

Gottaluvgoof
07-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I know people who have been there and don't like it at all. I think it is more about the time of year they went and the crowds than it is them not liking Disney. Honestly, I went one June and wasn't very fond of it. Even with fast passes and knowing my way around, it was pretty unbearable, especially at the MK. Just getting a drink was difficult. It was very hot and the lines for a drink or food was ridiculous. I go now during off peak times and I'm trying to convince those who didn't like it in June, that it is a whole different place in September.

Tinksalot
07-08-2008, 08:41 PM
My DH doesn't like Disney. Our whole family is crazy about Disney. We go every year! He tolerates it once every few years to be with the kids and grandkids. He doesn't understand my obsession, and I don't understand how he couldn't love Disney! :shrug::shrug:

SBETigg
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
When we were getting married and told my in-laws we were planning to honeymoon in Disney, they thought we were crazy and there was no convincing them that they might like it. For years. My FIL passed away and we had a falling out with the MIL, and then she finally went to WDW and ended up buying a timeshare nearby, not DVC but still, I'm happy to know she went and enjoyed it enough to keep going back. ;)

I do have a few friends who don't understand the appeal.

Lorraine444
07-08-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm upsetting my son this summer because we are going back! He enjoy's the rides, I think he just doesn't take the heat well, and this will be his 3rd time in August. :sun:
Since he's 13 he has to go whether he wants to or not, I can't just leave him home. :noway: :sorry:
My friend has a Time Share 2 miles away, and it's going to save me alot of money with the hotel cost. I can't see going somewhere else & paying 500.00 for a hotel?
I LOVE BEING A KID AGAIN, and Disney does this to me!
:mjump::donald::goofy:

Dsnygirl
07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Yup -- my mom!! She can't figure out where my "obsession" came from... I say it was deprivation. ;) She just rolls her eyes...

A lot of folks I work with don't "get it", either... they think it's for families with little kids, and that once they pass a certain age, you'd never go again if you didn't have to... boy are they missing out!!! :crazy:

DisneyorBust
07-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I just shake my head at those people I know that don't like Disney World even though they have never gone to WDW. They will even spout off 'facts' as to why it's not enjoyable. I then smile when I think that there is one less person in front of us in the queue.:D

IloveDisney71
07-08-2008, 09:42 PM
My best friend's DH doesn't care for Disney and only goes occasionally...but the good news is that I get to go with her so she doesn't have to go by herself! :mickey:

Young@Heart
07-09-2008, 02:59 AM
DS's best friend said he doesn't like Disney. DS is often influenced by his friends' opinions, but luckily he brushed this comment off! ;)

My mom doesn't "get it", and although she took me when I was 12, and I believe took my sisters before I was born, she has no interest in ever going again.

I think this stinks, b/c I'd love to plan a girl's trip w/ just me, DD, and her. Someday, I might just surprise her w/ a trip and force her to come w/ me!

dismommy
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
A friend of mine doesn't, she says she went once as a kid doesn't need to go back. Now that she is about to have a child of her own she is changing her story a little to I guess we'll have to take the kids, but i think once she sees how much it's changed she'll be hoked also. The last time she was there the only Disney hotels were the Poly and the Contemporary!

Marker
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Of course. I have friends and relatives that are not fans. A couple years ago we went with my brother-in-law's family. He's one that really doesn't "get it". We had been out at the beach visiting relatives, and planned 4 nights at WDW. He, along with one of my nephews, planned for only 2 nights. They went into the parks for one day, and knew they'd be ready to go. They flew on home ahead of the rest of us, including his wife and other son.

I know there are folks who are either going to just plain not like it, or don't "get it". I know a lot of people who scoff at our desire to return as often as we do. Heck, even my wife, who love going, just doesn't like going as often as my daughter and I.

But it doesn't bother me in the least. I like what I like because I like it. And there are places and things that they like to do that I don't care for. Everyone has their own preferences. It really makes no difference to me if they enjoy WDW or not... to each his own.

MMouse6937
07-09-2008, 03:42 PM
I have to say DH isn't as into it as I am, but he certainly respects my enthusiasm and has come to enjoy the trips. I can't say anyone can't stand my Disney obsession but most people don't "get it" and think we're a little crazy for going at least once a year. I do hate when people find out were going the first questions they ask is "how many kids do you have?" :mad: ARGH, NONE!!!

DisneyDog
07-10-2008, 11:42 AM
My co-worker just got back from a trip (for those of you who remember my post about laughing at my co-worker because she went out and bought brand new shoes for Disney because they were "cute", this is the same person).

She did not take any of my advice. She didn't make one meal reservation and just winged it. She didn't plan anything out at all. She didn't show up at the parks each day until lunch time. Then she came back and complained that it was too hot, the lines were all too long and they couldn't find anyplace decent to eat. She swears she's never going back.

tink'72
07-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Each year I get from family and friends...your'e going back again????????? They just don't get it....

laward32
07-11-2008, 09:14 PM
My whole family loves Disney. My husband on the other hand would rather have nails put in his eyes than go on another Disney trip. My girls and I just go without him now. My parents live in Florida and they meet us there. When my girls are a little older than I won't worry too much about having to make sure my parents can go. But its also a nice excuse to get to see them. They could be moving to Orlando to work at Disney in the near future. Yeah!!!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
07-11-2008, 10:50 PM
My sister. She doesn't even know we are going back in August yet. She rolls her eyes, and strikes this whole attitude like we're insane, like something is way wrong with us! She is almost making fun of us. Its really uncomfortable to be a part of, because I love my sister dearly, but she doesn't get this, and never will. She prefers "natural, real" places over fakeness. This is how she puts it. I like other kinds of vacations too. BUT..there is nothing fake about feeling happy, magical, and like a kid again. There is nothing fake about the way we "come together" as a family in WDW., free of outside distractions. Thats how I feel. I love my WDW!

PAYROLL PRINCESS
07-13-2008, 02:29 AM
My older sister doesn't like Disney. But when her son started dating a girl who liked it all of a sudden she said she does like it she just doesn't like the crowds and besides (according to her) she never said she didn't like it. But my other sisters have heard her say it many times too. I think she said she likes it partly so we'd ask her if she wanted to go, something we've never done.
I went with her, my nephew who was 4 at the time and her (now ex) husband. They fought constantly the whole trip. She kept saying that if she couldn't be happy at the Happiest Place on Earth, there must be something wrong! There was, but not with WDW!

parrothed26
07-13-2008, 09:32 AM
We've been going for 32 years. i actually have home movies of my mother pregnant with me at disney ( my first trip). And my family is equally as obsessed. But my now ex-wife never grasped the importance of my physical need to be there at least once a year. Luckily my son does :) One day I'll meet someone who understands me lol!

VolMickey
07-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Only folks I know that aren't into Disney when we talk about it (at work) are people with (1) no kids or (2) older folks who've never been. It's infectious once you go. :pixie:

As the Borg would say. "Resistance is futile." :mickey3:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Strangely enough, the people I know who don't get it and say they don't like Disney, have actually never been to Disney:scratch:

azdisneymom
07-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Yup, dh is not fond of:

1) lines
2) waiting
3) humid weather
4) did I say lines

Our last trip was a girls only trip, only dd and I. It was so much fun.

Stich8818
07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Well see my DW is into Disney (albeit not as much as me) but she tries when she gets there she is excited. But some of her family could care less..they just dont get it. We tried talking mil and fil to go next year with us. But MIL is like " There is no relaxing there and there is no beach there" ( to my reply was yes there is Beaches and Cream) blah blah blah from her. They have not been there in 20+ years so they would not know all the wonder that is Disney..Oh well I guess...their loss...

Not to mention my Bil is marrying this girl, and yes I used girl she is not the nicest person..She told me about a week ago that she would love to go to Disney but there are too many kids? I just walked away...

Texas Tinkerbell Too
07-16-2008, 06:50 PM
My co-worker just got back from a trip (for those of you who remember my post about laughing at my co-worker because she went out and bought brand new shoes for Disney because they were "cute", this is the same person).

She did not take any of my advice. She didn't make one meal reservation and just winged it. She didn't plan anything out at all. She didn't show up at the parks each day until lunch time. Then she came back and complained that it was too hot, the lines were all too long and they couldn't find anyplace decent to eat. She swears she's never going back.

Wow...if we didn't live so far away I would think we were talking about the same co-worker. It's been a few years since she went with her family and I still harrass her "You didn't like Disney??? Are you sure you went to Disney World and not one of the "OTHER" Orlando parks?" She just laughs at me. She definitely doesn't "get it."