PDA

View Full Version : Were You in Epcot in 1992 or around there?

jelloarms
07-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Maybe you can help me. I can’t remember the name of a particular discontinued Epcot stage show. I would like to watch it on Youtube or something but I have no idea what the keywords should be.

WHERE: Epcot. I’m not sure what land it was in. Definetley not one of the countries in World Showcase.

WHEN: 1992.

WHO: The characters featured were Mickey, Minnie, Chip & Dale, Pluto, and I think Goofy.

WHAT: It was an indoor show. You could eat while the characters performed. After they performed, they came into the audience to meet/greet everyone. I know one of the songs they danced to was an upbeat-pop version of the Mickey Mouse Club song.

Does anyone know the name of the show I am talking about? Or at the very least, remember something like this?

disneydeb
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I was there then, but I don't remember anything like that at Epcot. Are you sure it wasn't in the MK at Mickey's toon town?:D

TheRustyScupper
07-08-2008, 11:19 AM
In 1992, The Odyssey Restaurant had a character lunch.

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Rusty, that's what I remember too. Odyssey had a small stage and the characters would put on a show and then to exit they would interact with the crowd and exit. We enjoyed it and had one of my best character interactions with Goofy and Mickey wiping my mouth with my napkin. They kept seeing things to clean off and trying to "tidy' me up and kept it up for about 5 minutes. The crowd loved it.:mickey:

jelloarms
07-08-2008, 03:04 PM
In 1992, The Odyssey Restaurant had a character lunch.

Where exactly was the Oddessy resturant?

Imagineer1981
07-08-2008, 05:52 PM
The Odyssey is, if you are heading towards World Showcase from Future World, its immediately on your far far left,
there is a small path that leads from Test Track to it as you walk towards mexico

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Wasn't it a futuristic theme? For some reason I remember being at a character meal as a kid and it was with Mickey and Goofy and such in Space Outfits.

Polynesian Dweller
07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Wasn't it a futuristic theme? For some reason I remember being at a character meal as a kid and it was with Mickey and Goofy and such in Space Outfits.

You are triggering memories.:mickey: I think that at least one time that's correct because I vaguely remember the space theme as well.

TINKERBELL_82
07-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Darn, I have a vague memory of this too! Was it called "Splashtacular" or something like that?

MauiMouse
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Could it have been called "Stargate"? It was located in CommuniCore East. Granted I don't have a 1992 books, but I do have an old 1994 Birnbaum guide and was checking it out. In 1994 the Odyssey was fast food American Style.

Stargate is also fast food, but it said that "The Disney characters make an appearance during breakfast hours." It doesn't mention anything about a stage show though. Just a thought.;)

Edit to Add:

Darn, I have a vague memory of this too! Was it called "Splashtacular" or something like that?
I did find that yes Splashtacular Show was indeed in Epcot Center in 1993.

Found more information:

Splashtacular was actually based on a Tokyo Disneyland show called "It's Magical: Tokyo Disneyland 10th Anniversary Spectacular". The premise of the show was that Sorcerer Mickey took classic Disney characters and the audience though a world of color. Maleficent then shows up and takes the colors away. She turns into a dragon and Mickey battles her (like in Fantasmic) to bring color back to the world.
The Epcot version of this show premiered in 1994 and was held in the large fountain behind Spaceship Earth. In addition to a name change, Mickey's costume was changed to a futuristic style. As with the Tokyo Disneyland show, the characters started out with a tribute to colors. Minnie sang about the shade of pink. Chip and Dale liked green. Pluto and Goofy's favorite colors were yellow and orange. Donald was partial to blue. The music and most of the costumes were the same as the Tokyo Disneyland show, although the villains became robotic bad guys with a dinosaur-like mechanical monster.
The show featured nearly 50 performers and also a giant inflatable rainbow balloon. The computer-controlled fountain was capable of sending jets of rainbow-colored water high into the air (up to 150 feet) and synchronizing action with symphonic music.
Splashtacular didn't last very long. The show may have been canceled because it created pedestrian traffic jams and if it was windy, the audience and the actors would get drenched!

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Lol, no I wasn't referring to Splashtacular.

I remember a character meal, it might have been breakfast but I think it was lunch or dinner. I'll have to go to my mom's house and dig through the photos to find the one of me and Mickey in his Space outfit.

Then again, for some reason, I am also thinking it might have been at Cosmic Rays. Did they ever have characters walking around there during meals?

jelloarms
07-09-2008, 12:48 AM

No, this meal was not futuristic. They were all wearing their regular outfits.

Martino
07-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I was there in May 1992, and can't recall this at all, Sorry! I do remember the outside show when they were dressed in Spacesuits

CaptainJessicaSparrow
07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Hmmm, well, I know there was a character meal in which they work their futuristic outfits. I'll have to go find the pictures from my mom's house.

Was there a time when they made appearances at Cosmic Rays?